Bug Reports / Nothing is working.

Author
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2017 23:17 Edited at: 10th Nov 2017 23:31
Hello, I have come to a big issue with my GameGuru, and it physically cannot be used. When the application starts up, and the intro plays, I can't skip it, so I just decided to watch it through the first time. But when I got to the startup screen, you know, the screen with the pre-made levels that appears on startup. When I make it to this, I can't click ANYTHING. I can't click on any of the levels, I can't click "Show on startup", and most importantly, I can't close out of it, causing me not able to use the application. I have tried restarting my PC, and restarting GameGuru several times, but it keeps doing this. Please, let me know of a solution soon. Thank you.

EDIT: I noticed there is a green line surrounding the window, and any other GameGuru window, and any other GameGuru related windows that pop up, I don't know 100% if these have been there before or not, but I don't know if it could help or not.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Try verifying your installation via steam .. then reboot
Sounds like its a little corrupted
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 03:59
Welp, that didn't work. I hope this is fixed soon, I was working on something big, and I don't want this to just be left behind.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
I doubt very much this is anything to do with GG and more likely something else stopping it working.
Maybe an antivirus or some other software blocking input?
Have you installed anything new or had any updates?
Try closing other programs 1 by 1 til you find the culprit.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 16:01
Well, I did download some stuff from the store. A free walls pack, and a habitats pack by Wizard of ID, I haven't been able to open it after I bought those. Those are likely the problem, but, how?
PM
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2017 15:21
Ok. So I have found a solution...sorta. I found out that opening the entities tab fixes the menu problem, and I can use everything as normal, except for the camera. I can still move it with the WASD commands, but I can't move it around with the right click. As in, I can only look top-down. This seems to just be an entirely new problem, so any help with THIS one, would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2017 17:46 Edited at: 13th Nov 2017 09:15
Hi slender1200

In your first post you seem to talk about the first time start up video with the 10 demo game icons, and "show on startup" tick box.

To me it looks like the startup video has crashed, I think thats what the green line surrounding the Windows is. This video plays after file verifying or a new install.

Second the movement problem you talk about is commom with me after a crash, I found if you leave it for a few minutes it will start to work then crash again soon after and show reset to "load last map".

Because you can't untick that box "show on start up" (and because the video has crashed maybe) it won't re-config Game Game not to show video on next boot and crash next time and round you go again.

To stop the video playing, find the showonstartup.ini in the Game Guru folder, open this with notebook and if I'm right it should just show 1 top left corner, replace with whats below.

Save the file and reboot Game Guru.

Best to close all programs before starting Game Guru and don't start any after. I only have pull my HDMI lead out or change HDMI inputs on my TV and Game Guru will crash so less you do in the back ground the better. Game Guru is 100% crash free for me in the last 2years as long as I stick to its rules.
PM
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2017 20:28
Well, I tried the "showonstartup" thing, and it did nothing. It still pops up for me, and I still can't click on it, I even tried rebooting like you said, and still, nothing. I haven't tried the waiting thing you said, but from what it sounds like, you said it just straight up crashes after it starts to work, so does it work after the crash? Because it sounds like it doesn't have a solution.
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi slender1200

What did the file say when you looked at it, was it just number 1 or was it the list like above?
check you have put 0 (zeros). best to cut above and open the "showonstartup.ini" and paste it in so it looks the same as above. Save the file, and try a restart again.

If it's still the same then try just 0 top left and save file, and reboot.

Also see if your computer can play .wmv, see if you can open a video using Window Media Player.

PM
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2017 21:05
Well, it was just 1 when I first went into it. I tried the numbers you gave me, and I tried just putting 0, but still, nothing. And, quick update. I wen't into a test game, and I could not do anything. It was as if my entire keyboard was disabled. I am going to lose my mind soon. And when I opened task manager, I got an error message, but I don't know if that was from the bug, or the task manager being open. And yes, my computer can play WMV files.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2017 21:34 Edited at: 12th Nov 2017 21:36
Hi slender1200

Opening task manager will always crash Game Guru.

If the file showed one (1) then it's still not finishing the start up and taking you to the auto loading demo map (your picture) on a first start up or after a file verifying thing or new install.

You say above this went wrong after you down loaded some items from the store maybe something has got corrupt,
As Game Game was working alright for you before as you say you was working on something big. I would back up your map
Folder and any other items you've added, and then do a full reinstall of Game Guru from Steam, and add your maps back in.

It's always a good idea to back your maps up each day on ext hard drive usb stick etc.
PM
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2017 02:29
Quick question, do you know how to do a FULL reinstall? Because all I know is "uninstall", which doesn't really do anything. Like, how do I delete it all entirely?
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2017 07:38 Edited at: 13th Nov 2017 08:55
Hi slender1200

If you have gone to your library page on Steam, then right click on GameGuru in your game list on the left and use the uninstall from the pop up list your "LAUNCH" button should change to an "INSTALL" button.

and again don't forget to back up your maps and other things you have changed like scripts located in the Files folder.

just to recap.

Because the showonstartup.ini was still showing 1 it seems Game Game was not launching properly because after a first launch or a file verify which you say you did, it plays the opening video and loads the demo map, Game Guru then puts the list above into the showonstartup.ini This is why I think a reinstall would be best after the download stop it working.

when you can click on the box "show at start up" and untick it, the showonstartup.ini will end up like this and Game Guru
will launch to a blank new map.
PM
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2017 22:25
Nonono, I mean a FULL uninstall. Because when I do the way you tell me, and I install it, basically nothing changes, everything I had before is still there, and the problem is still present. Is there a way I can F U L L Y reinstall? Or am I just gonna have to wait for an update/never use GameGuru again? And all the things you have told me to type in, the thing still pops up, no matter what I type in that file.
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 07:51 Edited at: 14th Nov 2017 07:57
Hi slender1200

We are not having much luck are we. By uninstalling it from Steam and then reinstalling GameGuru I would think that would be classed as a full reinstall. All I was trying to do was to stop the video from playing and bypassing the problem and get you back to using Game Guru.

If you can get all the info about your computer, Windows Version 7,8,10 and if it's 32bit or 64bit and make and type of graphic card, computer ram size etc. and type of computer a Laptop or desktop.

Then just recheck the things smallg says above, and also retry what synchromesh ask you to do. if you still have no joy then press the green help button on the right, giving them the problem you have and your computer info. From what I can tell it's your mouse won't work over the box overlay thats pops up after the startup video and you are unable to unclick the "show at startup" box because of this. Hope they can sort it for you.
PM
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 20:56
Well, none of this is working, and I have tried it all. Here is my computer information:
Y'all mind if I...

T POSE?!?

Attachments

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 01:14 Edited at: 15th Nov 2017 01:20
Oh an i3 netbook... I think its mainly supported on i5 and up. But GG has worked fine for your in the past with this machine?

What is your video card?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 20:35
I think this is how you check it, I don't know for sure if this is it though.
Y'all mind if I...

T POSE?!?

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 02:12 Edited at: 16th Nov 2017 02:13
That's a GPU well below minimum recommended specs
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+4000
I'm surprised that works at all ?

Uninstall via steam and manually delete the Files folder ( if you have to ) is the only way to freshly install and they are located here ..
C:\ Program Files(X86) \ Steam \ Steamapps \ Common \ GameGuru \ Files ..

Uninstall and check the " files " folder has gone .... " Backup maps if you want to keep your project "
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2017 19:10
Well, I tried that....I am disappointed, but not surprised, nothing. I did a FULL reinstall, exactly like how you said, and still, nothing has changed. I know it isn't my GPU, because it worked PERFECTLY before, even on this same version. Could this mean its not one of the files, and its the actual application that got corrupted?
Y'all mind if I...

T POSE?!?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i still think this is caused by anti virus or some sort of recording software, you're sure you don't have anything else running at all in the background?
lua guide for GG
windows 10
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2017 01:48
I am 100% certain.
Y'all mind if I...

T POSE?!?
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2017 17:25
I've gone through some solutions on the Support Mail and seen the actions taken here, and I am at a loss what might be the issue. It is definitely something related to the 2.5Ghz + HD4000 system which is at the extreme low end of GameGuru compatibility and as such, might be related to system resources in general. It may well have worked with previous versions but we continue to add to the software over the years, and as such, the software will change over time in line with feature requests and additions to the engine. My guess is that along the way the resource requirements increased to a point which made your system incapable of running the software in a stable way, and at this point requires more drastic actions such as a hardware upgrade or a full Windows 8 reinstall (I am not advocating this is what you do, just sharing what I would do in your place). Please remember to back-up all your files before attempting more drastic solutions to ensure you don't lose work as you try additional solutions. If anyone in the community reading this can identify the issue as something you have seen personally, please post your own solutions to help out slender1200.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
as a quick check if it is just a case of not being able to deal with the new engine updates you could always select one of the previous betas (steam list -> GG -> properties -> betas
then select something from the drop down - it will then download the required files (so make sure you have GG closed).

if it's still not working then you know it's something else that's causing the issue.
lua guide for GG
windows 10
slender1200
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2017 22:45
Yeah, I tried the other betas, and still nothing. But I don't know what could be causing the issue, I have closed everything that could have messed with it somehow.
Y'all mind if I...

T POSE?!?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:25:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:25:06