Product Chat / Sky or skybox

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 12:29 Edited at: 30th Oct 2017 13:08
hi

i created a hemisphere skybox in 3ds max with a texture, illuminated at 100%.

when i import my model into GG, the model and the texture works great, but i have 2 problems.

1 the texture is not illuminated at 100%
2 the skydome get a shadow from the sun of gg.

how can i remove the shadows and make the object 100 auto illuminated?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 14:41 Edited at: 30th Oct 2017 14:43
im testing with GG and i need to have that skybox problem be solved.

im working on models like wow

textures and models are easy to produce for GG i think its a good solution, not heavy in memory, no need of bump, pbr, or complex shaders & shadows.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 14:55
For the skybox issue - try turning your fog intensity to 0; if that resolves it then it's a problem with the way your fog is setup.
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 15:49
no its not that, i have no fog at all, fog is allready at 0.
what i would like is to make a skybox from a picture i made in photoshop.
problem is, when i replace a skybox in GG with my own dds, the pictures are at a wrong place.

so im sure, GG skybox is WRONG with coordinates, because every skybox generator i use, create the skyboxes textures parts allways at the same places; but once inside GG its completly wrong...

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 16:06
I had to manually modify my .x file initially to make it work, but it's easy enough to do. Just edit the .x file, find the filename of the picture, and modify it's name to reflect the one that would be the proper one.
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 16:24
i cant import x objects into 3ds max
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 16:27 Edited at: 30th Oct 2017 16:38
Quote: "so im sure, GG skybox is WRONG with coordinates, because every skybox generator i use, create the skyboxes textures parts allways at the same places; but once inside GG its completly wrong...
"

I wouldn't say its wrong, as GG originally wasn't intended to work in conjunction with those generators. But I completely understand your frustration. Took me quite a while to wrap my head around how the skybox UV maps were setup as yes your right it doesn't match how much of the generators output them.

I've only made one skybox with a generator so far. But I'm hoping to play around more with making some from scratch in photoshop. Might make a tutorial on it once i wrap my head around it.

How most unwrapped skyboxes work in other games engines (not sure if its the same in GG)

That's why to date I've only made only one skybox but plan on doing more. At the least you can just rearrange your DDS texture file names till you get it right on all sides matching up. As mentioned above.

EDIT: Just realized you made a skydome and not a skybox. Did you place it in the scene as an entity? Also if its a skybox than our advice isn't going to work about the meshes and filename matching for the DDS If you're placing it as an entity it will require a special shader to make sure it doesn't cast shadows on itself.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 16:43 Edited at: 30th Oct 2017 17:09
Thanks Teabone, yeah the skydome is not a good solution, it blocks shadows from the GG sun, and it make more problems to solve, also scales problems...

i use this for generating my skyboxes
http://gonchar.me/panorama/

but when i import to gameguru, the pictures are completly at a wrong places so im pretty sure, something is wrong in GG skyboxes.
Also the file_names are wrong, they need to be:
T = top
B = bottom
L = left
R = right
F = front
K = back

i dont understand WHY Lee has changed that by: B D F L R U this is very wrong for 3d users, because B can mean in this case BOTTOM or BACK...
and thats where the problem is actually.... also U D no sorry, it has to be T & B.

Hope Lee can check and change that.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 17:00
What would only be needed is an updated .X file that would be compatible with the default export from those generators. I think I may even have one I made a while back when I did my nebula skybox.

https://www.tgcstore.net/product/29240

If the mesh is compatible with the generator from that site i'll send it to you.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 17:01 Edited at: 30th Oct 2017 17:04
thanks Teabone for your help but Lee has seriously too look at this, is not a major or complex update to do so it can be changed quickly.
for people like me who test GG a lot and would like to do a rapid prototype this kind of problem is really borring to spent time to solve... and when you want to do a quick prototype and you are stuck with a basic stuff like that... i can imagine the rest....
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 17:15 Edited at: 30th Oct 2017 17:19
Quote: "but when i import to gameguru, the pictures are completly at a wrong places so im pretty sure, something is wrong in GG skyboxes."

As far as i know GameGuru uses its own layout which is different to the generators, so no, not wrong, just different.

Quote: "but Lee has seriously too look at this, is not a major or complex update to do so it can be changed quickly."

A. Changing the order of the textures in the skybox would be probably a change to how the rendering engine renders skyboxes, not exactly a quick change.

and

B. Why does he need to change anything? Nothing's broken, it's working perfectly, t's just not working how you thought it would work.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 17:21 Edited at: 30th Oct 2017 17:24
Quote: "for people like me who test GG a lot "

Me too and I'm sure others more.

I spent most of my time not in the engine at all and more so in 3DSMAX and LUA.

For things like assets like skyboxes and alike I have also figured out workarounds. While this can take hours to even days there always is a way around most "problems" with GG. For the .X we could perhaps make a good quality free one that uses the same UV pattern that matches those generators and possibly add that into the stock and use it's .X as reference.

However I honestly don't see that happening as its not been a big issue to most users. What would be needed then is a skybox generator for GG specifically and I'm sure someone out there is or has worked on one.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 17:35 Edited at: 30th Oct 2017 17:37
well lot of people know GG need to be updated, enhanced, better functions, better gui, more functions, easier to use, better import, if we get that, gg can be more used by users, and can sold also more copies on steam.

i dont think asking for changing the skybox in gg is like asking to change gg to a 64bits engine...
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 17:48
The big issue as I understand it is the pipelining that's done basically prevents him from doing a point release at this time. So if you want a fix done you'd need to wait until that actual patch as it'd be bundled in OR after the patch drops when it comes as a separate point release.

So you're better off fixing it yourself for now.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 03:01 Edited at: 31st Oct 2017 03:02
Lee is incredibly busy with this new build thats on the way. I know that much. A lot of bug fixing internally for the new DX11 features. So things like this i don't see him spending time on yet as its not critical. Crashes and bugs are pretty critical

imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 09:29
yes i know he is very busy but "hope" for an update is free
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't Rolfys map use a SkyDome?
(Forgot the name of it, I'm sure someone will know)
Perhaps you could look into that and see if you can get your dome working in place of the box.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 15:19
An update that compensates for 5 minutes of work to rearrange sky box textures and may break existing sky boxes just seems like an inefficient use of the scarce resource (Lee) to me. More important things to do - just change the textures yourself and it will work. This is a very small idiosyncrasy of GG that is easily remedied (unlike others).

Cheers.
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2017 23:40 Edited at: 4th Nov 2017 23:51
Hi all
Changing the way the engine works now will break all previous skyboxes. Now that is not 5 minute fix for the artists who have skyboxes in the store which would have to be fixed, but also means you have to fix any of your own skyboxes as well., again not a five minute job unless you only have one or two - I have heaps of the things!

I have made dozens of skyboxes for Game Guru. Once you get you template\workflow sorted it is simple as can be.

GG uses separate textures for each side of the cube, all you have to do is name them correctly and they will work. If you think about the names GG uses they do make sense: the sky is UP the ground is DOWN. In your software of choice just set it up to spit out separate sides that make sense to you, so you can name them appropriately for GG, and make sure you match the names you use in the .X file (use notepad)

So although perhaps it doesn't work the way other systems work it is not broken, it is just different, so don't fight it - go with it.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:26:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:26:31