Product Chat / pbr workflow

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 15:25
I thought it was best to make a separate thread for this so that the other thread of the preview build release is not derailed.

I'd like to make some simple assets in order to learn how to work with pbr, therefore i need some information about which maps we have available for use in the pipeline.

As i understand these are _color _normal _ao _gloss (roughness) _metalness _height _illumination

Am i right at this or is there more to add?

For the terrain we now use .png with roughness baked in the alpha? so no need for dds format anymore?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 16:44 Edited at: 8th Dec 2017 17:52
At the moment as far as i can see the workflow that works is as follows:

_color - this is your base color texture
_metalness - this is your metal information
_specular - this map dictates how shiny your object is, however it's an either or option, you can either use specular, or use metalness, not both (someone might need to clarify this, i'm only guessing at this one at the moment)
_normal - these are your normals
_gloss - this is actually a _roughness map renamed to _gloss
_ao - this is your ambient occlusion map (not sure if it is working or not, i don't think it's even necessary as we have real time SAO anyway)
_detail - this is your detail map, it is a tiled map that is supposed to increase and decrease the detail according to distance (not 100% certain it works properly, and it is not required)

Planned, does something different to expected, or not working:

_height - this should adjust the height of certain areas of your texture, this currently not working
_illumination - this does not work (not sure if it's actually even implemented yet), however you can get illumination on a model by adding your lightmap detail to the _detail map and changing a definition in settings.fx, however if you do this please be aware that this WILL change eventually.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 17:03
if you have a package like Quixel or substance they come with pre defined workflows the best to use at the moment or the ones that seem to work is either a UE4 (Unreal Engine format) this outputs:

_albedo ---> rename to _color
_metalness
_normal
_roughness ---> rename to _gloss

the _detail is not required unless you want it,Lee has put a blank _detail map into GG to stop the light error.

The other work flow is UNITY5 this outputs:

_albedo ---> rename to _color
_metalness
_normal
_gloss ---> this has to be inverted to work in GG

again _detail is not required.

when it comes to illumination Preben does have it working but he has asked I do not provide any details at the moment because it is still a work in progress and is very likely to change.

hope this helps too
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 17:07
@ Earthling45

I wouldn’t bother to much until the final settings are decided.at the moment it is changing day by day,it will settle down soon .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 18:25
Quote: "At the moment as far as i can see the workflow that works is as follows:"

Thanks Belidos, quite informative

Quote: "if you have a package like Quixel or substance they come with pre defined workflows "

i'm an absolute noob when it comes to photoshop, so Quixel will not be my choice.
But i've tried a demo of substance and have seen the predefined workflows which you mention.

It certainly helps GraPhiX

Quote: "I wouldn’t bother to much until the final settings are decided.at the moment it is changing day by day,it will settle down soon"

Yes, i know it will take some time yet.
But being busy with it helps me to learn more about it.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 18:29
Quote: "Yes, i know it will take some time yet.
But being busy with it helps me to learn more about it. "

Cool,hope to see some models from you later .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 18:57 Edited at: 8th Dec 2017 18:58
I've downloaded some pbr textures from this page adjusted them and tried them on rocks1 in the scenery folder.

Albedo= _color
Roughness= _gloss
ao2= _AO

I did not use the heightmap.

See the attachment for the result.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 12:18:08
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 12:18:08