Product Chat / Parallax Mapping or Tessellation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 06:30 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 06:41
Is GG going to have Parallax mapping or Tessellation mapping. I hope so it really brings normal maps to life.
Example

"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 12:22 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 13:13
Quote: "Is GG going to have Parallax mapping or Tessellation mapping. I hope so it really brings normal maps to life.
Example "

This is my opinion only but right off the bat .... The first pictures on normal look perfectly good to me ... medium and high just look like bloated exaggerations of the first pic and really don't give me a WOW factor ... For me its a waste of resources...
Others may not agree though ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 13:27 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 13:43
Quote: "This is my opinion only but right off the bat .... The first pictures on normal look perfectly good to me ... medium and high just look like bloated exaggerations of the first pic and really don't give me a WOW factor ... For me its a waste of resources... "

I have to agree here,starting to see a lot of over pumped normals lately.it just dosent look real life to me.

Edit. Although it might be good for pipes and wires on panels.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 14:55 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 15:11
first picture with bricks i think is worth its weight in gold, it brings bricks to life,

as to other things yeah, like having swimming weather day and nights, a working world environment that is working, and then mess with parallax, etc

i know there are scripts etc, but underwater swimming with effects for under. like x10 has. also particles are a good thing, and good ai, which is being worked on next, 6 years i been waiting for a world environment, instead we get extras that are not essential to the engine. to my knowledge. anyway day and night with weather timers etc. there are workarounds but i think after ai the world environment needs some tlc.

the tlc has gone to a buiding editor and upgrade to 11 which should of been the iitial move. would of saved a year of messing around.
can you actually come and give us world environment treatment as its just no where near manageable to present to anyone at moment.

you want the amazing photos for getting sales. give us world weather nights and day cycles, particles and good working water then i will give you your showcase and i am sure the others wil too. sort the world out after ai and i will get you sales. a promise

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 15:41
That was me i geuss with the pomped up normals.

But think of this, while it might be overboard for the average wall or floor, it does look good on pebbles and old castle walls, it really transforms the scene.

Lee has gone for parallax occlusion.
While i'm learning and trying out things, it seems that we can achieve the same result with parallax mapping as is seen in the picture with tessellation.
But i agree, to much is not good and it is a true skill to make good PBR textures.
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 17:17 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 17:21
To me it looks way better. Adds a lot of depth to any texture. Is parallax occlusion added yet? Or is that what hes working on now?
"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 17:46
I think it is still being worked on, i have actually not really tested if the height map is working in the preview version.

I did find this little programm with which we can preview different techniques.

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 18:13
It's pretty sure, but I'd rather have core engine function than some more new, barely working, shiny stuff.
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 20:12
Quote: "you want the amazing photos for getting sales. give us world weather nights and day cycles, particles and good working water then i will give you your showcase and i am sure the others wil too. sort the world out after ai and i will get you sales. a promise"

Yes i partly agree with this , but ...

The problem we have and maybe i am wrong,,, Is that we all want to have different things, and we all keep on complaining to have new things ( and i am one of them ) even thou the ones we have right now is not working 100% perfectly. maybe we must start with one thing and finished it before we jump to the next thing / upgrade / new release, of what we want. I think Lee is at this stage maybe pretty tired off all the request from our side. ( maybe not ) , if i were Lee i would not take on any more request until i have fix or upgrade the things we have now to a state were we can definitely say , ok its fine lets move on to the next most important thing what ever it may be.

Just a though .

Thanks for the hard work lee.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 20:47 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 20:48
If I was Lee I wouldn't take ANY requests, until the core engine, core features, and everything on the store blurb is in place and working properly, and efficiently, at which point I would go back to the voting system for ADDITIONAL features. The way it is now, we jus end up going around in circles arguing over what we want personally, and meanwhile core issues don't get resolved fully.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 21:01
Quote: "If I was Lee I wouldn't take ANY requests, until the core engine, core features, and everything on the store blurb is in place and working properly, and efficiently, at which point I would go back to the voting system for ADDITIONAL features. "

Yep.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
All I care about is easy custom character import. PBR is nice yes, but its moot unless I can use my own characters. But since I know import is not going to be fixed any time soon I was wanting to play with nothing but PBR.
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2018 23:31 Edited at: 12th Jan 2018 23:42
Quote: "It's pretty sure, but I'd rather have core engine function than some more new, barely working, shiny stuff.
"

Same.

- Copy and Pasting Select Groups of Entities
- Entity on Grid Drawing Mode (Similar to EBE drawing)
- Switch Skyboxes via LUA (day and night)
- Dynamically control sun position via LUA (day and night)
- Stock Swimming script (integrated with global player LUA)
- Custom weapon and projectile modifications
- Fix Explosion Shadows
- Fix footfall material index sounds with custom terrains
- Particle Effects System (next up on the feature list)
- AI improvements (navigation and raycasting)
- 3rd Person weapons changing
- Background Video (featured in FPSCx9)
- Blood decals to cling to walls and floor (featured in FPSCx9)
- Bullet holes and gashes decals (featured in FPSCx9)
- Material Index sound folder for pushing, bumping objects (featured in FPSCx9)
- Multiple Grass types

I think those would be more important than flashy stuff at the moment. But that's just me Of course.. most important is finishing off what is started. PBR, bugs associated with DX11.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2018 14:17
@ Teabone - I agree with what you have listed there 100%. Those are the basic features that should have been implemented a long time ago.
PM
Johno 15
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2018 16:12
@Teabone - That list is absolutely correct, the engine would be so much more capable if it had those basic basic features, a lot of which existed back in FPSC X9/X10! I really do hope Lee tries to sort this out once and for all
'Judge a man not by his answers. But by his questions.'
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2018 00:23
Quote: "Yes i partly agree with this , but ...

The problem we have and maybe i am wrong,,, Is that we all want to have different things, and we all keep on complaining to have new things ( and i am one of them ) even thou the ones we have right now is not working 100% perfectly. maybe we must start with one thing and finished it before we jump to the next thing / upgrade / new release, of what we want. I think Lee is at this stage maybe pretty tired off all the request from our side. ( maybe not ) , if i were Lee i would not take on any more request until i have fix or upgrade the things we have now to a state were we can definitely say , ok its fine lets move on to the next most important thing what ever it may be. "

i actually think my requests are core to the engine. and ebe is finished, character creator only needs new models, 2 finished and not core parts to the engine, x11 as now been implemented and also we have had ai boosted x 2 now, and the amount of speed ups and options and times to speed up the engine is probably 3 years and continues, we have for 6 years had acid water, a fixed box sky with basic settings etc etc, now core?

what is core?

a working engine tick
a optimised engine tick
now x11 tick
a basic environment tick
occluders and down grade options tick
lots of new shiny lua commands tick
functioning physics tick
3rd person now tick
1st person tick
shaders tick
thats core and the ticks mean they have been done, now you say lets finish them off well the above list says done and working, some will always be updating like optimising etc.

shaders will need more work and thats core,
ai needs more work thats core

ebe and cc err not core

a working environment for games? i think thats core. otherwise you cant make games
this will be weather, day/night swimming, better water, and particles, i think without these a whole selection of genres are not possible, there for i believe they are pretty core and a lot of people are wanting these, now a huge killer is ai, and i think lighting! night scenes are pretty shocking with the switching on and off of lights within areas, this is pretty much a deal breaker, street lights are shocking to light etc, and in dungeons the same,

in the end PC Killer i see your point and i totally agree with not hounding him, but it appears i could just sit quiet and wait another 6 YEARS while everyone else goes on about what they want, and it is sad to say if you dont speak up you dont get heard, see how you are in 6 years without core functions you have been waiting on, it is not a go but i feel i am able to point out that the world environment needs a lot of work too,

anyway i am sure i have not been to demanding but there are a lot of people who want to have skyrims and other types. i dont begrudge anything done its a bonus but i have been waiting 6 years to still not ave swimming anywhere near getting done and the other stuff too.

happy days

sb
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Jan 2018 11:45
@science boy and everyone else who has been waiting for so long. i feel sorry for you guys, i can understand how you feel. lets hope all comes wright very soon.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 10:43 Edited at: 27th Jan 2018 10:44
Parallax Occlusion Mapping and Offset Bump Mapping in GG (first is normal mapped, them POM, then OBM):

Cheers

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 11:53
@ Cybernescence - Wow! How did you achieve that in GG? Looks awesome!
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 12:00
Cyber that looks really good well done are there any downsides ? is it 'interpolated' or does it effect the vertices? nice work
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 12:07
Experimenting with shaders a lot lately. The DX11 pipeline should allow us to use parallax mapping and tesselation.

@synchromesh: Oh yes! As with most shader effects the artist using it matters as much as the technical advancement. I notice a lot of newer indie games that blow parallax mapping way out of proportion. If used right it can be quite impressive though.

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 16:15
@ Wolf - Wowzers! That screenshot looks very impressive!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 23:03
Functioning Physics ... tick? That's a joke right?
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 07:30
@AmenMoses: No? Why? I think its working sufficiently well. Click here for a video.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 14:38
@ solar @ graphix

The GG pbr shader didn't do anything with the height texture assignment so I ported it in.

Can upload it to git at some point if anyone wants it and Lee ok with it. Be warned though it sucks FPS so use sparingly . It doesn't effect geometry all done with tangent space uv remapping via ray queries.

Wolfs version may well be better though - looks great.

Cheers.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 14:45
I would like to check it out when you post it to GitHub.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

srun142
Years of Service
User Offline
Wolf
Experimenting with shaders a lot lately. The DX11 pipeline should allow us to use parallax mapping and tesselation.

HOW DID YOU DO THAT? It is vitally important for me that I can not repeat the same thing!)
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2018 15:57
Woah! hold your horses fellas. I didn't do that, It was just an example to show moderate use of that effect I pulled of the web. Sorry for causing confusion.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:45:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:45:27