3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Need simple game developed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys. I'm a writer, not a game maker. I'll throw this out there, tell me if I'm way off base with my expectations.
I am looking for someone to build a game set in the world of my books to put on a stand alone arcade machine. The machine will be at zombie and comic conventions, set on free play, and is a marketing tool to draw attention to the books. I'm a fairly successful indie writer with a couple of #1 best sellers on amazon. I'm always looking for new ways to get the word out, new guerrilla marketing techniques. I would like to know how much it would cost me to have someone build a simple zombie shooter, something like DOOM, that I can run on the arcade machine using a joystick and a few buttons. I only need one level for the machine.
If this is a project that interests someone, and they can build a good Steam game, we can talk about a full game and royalty share, if there is such a thing in the gaming world. (You build it, we promote using the success of the books as a spring board, maybe we both make money) Thanks for your time, hope my complete ignorance in this field didn't insult anyone.
If you have any interest, the book series is called Zombie Road, it's on Amazon. You can read the blurbs, check out the covers, it'll give you a bit of an idea of the world I want to create in a game.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2017 21:50 Edited at: 28th Dec 2017 21:52
Howdy Eddie!!

Alright, this is certainly an odd one out and I don't see a way to get a GG game onto an arcade machine:

Quote: "a stand alone arcade machine."

Game Guru runs on windows only. You can put up a computer that runs the game but not any type of arcade machine.
I can make you a zombie type game...but making a video game is quite time consuming and a challenge. Especially since I assume that you want the game to mirror the look and vibe you envisioned in your books.

Quote: "I'm a fairly successful indie writer with a couple of #1 best sellers on amazon."

A link to your work on Amazon
Big props to you Eddie/Dave/Eric! You are the first bloke to show up here first post and claim to have previously released work and actually link to it. Must be a late christmas miracle HAHA!

But hey, wether you end up having a game or not! Best luck on that event you go to.

-Wolf
UglyEddie
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Wolf. Appreciate the reply. It's a Mame arcade machine, currently with a Pandora Box running a bunch of arcade ROM's. If I put a windows computer it, then bought an arcade stick I think it would work but a Madcatz stick is $200. Hmmm. The return on investment isn't looking too good. Thanks for the input.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 4th Jan 2018 17:22 Edited at: 4th Jan 2018 17:25
A Madcatz stick wouldn't be any good i'm afraid, the only controllers that are compatible with GameGuru at the moment are XBox controllers (and third party controllers that use the various XBox control methods), and even that's only rudimentary control and not perfect.

The game itself wouldn't be a huge chore, for what you need it would only need to be a rudimentary game, what would probably take time though would be the models, for you to create a game that would feel like your books and story you would need plenty of custom models; modified trucks, a fairly accurate representation of prominent buildings and so on depending on where you wanted it set.

I'm assuming it would be during the timeline of the first book, would you want it set at the "siege" in three flags? in Atlanta where gunny's wife is holed up? The school where Jessie is trapped with his friends? Gunny's home? Personally for a quick single level game that is a rough and quick introduction to the story i would have the level as either the player helping defend three flags from zombie attacks, or a good scene would be the raid in Reno for ammunition where they rescue the guys trapped in the sheriff substation (as you might have guessed, yes, i have read the books, quite a while ago though).

Even a simple game, to get it right, and to create the custom models for it would take quite some time, what sort of a deadline are you on? and can you supply some sketches, rough plans, and designs for how you picture some of the things you describe, for example how three flags is laid out etc?

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2018 17:45
I can appreciate the thought here, not familiar with the OP's work directly but sounds like something feasible.

That said there are a few things I'd caution:
1) Be very discriminating about who does your work. Game-Guru products vary wildly. Check their previous projects, specifically in the work in progress category of the board.
2) Understand that Game-Guru doesn't handle 'very complicated things' well. Keep it simple for the sake of your sanity and a bug-free experience.
3) Don't go too big. Keep it small, maybe 2-4 total levels. Ambitious design is fun but generally ends up in a death spiral. Plus if you're doing a trade show a simple quick game that's fun with some depth to it is plenty, IMO. I'd probably save a bigger steam-based title for a different release schedule/etc. I'd probably have a demo (for trade shows and general freebie marketing release) and then a full version.

Good luck on your project
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2018 19:29
I'm not familiar with the madcatz stick, but any other arcade controls interface with a PC great with the ipac from ultimarc. I use that in my mame machine and can play GG stuff with it. As I'm more used to the keyboard for these kinds of games, though, I seldom do it.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 00:06
Quote: " If I put a windows computer it, then bought an arcade stick I think it would work but a Madcatz stick is $200. Hmmm. The return on investment isn't looking too good. Thanks for the input."

If that would break your budget, what were you thinking it would cost to contract a game?
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 00:16 Edited at: 5th Jan 2018 00:21
I was able to get an FPSC game running on an arcade machine However it was inside a PC tower inside with a monitor LCD rigged to the facing.

Specially for a convention type setting as well. I used a program called Xpadder to assign the keys to the joystick and buttons.

https://www.xpadder.com
http://qpdownload.com/xpadder/

Xpadder allows you to use ANY (xpadder supported) control device as the keyboard.

Are you building the arcade yourself with wood? You'll need to find a xpadder USB compatible arcade style control piece.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
UglyEddie:
Another option could be to make the game in GameGuru and convert it to AGK using GameGuru Loader , this would allow you to use other types of joysticks ... and would also allow you to publish the game on mobiles/webgl/windows/mac/linux. Perhaps just have your game presented using a touchscreen so no joystick or special build arcade machine is needed.

What this means is that you could actually use the game to advertise your books ( the other way around ) , so you publish your game on the apple store / google play store / browser etc.. for free , and inside your game ( with a storyline you define ) you could link directly to your Amazon books.

I think with a game using your story , and linking to your books would be a great way to sell more books , you play the game - the story is great - you also want to read the books.

"Zombie Road" i believe this keyword on the apple store and google play store would draw a lot of organic traffic to your game and advertise your books.

best regards Preben Eriksen,
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 12th Jan 2018 12:51 Edited at: 12th Jan 2018 14:36
Just finished reading the third book (i'd read the first two a while ago before the third was out ad forgotten about it until this thread), it's a great story, and i can't wait for you to write the next series (i am actually quite surprised these books were released to be honest, considering the underlying cause of the zombie virus and current political situations with those involved, i would be too scared to publish in case my name ended up on a list somewhere lol), looking forward to reading more about the road angels (Jessies) exploits after the third battle of lakota.

There's a lot you could do with a game from this series, but for the purpose you need it, i would keep it short and sweet, there's no point having the game actually follow the story, but have it modeled in the stories style with hints at the story line, involving key locations.

Maybe something along the lines of setting it after everything's settled and some travelers have come across three flags and gotten themselves trapped inside and have to blast their way out, looking for ammo and supplies, maybe a few minor puzzles to unlock etc.

Or if you want it set in the timeline of the story maybe set it in the final part of the 3rd battle, you are alone defending a section of the wall and have to kill zombies approaching or die trying.

Something simple and uncomplicated would be best.

I would be quite happy to make a few of the models for you when i get time, but i'm not sure i would have time to make an actual game, in fact i've been sitting at work mulling over the idea for a few days, and trying to picture three flags in my head enough to put it into a 3D modelling program, so if you have any sketches or plans that would be a great help.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:06:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:06:55