Scripts / this is not pretty code ... need Halpz pl0x, objects disappear unless explicitly positioned every time (vid included)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 06:47 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 07:13

i seem to have posted this twice too, sorry ... i cant find delete either, have i gone completely demented ?

insert video here ::
(do i have to use the iFrame embed method ? im not sure i cant see a preview)

dudnt matter, video no longer relevant, --> next

im just getting into lua trying out stuff in some kind of demo where i try to sync stuff to a timer, which should sync 4 tracks of .oggs etcetera but mainly the intention would be to have stuff moving on a strict timer

or at least strict enough to fool the audiovisual cortex into fluid motion .... however

check the video pl0x

im not new to von neumann architecture programming, its pretty much all the same but syntax, scripting is ofcourse relative to the environment and here i'm totally
im not stuck b/c it werks , but its not pretty

ok, so i used a loop first, triggered on global variable "measure == 5" to have all "blocks" setup in the right position, after which the entity that ran the script destroyed itself (saving cycles is braingasm, right)

all that werks ... i have another one to rotate them, separate object/entity (this is REALLY object oriented programming isnt it lulllz)

it werks ... i shouldnt be complaining since you know, just slap another gigabyte on it, buy anohter terabyte of rackspace and an i7 , however

its not pretty

and it shouldnt make a difference, its too much to explain so if you check the vid you can see, i deliberately left bits out to show what's ont werking way i wannit

i do this "if measure == x" thing in about 16 conditionals which works fine, if i put in ALL of them, however, if i do like 8 or anything less than the complete loop it RESETS (pardon my french) the whole shebang to the original positions, now i have no other scripts running that keeps them there

the original script to set all in position runs on an object
entity, sorry, that destroys itself once it comes to the last line
no loops there, just setpos bla setpos bla, you know 'set up the scene'

the counter werkz, the thingies werk, the samples trigger (i cant they trigger on the millisecond but i have hope to fix that with some kind of lame hack )

but this one script has me doing K-locks, and thats not pretty, that does not make for happycat

because it bugs me, i cant just accept it works "around" by just copypasting every "measure==x" bla 17 times, then destroying it, i need less bytes, and a more beautiful, and more loopy code here, but the objects snap back if i miss one

i know im not the best at talking technics or jargon but im sure some people here will understand what im trying to communicate and dont be afraid to get technical i can probably handle that

i just need to KNOW what this is or im going sleepless ....

arigatou domo de gosaimasu
... etc xie xie, thanks
if it behaves like a cop it might be one

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 08:54
Could you attach the script(s) please, difficult to diagnose the illness without access to the patient.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 09:53 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 10:05
thats why i put in the video but sure i'll go gather them they have changed by now though, the main thing is one script sets everything in place, after that differenct objects run different scripts but most entities seem to be locked or snap back

allow me to find out how to attach

i see windows doesnt come with a standard right click compress option included i'll brb

right ... mb ... its under send to ... that probably makes sense

not used to it ok i'll attach it where ?
ah

attached

i understand timing will be an issue but i cant see how it can be an issue of over 500 milliseconds so im guessing its something syntax

im very sorry for my absolute chaos but from chaos is from whence it came and it seems to be where i live

it makes no sense that i can do it line by line but a loop wont work

im a total nub to lua ok ... if you really have no life and check all (i would advise against it-)

it makes no sense unless

theres tons of options like i have no clue how the engine scans the entities, does it go by number ? does entity 1 take precedence so all variables declared there are somewhat global

'somewhat' (see <-- chaos)

or maybe i cant use 'i' as a loop var in more than one entity running at once

its multidimensional programming more or less i like it but im missing parts
(as usual)

i dont think any of the broadcasts ive seen so far would help me out here since the program is not aimed at how i want to do things but wheres the fun in not

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 20:06
All variables are global unless you put 'local' in front of them.

Entities are given a number when you drop them onto the map and the Entity ID is the 'e' number passed into the script. (there is another identifier called the object identifier which some commands need, you find it by g_Entity[e].obj)

Not sure what order the scripts are called in, probably 'e' order but it shouldn't matter.

Not sure what you are using a loop for but as the script will get called once each frame anyhow there is not usually any need for explicit loops.

If you could attach an example script to show what you are attempting I could give better advice, don't bother compressing it as should be pretty small anyhow, just 'Browse' to it and hit the 'Upload file' button.
PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 01:02
The idea is to run multiple at once really, and that's maybe where the problem lies but i can not figure out why it will not run after the initial setup

i can't really show in one script unless i completely alter it to run everything from one entity (maybe not a bad idea) however i liked the idea of having separate entities (i use small planes) that each have a specific function and self-destruct after they have run that.

So ... somewhat in order goes : setscene -> setblockshigh -> setblocksrot (in which i use a loop that sets the entities to the position setblockshigh put them in because otherwise they snap back to where 'setscene' put them when 'setblockshigh' is destroyed (Destroy(e) at the last needed runthrough/cycle)

'monkeykong' however is spawned when player walks into a triggerzone (in front of the sci-fi console as seen in the vid) that starts a timer in 'stats'

stats keeps running (because it displays stats for on screen so i can have the illusion of debugging lol) and from there it has a counter that is checked by various others (variable named 'measure') which <i>should</i> sync everything to a beat (which doesnt really work on the millisecond so im thinking of re-starting the loops every measure so they re-sync)

The main problem is positioning / spawning / destroying or show/hide once the setup is done and the zone is triggered, like the objects are no longer controllable

... if this makes any sense lol , i know im not the best at explaining my innards

anyway thanks already for replying even. I dont have anything really set in mind its mostly a 'thing' to learn how lua interacts in game guru ... and so far i have already learned some , which is good, i'll just keep tinkering with it anyway but i bought the bundle yesterday so now i have myworld and appgamekit too, which will probably result in doing six things at once and getting nowhere /chucklez/
always one step from Go! xD

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 09:18
Wow, not sure where to start ... umm ... I'll just dive in:

stats.lua

So if you just run this script on its own (and add a line setting 'themesong' to 1) does this work as you expect, i.e. is 'measure' counting up roughly every 2.5 seconds?

set scene.lua:
The main problem I see with this script is that the first time 'main' runs it is assuming a lot of other entities with specific 'e' values are already spawned, if any of them are not then you will get undefined behaviour. It also assumes that 'Destroy' will terminate the script that very frame, I'm not sure if this is the case, it would be better to have a firstPass flag and wait a short time before executing the code.

setblockshigh.lua:
In this script you are using the value of 'measure' to trigger the movement of explicit entities, for each given value of 'measure' it will hold that value for roughly 2.5 seconds (assuming stats.lua is working correctly) so every frame for 2.5 seconds the script will attempt to move the entities. Not sure if that's what you want it to do.

setblockrot.lua:
In this one as soon as 'measure' reaches 17 this script will attempt to reposition and rotate some other entities, at least in this case it should only do it once.

I assume you have only a single entity with each script attached and that they are set 'always active'?

PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Dec 2017 04:41 Edited at: 6th Dec 2017 05:07
Well, thats certainly a few things to check .. you say 2.5 seconds, i thought it would reset to 1 the moment it hits 5 ( not including those 500 milliseconds )

the others are declared in different scripts yes, i know its pretty messy but its completely new to me i'm making progress, from what you say the objects do snap back in place i have noticed so i have a script on an entity that doesnt destruct "keep" them there (aka re-set to the same position) every roundabout or cycle or frame or what you wanna call it (pardon my lack of technical jargon lol)

but it would be and i dont show it cant be possible, it would be nice if i could just set them to x,y,z , rot x,y,z have the collision fit the new position (i noticed things sometimes bounce off off things that arent there so im guessing it means the collisionbox is not necessary the same xyz as whats rendered on screen ?
So ... i'm guessing (i seem to be guessing a lot, but in a couple weeks i think im doing quite well, its been a while) i am missing one or two objects which i turned collisionoff and on in the wrong place (for every object i move after the inital setup -- setscene.lua -- i always do CollisionOff(x) then pos xyz && || rot x,y,z , then CollisionOn(x) wether its a loop or not shouldnt make any difference now

you also said all variables are global unless specifically declared local which means if i use for i 1,2 do end in more than one script over more than one entity these might conflict too ?

that could probably count for a lot

im gonna go over everything you said here, check it out, add a bit of my own chaos and see where i am by the week-end (i just spend some time on it every night) , if i have more questions i'll be back ... if not, very much obliged and thanks a LOT for answering, i like this forum so far , i havent had any RTFM NOOB replies yet lol

the main project is still the game but this diddy just helps me understand the parallel interaction (or well, i try to make it do that hahah)

anyway thanks (yea talking ... im usually quite silent unless i take the cork out)

a LOT

mainly this -> it means i have to keep the script in the loop, which means it takes up resources every cycle (or frame) , so id just need to find out how to Set pos and rot once and have collision set acccordingly, then destroy the object and yes or no activate a next one

i also wonder if an object (entity sorry) that has default.lua in it is still included in the run or excluded from parsing after the first one
(and about a million other questions ... and i havent even opened appgamekit yet du-uh -)

but i'll start with what you said here ok (and now im really gonna shut up-) ... for now ...

except maybe (these conditions are long sentences is there a way to concat somewhat like if (a == (13,14,15,16)) or if (a==%ARRAY%) or something

(last lil edit : yea cos im staring at it i just see if measure >20 and measure < 25 then is less bytes however, the other one wold be more pretty il just do some rtfm on that, thanks for the help and the helping me reflect thus far )

yes okay but good i'll start with and pardon my chaos (thats just me)

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2017 09:11 Edited at: 6th Dec 2017 09:16
One tip, if you Hide an entity but have CollisionOn then you can place other entities on top. When you want to drop those other entities simply do CollisionOff on the retaining entity. That is far simpler than trying to hold them in place via scripts.

As I think I already mentioned, turning collision off and on on entities that you want fancy physics on (balls for example) is not a good idea.

'Always active' entities will run their attached script every frame, so if your game is running at 45 FPS then the script will be run 45 times per second. If you need accurate timing inside a script use g_Time rather than counters, simply set a comparison variable and check it in the script, for example:

Oh and I highly recommend you get hold of the official Lua reference manual. (or RTFM NOOB if you prefer )

btw, you may find this thread interesting:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218283#msg2582026
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2017 21:05 Edited at: 6th Dec 2017 21:41
Hmm, I thought it would work but it doesn't appear to! CollisionOff doesn't allow entities sitting on top fall through, don't know why that should be.

I also tested FreezeEntity and UnFreezeEntity commands which don't seem to work either.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Aha, this works although I hope after the DX11 dust has settled Lee can work on the Physics side.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2017 22:11
This is better:

Attachments

PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 03:48 Edited at: 12th Dec 2017 07:55

so smoove man, what machine are you running ?

thanks a ton for all the input ... the game seems to work fine and do everything i want but since im so chaotic im now mostly busy renumbering the entities (for instance streetlights) so i can put them in a proper loop / array to shut down whole sections (or streets or part of 'the block') or maybe even do a lightshow on "kill-all-enemies" on a main map event , but thats another story, this is just edgy checking what i can get out of it and how to, im actually more or less here

reading about g_Time now (i suppose thats a global timer that doesnt budge over the whole run ?) opens up new options indeed, if you watch the video i have this flange every time i switch loops (its more like a 4-track playing any combo of 4 120bpm (hence the 500millisec) loops) but it loses sync over time ... i'm certainly gonna try out the things you gave me here, thanks mucho domo arigatou :p^

your machine seems to run awfully fast though, here i'm starting to think they call it windows 10 because it feels like you're running 10 instances at once while recording and broadcasting on a machine that should more than be capable of such a little number of objects

What i'm thinking is no longer using separate objects as subroutines simply cos its a fun and cool way of doing it, but just one main, or at least bigger chunks that only self destruct and go to the next after a lot more has passed (self-destruct to save parsing time, if that makes any diff at all at these small amounts of code)

but not sure i'll have much time to check this week but these thread stay open 90 days, right ?

in that case i'll be back ... i'm itching to get on appgamekit but i feel like i owe it to myself to get this thing working in GG first :p ... maybe you know 'that' feeling hahah

thanks mucho again for the input and the snippets, i will put them to good use or drain them for what i can

errh ... am i doing something wrong with the video stuff or does it just look like that for me until checked by admin ?

my machine btw amd quad fx 4300 3.80 ghz , 8gb ram , gtx 970 ... it should handle a small demo like its nothing so its (likely) mostly my code or windos 10 is hogging like the hog it is ...

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 07:35 Edited at: 12th Dec 2017 08:07
Quote: "[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/_C1YMKkBfGQ[/video]

errh ... am i doing something wrong with the video stuff or does it just look like that for me until checked by admin ?
"

You only need to put the video code in the video tags, like this:

Quote: "your machine seems to run awfully fast though, here i'm starting to think they call it windows 10 because it feels like you're running 10 instances at once while recording and broadcasting on a machine that should more than be capable of such a little number of objects"

I find Windows 10 runs much faster and better than all the other Windows systems i've used. When you installed Windows 10 was it as an upgrade to a previous version, or a fresh install? The windows upgrade is a bit flawed and doesn't work very well, causing a lot of conflicts, it's best to download it onto a USB stick, then run a clean install. That's where a lot of the myths about it having huge compatibility issues and conflicts came from, so many people used the free upgrade and got issues people started thinking it was trash, but in reality it's a very good OS, you just need to start from afresh.

Quote: "my machine btw amd quad fx 4300 3.80 ghz , 8gb ram , gtx 970 ... it should handle a small demo like its nothing so its (likely) mostly my code or windos 10 is hogging like the hog it is ... "

It depends on how badly it is running, can't really tell from that demo, but, it may be your processor holding you back a little, while it was a good processor for its time, it's not that great.

GameGuru's recomended AMD processor is an FX 8150, which benchmarks at 7619, the FX 4300 only benchmarks at 4662, whereas my i7700 benches at 10816.

Although the minimum requirements are for an intel or amd dual core @ 2ghz, that is the bare minimum to run the software and you won't run GG very well on them, your processors is roughly mid-range, so you should be able to run GameGuru to a usable degree, but it will be nowhere near what you could with a recommended processor.

There's also a chance that your graphics cards is bottle-necking your processor, the 970 is a fairly new range of GPU's and pretty fast whereas the 4300 is quite a few years old now, and not as fast as newer processors, sometimes that can cause what they call bottle-necking, which is basically where the processor handles information slower than the graphics card, and the graphics card has to keep pausing to let the processor catch up (it's a lot more involved than that, but that's probably the easiest way to explain it to anybody who doesn't understand), basically you end up using your graphics card at nowhere near it's potential.

BUT, it might also just be GameGuru itself, GameGuru isn't very well optimized, and there does seem to be wildly varying results in speed, so it might just be that.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 08:30 Edited at: 12th Dec 2017 08:38
Glad to see you are making progress with this.

My preference is one script to rule them all ....

Hit the Tab button whilst in test game to see what GG is busy doing, the AI bar indicates how much time the Lua scripts are gobbling up, not sure what all the others mean - I've seen the physics bar dancing all over the place whilst I'm standing still on an almost empty level!

My machine is relatively modern, I built it 2 years ago. i5 , 32G DDR4 Ram, AMD Nano GFX. Plays every game I've tried it with at high settings with no problems so I'm happy with it, haven't tried it with VR yet but it should handle it Ok.

I generally work to a 2 year cycle so I'm getting that itching feeling to build a new system, probably treat myself in the new year, I'll wait to see what the prices are like in January.

Btw, g_Time is GG's count of milliseconds since start of game, I prefer to use it directly instead of having the overhead of calling the Lua timer functions that basically just it's current value anyway. Calling global functions and accessing global variables is less efficient than local functions which is why in my scripts I create local pointers to globals, for example:

local Ent = g_Entity[e] -- now I have a local (i.e. quick) pointer to the global entity table, Ent.x would access entities x pos, Ent.obj the object id etc

local abs = math.abs -- a local pointer to the global math library, much quicker access

PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 07:06
ah-men mo -ee-zeh .. i always thought krusty was a schmuck but then again i never had a jew in the vicinity this town is poisonous to them

not that that is any kind of matter, without details, i wanna blessya for the input, if i had people like that before my life might have been different but without getting all snotty

the one-timer to rule them all is indeed the way to go in GG it seems, i havent used the global yet but when i put all the subroutines from the objects into the main script and disable the objects (other than for looking good) i have no flange and no nothing of any of that and much more but i still got a lot before i can pay hommage to my teachers, i wasnt gonna but i had to say it

i need to get more before i post more or this is gonna be like a tweeting contest lol

you da man, man

rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 07:07 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 07:35
ah-men mo -ee-zeh .. i always thought krusty was a schmuck but then again i never had a jew in the vicinity this town is poisonous to them

not that that is any kind of matter, without details, i wanna blessya for the input, if i had people like that before my life might have been different but without getting all snotty

the one-timer to rule them all is indeed the way to go in GG it seems, i havent used the global yet but when i put all the subroutines from the objects into the main script and disable the objects (other than for looking good) i have no flange and no nothing of any of that and much more but i still got a lot before i can pay hommage to my teachers, i wasnt gonna but i had to say it

btw whatever i say never mind, the message is more important than whatever i find its hard to speak two words in a row where theres not one person in 8 billion ever offended so i just go by what comes out ... (which leave me with a lot of extra text usually ... i'm not really a cog in the pipeline but i used to be a nice guy ... i think i see some light with this, after all this was first and foremost about lua and how to sync ... if you're in london this weekend and i see a giant krusty i'll buy you a cold one)

oh naw, the machine is fresh ... i have personally installed and reinstalled it several times from format c: , i bought one pre-fab pc in my life after my c64 and atari ST, im way not new to von neumann and turing machines and architecture, but i might be rusty, i dont like "old" and yea im contemplating assembling one of my linux machines to run the same windos license on another gfx card just to see the difference in synchronization
(its amazing how all my linux machines run anything but directxgames on a celeron system and onboard graphics)

i know how ALL von neumanns architecture works

http://cat.alleycat.be/tulz/PsE/

http://cat.alleycat.be/tulz/stageing/dev/
http://cat.alleycat.be/tulz/stageing/index_last.html

http://cat.alleycat.be/tulz/adobeinless/index_last.html

i dont have to explain right click to see code i suppose, so dont be afraid to get a little technical but do treat me like a five year old lol

i dont have much left but mah little website though im just a bit , you know

syntax is something i dont store because im too much chaos so every time i need to go over and over it, and in this case the lua is also GG-specific plus its as you say "per-frame", if i still knew what fun felt like i think this might be it but

i'm a bit hazy i spent three hours bending six pins on a vocore2 back in place wearing glasses looking through a loupe underneath ... im no spring chicken, the quantum leap tends to take a few entanglements these days after which it sticks but mainly cos im really too chaotic and so you're left with a lot of reading material i suppose

youve been supreme help so far, i think if you're an official employee you should be up for a raise hahah

i need to get more before i post more or this is gonna be like a tweeting contest lol

you da man, man

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 08:45
Nope, not an official employee of anyone or anything, just a free spirited old codger doing what I like when I like for who I like, or don't like particularly but pay well.

btw, Amen-Moses is ancient Egyptian, nothing to do with Judaism.

My current 'day job', the thing paying for the food iow, has me writing Ada for one project using Linux servers, C++ on another using Solaris and Windows XP, and C/C++on a third using Windows 2000 Server. All three projects running concurrently with me time-slicing between them.

Lua scripting in GG is my relief from the madness that is modern software development work, without it I would certainly be living in a small padded room somewhere eating dinner through a straw.

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 09:22
Quote: "btw, Amen-Moses is ancient Egyptian, nothing to do with Judaism."

It's a bit hard to understand because he types in such a jumble, but i think he's referencing crusty the clown being a jewish clown.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 09:33
They have Jewish clowns? Learn something new every day.
PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 09:45 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 15:41
gods dam' you're right ....

"the less a writer discusses his work, and himself, the better. The master chef slaughters no chickens in the dining room ; the doctor writes prescriptions in Latin ; the magician hides his hinges, mirrors and trapdoors with the utmost care."

Jack Vance

thanks for the help, i'll take it from here ... someone's after my freedom and doesn't understand what kind of crazy person they already made me

but you guys are the best . 1000 points !!!

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 11:07 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 11:10
[quote].. i was confused cos of the "gameguru-developer" it says on the left side of my screen next to the picture of the jewish clown from the simpsons below the amen-moses which is halfway latin and partly a hudge figure from judaism[/quote

GameGuru developer is a badge given out as an award for helping the community by providing free scripts. The same as i have the "3D Media Maker" badge as an award for providing lots of free 3D models of my own making to the community.

Also please be careful with the words you use, profanity on this forum is not acceptable under any circumstance, and is a sure fire way to get a ban.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 30th Dec 2017 03:08 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 03:19
Quote: "Also please be careful with the words you use, profanity on this forum is not acceptable under any circumstance, and is a sure fire way to get a ban."

okay ... i didnt know this was Ireland or Afghanistan and im not allowed to show my ankles but thanks for the warning, i might need this place later, its always a hassle to create an alias and act like you're someone else

that said ... (and i wouldnt dub my channel pOINC (politically incorrect) if i gave a frack about my creative use of language and the failure of pc-principal to understand that im not a racist or any kind of -ist for that matter, but im (as usual) drifting off-topic

you guys pointers have set me on the Tao of now and the path is good, however i get some major issues with GG that i cant pin down

its more like theres some old nazi named Milgram telling me what to do, it keeps crashing with a weird frequency if i use it outside office hours (dont laugh okay, i have had computers for 35 years now i know the difference, i can run dark souls or whatever for hours, mine crypto all night (not that it gets much, experiment-wise, on linux, it never shuts down my pc, GG shuts down my pc , but only after dark, it is how do you people say that? uncanny ... but that might be the hackers-on meth)
i have found one consisten bug though : if i move objects in 'f9' mode in the game im trying to and save the map afterwards it ALWAYS crashes, (crashes means it shuts down my pc and the map is corrupt , the file) , which more than not ends me with a error 502 on reboot, meaning "delete all files and reload" since a scan gives one missing file but keeps giving the same error ... this is not just a windows or GG thing, its certainly not my hardware, this is the ghost of milgram in the machine i got way too much pc-time on my rep to think otherwise, but the map thing might be an actual bug related (or not ) to my system config, thats possible)
NOW, if it wasnt for that id probably would be on my 3rd GG demo and finally have gotten to appgamekit where the real fun seems to lie for stuff like that but this thing teaches me some thing about GG ...
i havent figured out why i cant do shti with entities i positioned in a script in one entity, then address them in a script from another entity, it just wont work, tthey're glued in place
so i put most in one script as moise suggested (no punity intended) which works fine, HOWEVER (nothing intended but stressing the subject , why is bold acceptable but caps not ? no one ever seems to question that)
seeing as the physics seems to work on the cpu, not my lovely gtx 970 (not edgy but lovely) i thought the less it has to parse the better

thats why i started out using objects / entities that selfdestructed (Destroy(e)) when their purpose was served ... to cut them "out of the loop"
but it doesnt work since once positioned i can not reposition them from the main script / entitiy which is somewhat lefuq since wobbly demos with immovable objects are somewhat prone to irresistible force of frustration
so its all in da script, i use flags to skip sections as big as possible once they're no longer needed yet still

i think i heard somewhere in the twitch casts the physics (bullet?) system takes out objects once they're no longer moving (which would explain why i can't use trapdoors-like systems or ledges that rotate after a ball falls on it (cos once its still its stays still even if i drag the world out from unders its ballsy feet)

which is all work-aroundable and has taught me more about how it works, which im sure will come in handy in my game some time later (i have found how to open up an inventory screen there, yay ... the trick was a 250ms delay between scankey for "I" (i for inventory)

but i got a lot further than day one
(but im still as chaotic as ever HAHAH <-mad laughter)
and for some reason after several measures (i use those for measuring , one measure is 4 bass kicks like) the fps dunks like a slam dunk, is it the physics on the cpu or something else i have no idea and no way of finding out, i have less than 100 entities so it shouldnt be.
Syncing 120bpm samples to a loop that has a variable framerate of about 41-45fps seems to be an impossible task, even if i reset the loop ever run of the script after a while it just goes off track but i still have hope xD

as for the game i see a lot of options now from minimaps tactical shooting to gambling dens with card games and what not using freeze and sprites so yea ...

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPoFgjvUF-E[/video]

january3dnowi think

well it does about everything i want it to now, barring the text sliding in from the side, which im working on at my tempo and leisure, always tired, sleep two times a day, constant pain, but nothing wrong with the scans or bloodtests, hence = im lazy, what else
other than that. the issue really seems to be the engine. after about 80 measures (make that 60 seconds) the fps drops from 25 to 7-9 (without any change it just runs the same loop over), i have less than 100 objects
entities sorry
i put everything that doesnt move on static , physics off and immobile, i can ofcourse not do that for whatever does move. When i run it press tab i get about 500.000 polygon count, when i trigger the main script by stepping into the zone that drops to 8000-25000 depending on where i look, terrain sky and hud is off, the ai isnt 200 lines long but stands at a hefty 45, physics is very low but after 45-60 seconds the balls seem to go through jelly i.o. air

and thats the really fun part : if i press "tab" when it starts doing that, it goes back to 25fps (which is still really low considering the low amount of objects), i leave "tab" open, after a while it dumps again, then when i press tab again to go back to the "standard" game view mode it goes back up again, and so on

which makes it feel like im trying to debug something without having the sourcecode lol so, when i get that text slide in right and adjust the graphics a bit i'll try to make a 90 second demo out of it and leave it there.

I got weird things with the games main map too, VERY low fps , even after i change collision mode from polygon to two simple cubes on over half the entities on the map , still 15 fps or something, and thats just not right since my pc can handle games like tekken or dark souls without hassle

SO, i guess thats where im stuck xD , waiting for an update haha

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:17:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:17:05