Virtual Reality / Microsoft Mixed Reality VR ????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2017 02:41
The release of the Microsoft Mixed Reality head set and controller, seems to be a game changer, with all the Major MFGs now in the game (Dell, HP, etc.)

Will this be looked at for Game Guru?

In general, anyone have any feelings about this unit, say for gaming on Steam, which has announced support.

Glad I didn't buy-in a year ago. But this one looked interesting???

Comments?

THX
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

AMD 6300 6 core 3.5 ghz, Windows 8.1, 8GB ram, GTX 650 2GB ram
Loretta
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Generation Zero; Skyrim SE , Fallout 4, In VR- Pistol Whip,
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 06:17
I just purchased the Lenovo Explorer version directly from Microsoft tonight.
Its on sale with controllers for $299... a great deal.
I've seen lots of good reviews on Youtube. I can't wait to get it.

I will let you know how it works 3-7 Business days from now.

I would love to use Game Guru to create for this medium.
I bought all of the AGK programs that will allow me to create for VR and for converting from GG to AGK.

Lots to learn!

"The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek." - Joseph Campbell

ASUS ROG G20- Desktop Intel Core i7-6700 -3.4Ghz - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970-4GB - Windows 10 64bit
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 08:13
That's a ridiculous price, i wouldn't even buy a whole console game system for that price.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 13:48
Everything about vr is over priced at the moment,I think I’ve I’ll wait until it settles down.a bit further down the line you will get one with your mobile phone contract .interesting that Apple have brought a Vr development company and moved there staff into there main building,now that one won’t be cheap .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GoDevils
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2017 22:04
To Loretta...

I saw your response and found the same deal. They even had it in stock at the Windows store, and I picked it up today. That's where the good news ends.

Got it home, got it set, and plugged it in. The Mixed Reality Protal tests your computer to make sure it can handle the head set. I had to upgrade my graphic card, and add blue tooth. OK, got those done, Microsoft test gives me thumbs-up.... However, when I plug in the head set I get a USB error. saying that I must have a USB 3.0 port.

What I have found out is that Windows 10 has built-in drivers for USB 3.0, and so my system meets the requirements, but the physical ports on my computer are only USB 2.0 ports. Thus, I must add an additional upgrade to get 3.0 ports. The problem is that I have a short mother board, and with the oversize graphics card covering two ports, I cannot get a USB 3.0 card in my computer.

Unless someone has a suggestion, the Head Set is going back. I'm not about to spend the money on a new computer just to get this to work. Sorry Microsoft... now a very good plan for the release of a new product.
"THERE IS NO SPOON"

AMD 6300 6 core 3.5 ghz, Windows 8.1, 8GB ram, GTX 650 2GB ram
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2017 13:44 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2017 13:49
pretty sure all VR headsets require USB 3.0, the data transfer rate needs to be high or you will not sync correctly and get very sick.
are you sure all your ports are usb 2? sometimes you only get 1 or 2 usb 3.0 ports (generally at the back) and the rest are usb 2.0 (you can tell as they will be blue inside), depends how old your motherboard is though.
and no there's not much you can do if your motherboard doesn't support them, you need a different connection wire.

Quote: "I bought all of the AGK programs that will allow me to create for VR and for converting from GG to AGK.
Lots to learn!"

it's all on sale right now, if you didn't get it at sale price i would maybe look into returning it and purchasing on sale (in steam), steam are fine with this as long as you're within the normal requirements (under 2 weeks since purchase and less than 2 hours used).
i've had them for a little while now (actually got the VR dlc way before i got a VR headset just because i wanted to support AGK going in that direction), got to say, it's a very easy to use DLC which makes creating basic VR games as simple as making non-VR games.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Loretta
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Generation Zero; Skyrim SE , Fallout 4, In VR- Pistol Whip,
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 20:41 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2017 20:42
I bought the Lenovo Explorer.
I found it a pretty good fit and light on the head and everything installed fine.
Unfortunatly I wasn't thrilled with the sweet spot size and there seemed to be something wrong with the right lens so I am sending it back.

I think I will wait until they get all the bugs out and come up with better lenses.
Steam is still in beta and its really a pain.

I am not thrilled with the Fresnel lenses.
They didn't seem any better than the lenses in the $20 VR headset I bought for my phone.
Its especially a pain for people who need to wear glasses.
The glasses fit fine, but they were sitting right on the lenses and scratching them.
The sweet spot is very small, and it gets fuzzy if things don't line up perfectly

So I will wait until I can get lenses that have a larger sweet spot made out of something that doesn't scratch so easily and are adjustable physically for Pupillary distance.. the software adjustments weren't very good.

Thinking of trying the Samsung next, but will try that at Best Buy.
"The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek." - Joseph Campbell

ASUS ROG G20- Desktop Intel Core i7-6700 -3.4Ghz - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970-4GB - Windows 10 64bit
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:55:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:55:47