Product Chat / Waving a white flag

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I apologize in advance for clogging this forum with my post, but I couldn't find any other way to reach the people at GameGuru: unfortunately I'm severely allergic to all social media and apparently my sight isn't anymore what it used to be because despite my best efforts I couldn't locate any 'HELP' button in the bottom right corner of any page. Please believe me and forgive me .

Today I learned of GameGuru for the first time in my life, visited its web page and got to like it in no time: it looked almost exactly what I needed.
Unfortunately though the only available information about its features and use seems to be in form of a set of low-resolution video tutorials whose sound track is spoken - with impressive volume and speed fluctuations - in some variant of English I could neither identify nor understand clearly enough.

Hence my question: may I access an exhaustive GameGuru manual in .pdf, or alternatively a version of the tutorials complete with subtitles in English?
Should a decently prompt answer be "Of course, you may download it here", I will most likely become an affectionate member of this forum - if this is good or bad though is not for me to say...

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2017 21:39
Hi and welcome,here is a getting started guide.

https://www.game-guru.com/downloads/pdfs/GameGuru%20-%20Getting%20Started%20Guide.pdf

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Open up GameGuru and at the top of the screen you will see a " help " Tab
Select " Read User Manual " should get you started but alas there is no Huge Bible as yet
In the GameGuru Docs folder you will find more tutorials though for the " Easy Build Editor " etc
located in ...C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Guru\Docs.

Hope that's a start for you ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 02:17
When is the tutorial section of the forums coming around? I remember a discussion around this?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 09:25
There is a decent selection of tutorial videos available here - https://www.game-guru.com/live-streams
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
ChironK
Years of Service
User Offline
THANK YOU ALL ! ! !
And sorry for not saying that earlier - CET, bedtime and being married prevented me from doing so

Thank goodness I hadn't any plans for this weekend...
Mmmh... I'll better get the wife involved or else she won't ever stop nagging me
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 16:35 Edited at: 11th Nov 2017 16:35
Welcome to the forums! You will normally find plenty help round here. Just in case you still need that help button, I include a pic showing where it is
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ChironK
Years of Service
User Offline
That's funny, on my firefox it just doesn't show...
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2017 17:29 Edited at: 11th Nov 2017 17:29
Quote: "That's funny, on my firefox it just doesn't show..."

It doesn't matter .... As I already said above...
Open up GameGuru and at the top of the screen you will see a " help " Tab
Select " Read User Manual "

Its the same one
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2017 01:01
http://gamegurureport.blogspot.com/p/my-tutorialstechnique-evaluations.html

All my tutorials and writeups of a game-dev persuasion.

Beyond that your next best friend is the Lua manual.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
The help button sends a message to the support desk (probably Lee)
Maybe try opening the forums in different browser or updating Firefox, also check you aren't blocking java or something.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
ChironK
Years of Service
User Offline
Sad as it is, I must thank you all once more and bid you a very reluctant but final farewell.

Lee Bamber tells me that GameGuru can only be installed through Steam, and a closer look (as well as Lee's ensuing silence on this point) got me convinced that there is no way to transfer it to a safe off-line computer and run it there - as far as I could see no real installation occurs and the whole thing is run over the web.
Now for security reasons I'd rather not have a plague like Steam running stealthily non-stop on my system, thus I truly cannot see any possible way out.

Yours wistfully

Chiron
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 17:06
Just in case you did not get my reply on Support Mail, here is my answer to your query you posted there: "You can only get GameGuru via Steam, but once it is installed, you can copy the entire "\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Guru" folder onto your offline machine and it will run no problems. The only downside is that you will not get the automatic updates unless you repeat the process."
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 17:45 Edited at: 14th Nov 2017 17:46
Quote: "as far as I could see no real installation occurs and the whole thing is run over the web."

None of is "run over the web", you are not looking properly if you think that. It is installed entirely to your PC, the only thing you need it connected to the web for is updates, or if you want to download store content.

Your files are located in steam\steamapps\common\GameGuru and you can run GameGuru directly from the exe file in there without Steam running. You can quite easily copy that folder onto a memory stick and copy it onto an offline computer with no issues.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
ChironK
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I believe Lee helped me clear up the situation exhaustively a few hours ago.

I'm still on Win NT (I'd rather keep my stuff to myself than share it unknowingly with the OS manufacturer), and apparently this changes a lot of things.
Following to Lee's advice (that I did get) I searched painstakingly the Steam folder first and then the whole system drive for anything called *Guru, and nothing popped up but a 'GameGuru' start menu entry with an URL "steam://rungameid/266310".
Besides, I couldn't find on the whole system drive any recent file greater than 200MB - not enough for an entire game creator, I guess. Yet GameGuru did run, though with some problems, on my skeleton PC connected to the web.

Were you Sherlock Holmes sitting before my computer, what would you deduce?

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 22:41
Quote: "Were you Sherlock Holmes sitting before my computer, what would you deduce?"

I don't know personally, Sir, but my good Dr. Watson insists that you should upgrade your operation system.

However since Its very clear to me that you do not intend to do so I'd say that you can either reinstall the app or verify your applications cache via steam to see if all files are present.

-Wolf
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 22:59 Edited at: 14th Nov 2017 23:00
GG wil run on Win NT? That's the most amazing thing i've heard so far this week. Will it still run after the DX11 update?
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 01:07 Edited at: 15th Nov 2017 01:08
Quote: "GG wil run on Win NT? That's the most amazing thing i've heard so far this week. Will it still run after the DX11 update?"

Actually I don't think it will right now ...
It certainly doesn't like XP or Vista anymore and both are no longer supported by GG
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 08:54 Edited at: 15th Nov 2017 09:00
Quote: "No, I believe Lee helped me clear up the situation exhaustively a few hours ago.

I'm still on Win NT (I'd rather keep my stuff to myself than share it unknowingly with the OS manufacturer), and apparently this changes a lot of things.
Following to Lee's advice (that I did get) I searched painstakingly the Steam folder first and then the whole system drive for anything called *Guru, and nothing popped up but a 'GameGuru' start menu entry with an URL "steam://rungameid/266310".
Besides, I couldn't find on the whole system drive any recent file greater than 200MB - not enough for an entire game creator, I guess. Yet GameGuru did run, though with some problems, on my skeleton PC connected to the web.

Were you Sherlock Holmes sitting before my computer, what would you deduce?
"

If you are insisting on using Win NT, then you are never going to be satisfied, in fact very little gaming/game dev software will ever run on that machine, not only is Win NT completely unsupported now, but for gaming and game dev sfrtware it never was supported ever, Win NT is a workstation/server operating system, it doesn't have the DLL's etc to run graphics intense software, it wasn't designed to do that.

Also, if you are not finding the files, then you are either looking in the wrong place, or something is very screwy on your machine, because there's 32gb of them right there where Lee described for me on all of my machines:

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Easiest way to find it is right click "game guru" in your steam library (open steam first and click library) then go to properties and click "local files" and click browse local files.
Then make a shortcut of gameguru.exe
You can now close and exit steam and run GG from the exe.

The real question is - what extreme stuff do you get up to on your computer that you feel is so important to hide? :p
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 10:25 Edited at: 15th Nov 2017 10:25
Quote: "Lee Bamber tells me that GameGuru can only be installed through Steam, and a closer look (as well as Lee's ensuing silence on this point) got me convinced that there is no way to transfer it to a safe off-line computer and run it there - as far as I could see no real installation occurs and the whole thing is run over the web.
Now for security reasons I'd rather not have a plague like Steam running stealthily non-stop on my system, thus I truly cannot see any possible way out."

I'm actually a little confused ... Are you saying you don't have steam or GameGuru installed ?
If so then you wont have the files on your PC ..
PM
ChironK
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to let the fox into the hen house!
Fact is, I tried to locate GameGuru in my whole computer before uninstalling Steam (I'll be a little dumb, but not THAT dumb, but to no avail. And still, without anything massive enough on the hard drive to account for it, GameGuru would run almost fine - except for a menu bar just 1-pixel high.
Only then, after finding out that there wasn't anything I could transfer to my off-line computer, I threw in the towel, erased the whole disk and restored the latest backup on it.

As far as 'upgrading' to a newer operating system goes, I've tried out rather exhaustively Win7, Win8, Win8.1 and Win10. Apart from Win10, that I deleted immediately as it tried to set its own rules and decide what was good for me, the others are still on a shelf, each on its own hard drive, collecting dust until I'll be in dire need of something capable to run a 64-bit-only application. I like it better slim and fast.

Quote: "The real question is - what extreme stuff do you get up to on your computer that you feel is so important to hide? :p"

Oh, just a few dozen user_name-password pairs, my bank account coordinates, a few very private messages my wife wrote me when we were 18, the access parameters to classified data of a research institute I'm working for... but that's not the point.
The point is, I'd rather not leave my front door open although I don't have a penchant for performing satanic rituals at home. Nor would I welcome a webcam installed in my bathroom.
"The one who has nothing to hide has nothing to fear" was a favorite refrain of the Holy Inquisition, of the Gestapo, of the KGB and of several other commendable institutions, you know...

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 15:33
Quote: "And still, without anything massive enough on the hard drive to account for it"

You know that gameguru isn't one big massive file right? The editor exe is only around 3mb, the lightmapper is about 15mb, and the editor itself is about 15.5mb, everything else is lots of smaller files spread across multiple folders.

If it is installed on your machine it is there, if you can't find it, then you're just not looking in the right place, this isn't some big conspiracy to force you into going online :p

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 15:40 Edited at: 15th Nov 2017 15:42
Quote: "Apart from Win10, that I deleted immediately as it tried to set its own rules and decide what was good for me"

Actually you can have total control of Windows 10 ..
The trick is not to be online when you install or skip the wireless connection ...
This way it wont insist on an email address and password which will then allow you to set it any way you want
PM
ChironK
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "this isn't some big conspiracy to force you into going online :p"

Uh, and I thought I was online right now... Yet deciding (or at least knowing) if and when I'm online makes me feel so comfortable...
No, I didn't know that GG is spread along so many files. However they weren't where they should have been (Lee is supposed to know that, right?), and this bizarre link GameGuru-"steam://rungameid/266310" really looks like the last piece of the puzzle.

Quote: "Actually you can have total control of Windows 10 ..
The trick is not to be online when you install or skip the wireless connection ...
This way it wont insist on an email address and password which will then allow you to set it any way you want "

Yes, it does make a lot of sense - at least until the next time I connect to the web and get a system update. But then?

A last thing: a keyboard slip made me lie bluntly, I'm actually on WinXP and not on WinNT - I doubt that on NT I could even get all the required peripheral drivers.
Which makes me a Neanderthal rather than an Australopithecus, I guess

PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 16:59

I'm so confused. What's going on here?

Nevermind, carry on. I'm going to duck out the nearest doorway.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 17:12 Edited at: 15th Nov 2017 17:13
Quote: "Yes, it does make a lot of sense - at least until the next time I connect to the web and get a system update. But then?"

Nope ... still no log in will be required
But if your really that worried then I wouldn't even be on the internet .. Not installing steam or GameGuru " wont " stop you getting hacked .. In fact steam is the least thing to worry about these days ..

The " steam://rungameid/266310 " is just the steam Rungame ID shortcut path ... Nothing unusual there ...

The whole program is still installed in C:\ Program Files (X86) \ Steam \ SteamApps \ Common \ GameGuru
And the GameGuru folder is what your after
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 17:16
Being online with XP is a high risk activity. Different risks to those you are avoiding by not using 7,8 etc. But without some other protection an XP system alone is wide open to those with the correct skill set. You're probably aware just thought I'd mention in case not.

I do miss XP .

Cheers.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 17:24 Edited at: 15th Nov 2017 17:27
Quote: "and this bizarre link GameGuru-"steam://rungameid/266310" really looks like the last piece of the puzzle."

That link is a Steam link, it's a coded string that tell steam to load and launch that specific piece of software, and actually has nothing to do with GameGuru itself, it's just a steam shortcut.

The files are all on your hard drive somewhere, they have to be otherwise you would not be able to run them even from the steam shortcut.

The easiest way to find them is through steam itself, right click GameGuru in your library list, select properties, click the "local files" tab and click browse local files. This should open up the GameGuru firectory where all the files are, just copy everything in that directory to a USB stick, then on the other machine create a folder called GameGuru wherever you want it, and cpy those files into it. Then when you want to run it you use GameGuru.exe.

Quote: "A last thing: a keyboard slip made me lie bluntly, I'm actually on WinXP and not on WinNT - I doubt that on NT I could even get all the required peripheral drivers.
Which makes me a Neanderthal rather than an Australopithecus, I guess "

Oh thank the lord for that, i thought it was odd you were trying to use WIndows NT lol.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:52:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:52:22