Product Chat / Excuse me for scribblin, but i has questions and

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 08:59
I'm sure some of them will already be answered but i'm about a few weeks into this thing here and i kinda like it but i have a few

well , a thousand but i'll keep it short ('as short as short goes when i start talkin)
please don't flame, if anything has already been answered feel free to link and re-direct me, i'm not in the habit of asking much so i hope the goodwill of the community will indulge me here ...

first of all its GREAT okay, it's got a zound of things to do but its great okay then

first i was wonder fps- and renderwise ... i got this map i'm modelling to the neighbourhood where i live, social housing project from the 70s when this was a rich country ... theres several types of houses i brought it down to six (equals six house models) now the question #1 ... i read about the euhm drawcalls and stuff BUT
if i get a model like for instance the bungalows i use (all very very very low vertex/polygon count)

the fps is quite decent for a map about a square kilometer (real life size) now i wanna keep the polygon count as low as possible, using this one as a "nexus" map leading to many many minimaps and games smaller in size with more detailed models , HOWEVER

i was gonna keep it short, right ... the bungalows on the mid level dont have garage doors but the ones on the bottom do, SO
(well there's more to it, the place is over 45 years old, many people have different front doors and whatever) if i use textures instead of modelled inset windows and door the combinations are limitless i can just take pictures of doors and windows and gates and use them as "paste into" in gimp
which leads me to the actual question, performance -wise the same model with a different texture ? cos its the same amount of pixels ofcourse, how is that treated by the engine ? i understand its not simply a x-times drawcall b/c of the texture but im also no expert on directx maybe different textures on identical models dont count for as much load as different models alltogether so id like to, if anyone could shed some light on that know, so i can gauge just a little ...
i mean if the fps count is decent when all is in place i could add 'physical' chimneys (for instance) on each house which increases the vertex count by at least four but probably double or more that (and hence the polygon count per entity by even more etc)

am i making sense here ? i know im the master of chaos ... so that's question one ... should i ? or should i put the other question in another thread ?

cos i had this idea on GG-demos, like show off the lua ? but i'm not sure how much you can do with timers ? (i date back to the atari 2600 so i lived through the whole c64 demoscene and those guys were all like omg this is what i do with 64k and , but ..

well)
't is to say for instance how well could i fit routines into a strict timer ?

say i want a bouncing ball, which should be possible since i've seen lua give the option for absolute positioning AND has math functions which goes to the beat of let's say 500 milliseconds per bass kick ... assuming i use a wav file i render with lmms or something for the music

is that actually possible ?

timing the motion to the sound i mean, cuz it would require a process starting at the EXACT time the wavfile starts and also require skipping frames if necessary when 500ms have passed ...
so thats question two ...

i'm sorry for the chaos

i'll leave the other 5000 questions for later ...

if anyone could indulge me here , pretty please ?

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2017 14:06
Holy wall of text!

Ok, so to answer what questions I can answer:
1) You will probably never get flamed here. This is probably the tamest online forum I've ever been on.
2) Yes, you can use different textures for the models. While I don't know the memory storage method being used, I believe you can probably create a separate FPE file with a different texture but using the same model and effectively get some minor speed or memory savings in that respect. That aside, it doesn't sound terribly intensive and shouldn't be an issue you'd ever notice either way unless you're putting like 30-50 different types of garage doors in.
3) The bouncing ball thing is a lua script question that all I can say is - huh? I'm not sure what you're asking. You might be better served by putting a dedicated lua scripting question in the appropriate subforum where us coders lurk. That said, please try to be more clear with respect to what you want. At this point all I can tell is you want a bouncing musical ball

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
All models require their textures to be loaded into memory, the more textures the more memory you need... Its best to keep things as simple as possible sure but I don't think duplicating the entire texture for a door is worthwhile if you're doing it many times (you could load a door texture in something like 32x32 for example while the entire house will likely need at least 512x512)... So yes draw calls can be a problem if you get really high numbers but only really when you're placing many many objects (like filling out the entire houses) and I would recommend doing separate objects (doors and windows etc) over separate textures.

There is a "to the beat" video in the GG loader thread (found in the third party section), maybe someone will link it for you (on my phone ATM).
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 17:11 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2017 20:53
Bouncing ball physics? Or you want to completely control it manually in LUA, its movements?

The PhysX Physics in GG are not that bad:

Requires modifications to the FPE properties to get the full bouncing effect.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Teabone ..
I'm seriously thinking of locking this thread for the .... MOST ANNOYING SOUNDTRACK ...EVER !!!
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 21:02
Quote: "I'm seriously thinking of locking this thread for the .... MOST ANNOYING SOUNDTRACK ...EVER !!!"

????

This better be a very bad joke...
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
https://sites.google.com/view/dkproductions

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This better be a very bad joke..."

Ok this is really weird .... I played it again and its not the same ??
Trying to work this out ???

@Teabone ...
Did you change it ?
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 21:29
Spooks in the night .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Seriously it was some kind of Kiddies cartoon track ... Really annoying .. Teabone must have changed it.
I just checked my YouTube history just in case anything else played at the same time but all is good ..
There is a " Music ? " comment on You Tube so perhaps someone else found it weird as well
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 21:44
LOL I never heard it first time around but the music is quite good now I like it
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 21:53 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2017 22:07
Everyones hating on the muffin man song lol

Quote: "say i want a bouncing ball, which should be possible since i've seen lua give the option for absolute positioning AND has math functions which goes to the beat of let's say 500 milliseconds per bass kick ... assuming i use a wav file i render with lmms or something for the music"

You want a ball to bounce around to the beat of music?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Everyones hating on the muffin man song lol"

THAT WAS IT !!
Your gonna have to put it back now to clear my name
PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 01:25 Edited at: 24th Nov 2017 17:11
woaw and thanks for all the reactions to a n00b like me xD

Quote: "okay @boltactiongaming ... Holy wall of text!

Ok, so to answer what questions I can answer:
1) You will probably never get flamed here. This is probably the tamest online forum I've ever been on.
2) Yes, you can use different textures for the models. While I don't know the memory storage method"

i dont see how to reply specifically to a post so sorry

the "bouncing ball , i have some prelim thing i'll use to teach myself the basics of lua" i have a vid here

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/bDBRBZlUB5Y[/video]

im gonna try to make that into something demo-shiney -ish ... don't mind the channel, its an extension of the chaos in my head as everything that sprouts from me (lol)

the 'minor' savings on performance sound great, i mean, the place i do is like 100+ houses so the less calls and cycles the better but thats more like a nexus map leading to minimaps

im struggling with using lua too , not the code, but

well ...

i put a winzone on a house like here :

now if i use any other script than "winzone.lua" IN the original folder it won't trigger, i like to keep all files per game in one subfolder under /user which seems to work for all but the scripts ??!? i even tried copy pasting "winzone.lua" to "wwinzone".lua in the scriptbankfolder itself and that wont work either so does that mean i have to manually keep track of all scripts i use , write or modify per game or demo ? cos thats hella database for a force of chaos like me

i know a bit of code but ive never done THIS btw, it seems to help counter the brainrot though ... for lack of complete "texture the map from .png"

i

started from this :

used an online tool that lets you measure distances on google maps to get somewhat of a decent aspect ratio regarding to the real neighbourhood, modelled a wall that corresponds to about 2m40 (relative to the in-game character) and from there manually started digging up and down the map lol
the top is about 15 m from the bottom, the middle about ten

its far from there but it beats watching tv hahaha

this is where its at

but this is where i wanna start on lua (hence the demo ... using real-time strict calls combined with the physics engine should make for some interesting k-locks lol)

but since it doesnt really let me (and since i use copypasted originals to test im sure its not my syntax) pick what i want where i want i have been spending a lot of time cos it would be really handy if i could just keep it all in one folder with subfolders, then zip one zip to back it up

hoping someone's still watching here, i eagerly await .... great stuff guys, great stuff
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 17:23
Quote: " i even tried copy pasting "winzone.lua" to "wwinzone".lua in the scriptbankfolder itself and that wont work either"

If you change a LUA scripts file name you have to also change the function lines inside the actual code to match.

This link might be of some help

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 17:32 Edited at: 25th Nov 2017 00:05
Also a winzone script won't work in a entity, it needs to be in a zone , the hints in the name

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
rudyardcatling: I also remember the c64 demo scene , and amiga ... i also made many demos myself , it was a great time. i remember the first time i got a sprite into the border of the c64 , wow i was high on that for at least 2 month

Not sure if it can be done using lua , perhaps if you make some perfect timing as you mention.

But i added beat detection from wav files to the latest GG Loader , so if you want to use GameGuru to design your level ( or demo ) and then convert it to AGK using GG Loader , you have beat detection , so you can get objects to react on music.

Everything in this video was made in GameGuru , and running in GG Loader:

But then again that would be AGK and not lua , but you still get to do all the design in GameGuru
best regards Preben Eriksen,
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 23:12
I have been feeling rubbish the last couple of days with the flue ,that realy cheered me up.thank you Preben ,still chucking away now.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
bojan0111
Years of Service
User Offline
HELLO EVERYONE )) I HOPE YOU GUYS WELL
I HAVE PROBLEM, AND I CAN'T SOLVE ALONE..........I INSTALL GAME GURU AND I START MAKE LEVEL WHEN I WANT TO RUN (TEST IT) MY SCREEN GET BLACK.......IM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO, I HAVE ALIENWARE LAPTOP MY GRAPHIC CARD IS
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 460M ?? I INSTAL AND UPDATE DRIVER.....IM NOT SURE WICH ONE I SHOULD INSTALL...OR MAYBE MY LAPTOP JUST CANT RUN GAME GURU ..????

THANK YOU PEOPLEEE BESTTTT....!!!! [center][/center]
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 23:58 Edited at: 25th Nov 2017 00:02
@bojan0111

No need to shout .. This sounds like an old issue ?
What version of GameGuru are you using ?
The card is low spec but should just about run it ... 1391 passmark
PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Nov 2017 05:42
Well i got a bit (maybe even a byte or dword) further but i'm far from the qubit leap here ... there's no actual intention other than familiarizing myself with GG specific lua while actually doing something with it, ive never been much of an RTFM guy, i prefer nosedive and see what happens

It wouldnt be just one ball bouncing to a 4/4 bass kick, i'm thinking sinoids like caterpillars and what not.

It strikes me, however that i can not find one single page that has ALL (prdon my fraps) GG-specific && usable commands in it... there's some in the docs which explain what math functions i can use (very necessary for sinewave movement and bouncing and what not) there's some here theres some there

theres a post on steam

but that doesnt scope all it has only GG-specific and i dont think it has all, there's one thread by "scenecommander" (i think) here on the lua section of the forums and then i found (so far) one that mentions the Panel(x,y,xsize%,ysize%) which i havent seen mentioned anywhere else, most definitely NOT in the docs that come with the program so i wonder what else i'm missing out on

I'll dump some vids when i do my weekly update for my channel (which is like just for me more like a diary) to show where i try to go with it as for now i seem to have one major problem with one sphere that refuses to not be spawned at start and another one falling straight through seven cubes from a y position of 9000 high, no bouncing off of anything

so my best guess there is (since i want the scene to 'unfold' i have one entity that positions all objects for the project once at start, then self-destructs) is that the actual collision boxes stay where i put the objects on scene (by hand) ... i just stack all objects i need in an area, like a storehouse lol. Then the one entity that has setscene.lua positions and scales (eventually rotates and moves everything on a timer into place) before the balls start falling

so now everyone is going i suppose but thats me im not mister Structure, but i actually am but i don't think i'll fit in a pipeline (L M A O o o 8-o)

for which i also can not find any decent documentation so i'm left to empirical study xD ... the one ball that has physics enabled will not drop after the initial (re-)positioning and so on ... but in the name of what can i do with lua it has been interesting and some of it applicable to the sandboxy game i'm trying to make , i hope those (what did they call themselves?) ageing 8bit coders don't give up on working on the engine yet xD

and also the lua scale command seems to only scale on x,y && z at once which makes it ... well ...
less versatile than it could be

and so and so ... and so ... maybe i should post the questions i'm left with to a new thread under the lua section but in the meantime all comments .. constructive, funny, helpful or not are ofcourse absolutely welcome ... i havent had focus like this in years ... if this keeps on i might actually start to enjoy myself again (hahah)

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 09:36
global.lua has all the current GG commands listed in it. Most are self explanatory but some have even got me scratching my head trying to figure out how to use them.

If you want to move entities around under script control AND have the physics engine in play then you have a bit of a problem, in order to move an entity to a specific x,y,z at specific (euler!) angles you first have to use the CollisionOff command, then move it, then issue the ColisionOn command. Unfortunately due to a bug in GG the CollisionOn command seems to override the original collision mode of the entity so for example a sphere ends up with a simple box collision shape. I have not found any workaround to this yet!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 12:29:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 12:29:31