Off Topic / Highway Heist release on android

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 18:03 Edited at: 24th Dec 2017 18:03
in case anyone is interested i have released a free endless runner app called Highway Heist on the google store

you can remove the ads by clicking the "remove ads" button on the start screen and redeeming one of the following codes
2A3RH6LDFS614LXQW5W8F92

N3LQZEWE0T4ZLTL1SNM2SXW

X0Q54VFA4D18UHW6JUX6VV7

DYB4GULC7GY6T2BG7XMGNNC

CC84WYDE6MNL0438B8KUKBN

VEP95DTT1625JB212N2W81T

39QXJ2B09T840LCE84TH30F

1D5ZP6QQFHG7JUQT0YG120D

WM1QJCP4WBXULA28863467E

5FTU086BSY3AW40H56GSDFV
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh that looks fun I may well give that a try
If you can do that ... How about a Spy Hunter Clone ... Spy Catcher or something like that .. always loved that game
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
can't say i've ever seen it but i did a quick youtube search and it seems like a similar type of game but with guns and such, i can maybe do something similar
lua guide for GG
windows 10
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2017 13:05 Edited at: 30th Dec 2017 13:05
Quote: " How about a Spy Hunter Clone"

well i made a start on something similar - at least this will be an endless runner but with weapons so i guess a mix between the 2 games.

p.s. the blue boxes/lines are just the physics boxes, they won't be present in the final version.

no enemies yet but the player controls are in;
On and off road detection - sprite physics in AGK doesn't really support curve shapes (at least not in 1 shape) so the corners are a bit basic but i think it'll work once you start needing to avoid bullets, bombs and cars etc and it allows you keep your speed up as the track is quite simple to follow but you'll slow down a lot if you come off road for a while

Weapon pick ups, 1 active weapon only for now - i haven't decided on the final control scheme yet but i may have to rework the aiming (to be mouse targetted maybe) to allow firing backwards etc.
(current scheme is WASD and mouseclick/spacebar to fire)
i'll probably also add some less lethal weapons as a secondary weapon (such as tyre spikes or oil spill) but that will be in v2 maybe.

speed boost pick up - temporarily doubles your top speed and increases car handling/accleration

there's also a nice little camera zoom effect for when you speed up / slow down so you can better track the action around you.

the game is based on a similar principle to highway heist so you will be trying to outrun the cops therefore for enemies i will add a police car and police bike as well as a police helicopter, guns will likely be allocated randomly so they can use the same weapons as the player

comments or suggestions welcome.
would also take any 2D art that will fit
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
That's pretty Awesome !!
Spy hunter was a very addictive game ... Really looking forward to seeing how this progresses..
Certainly starting to look like it with your own twists which is even better
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
working on the police bike logic, got them avoiding the player's car and following the road plus blowing up if crashing into the car or getting shot etc

currently they endlessly spawn but i can reduce the chance later, it's quite fun to test with 4 constantly chasing me
need to add some avoidance for each other and then the ability to fire back
lua guide for GG
windows 10
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
update for the bikes, have them avoiding each other a bit (it's not high on their list of priorities though so crashes will still happen) and firing back (they have a random weapon assigned when spawned (no rockets though, that would be a bit unwieldy on a bike i'm sure ) and unlimited ammo (unlike the player) but with a reload timer.
it's currently a bit chaotic but i have unlimited health so...

fun note, while adding bullets for the bikes it somehow got confused and spawned a new bike instead of a bullet (which would then blow up instantly as there is friendly fire enabled) - still no idea what was wrong with the code as the id was fine but it didn't like the shorthand version... i guess it found it more fun to blow up their friends than me
lua guide for GG
windows 10
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
cop cars have been added too now.
reduced the clip size for the cops so it's not so much of a bullet storm now there's up to 9 cops (total) at any time, with reload times and speed differences it is a bit easier to avoid being shot too much.

helicopter to add next i think
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 22:50 Edited at: 5th Jan 2018 22:52
Looking the part now
Any chance of adding a Chase HQ mission Element ... Obviously not 3D but you get the idea

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 13:56 Edited at: 6th Jan 2018 14:12
Quote: "Any chance of adding a Chase HQ mission Element ... Obviously not 3D but you get the idea"

the mission is to escape with the loot but i do have an idea how to make the game difficulty more unique by altering the intro (not currently added) but that won't be til v2 - for now it's only getting the core game in place.

today's update;
swapped to fullscreen mode (going to make this a pc game as the size and controls aren't suited to mobile but i may port it over later).
added a bullet time effect - you know the one, it slows down time for you and the cops so you have more time to react (hold space bar to activate, replenishes automatically over time)
added the helicopter - currently just an invincible bomb machine that strafes the road dropping his bombs but i may look into a different one which has a minigun and will be more "locked on" to the player for a short duration.

p.s. video recording reduced the frame rate by a lot for some reason.
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Now that's what I'm talking about ... Really taking shape with all those elements added ..
You could even have a next level or sub levels with speedboats like " Live And Let Die "
Sorry just chucking ideas here Just tell me to shut up if I get annoying
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2018 13:30 Edited at: 8th Jan 2018 15:11
spending some time to rework the AI, i wasn't happy with the amount of collisions and stupid decisions they made before, it's a lot better now (will still get very crowded if you get all cars and bikes at the same time but it's normal to get some collisions during a high speed chase i'm sure).

just got to rework the bikes too but that will be much quicker as i can simply copy and paste most of the code from the cars.
edit; bikes updated
also added;
- a new check for picking up weapons so you will no longer replace your more powerful weapon with a lesser weapon if you accidentally collect a weapon pick up while playing (will still replace if the new weapon is better/same or if it's only slightly lower quality and you're low on ammo).
- car will automatically travel at near top speed without needing to hold W key now (though you can still hold W to go full speed), makes the game slightly easier to control and allows for extra speed only when needed rather than going max speed all the time - though of course if you want to go max speed all the time you can still just hold W.
(i did fix the nitro not depleting when travelling at max speed after the new video)

lua guide for GG
windows 10
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2018 20:01 Edited at: 9th Jan 2018 20:05
becoming a real video dev blog here but another quick update today - helicopter can now use different weapons (random weapon on spawn, same as the cops on the ground) and added some nice bullet holes for him.
i've also made the helicopter slightly more accurate compared to the cops (yes the cops are a bad shot on purpose, they have classic "movie bad guy disease" or "storm trooper syndrome" :p )
lua guide for GG
windows 10
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2018 20:12 Edited at: 10th Jan 2018 20:13
a very quick update today;
changing road textures to water and the car / cop textures to boats
not polished this part at all yet so looks very poor but with a bit of work it should look ok - i will likely make the road (texture) changes very infrequent and add some sort of transition period (i.e. an automated stop and swap vehicle), plus stop the cops from crashing into the water and blowing up etc
also need to add support for the background images to change so that it can swap from grass to water at the edges (i need to keep the road though i think so i can keep the core gameplay and AI logic etc all the same, so it'll likely be a slightly different shade of water or something).
at least i already have the cops spawning in the correct vehicle so the chase is still working correctly.
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Fantastic .. Looking frantic and addictive
Love the water level as well .. an automated stop would be cool ... and a quick chance to catch your breath
or enter a tunnel and come out the other end in boats and water ?
Tis is going to be pretty cool I think
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
tunnel would definitely make it easier to implement but i think i'll go for something automated like the intro i just made

this intro also allows you to set the difficulty by how much money you steal (i.e. the longer you wait = more money but also more heat).
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "this intro also allows you to set the difficulty by how much money you steal "

That's just pure Genius ... Even the original " Spy Hunter " would have been a better game with that idea
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 04:04:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 04:04:06