Feature Creep / Reset button in TAB, TAB Setting - "Reset Button" and/or "Ghosted" / "Overlay" feature

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2017 15:48 Edited at: 8th Oct 2017 15:49
I do not think this would take much coding by Lee. (Seems more of a visual trick as values are saved with the level and should just reflect that in Tab, Tab.)

I think Lee could put in a "Reset Button" so that values go back to default when pressed in Tab Tab mode. However, if the user could do it manually if the "Ghosted" / "Overlay" concept is implemented by Lee.

Currently:

I captured a screen shot of original values and work backwards from there. I also have to mark down any values I change in the slider and compare them to the chart.

Better Design:

It would be great if a "ghosted" background of the slider position represented as the original value location and an "overlay" of your own tweaked values represented the users changes. Currently, there is no way to distinguish tweaked values vs the original. I believe this would greatly improve the overall design functionality of the Tab, Tab mode.

What do people think about this idea as an improvement to the Tab, Tab interface FEEDBACK desighn over what exists now? How are you using the values there?

Thanks
PC SPECS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2700K (PASSMARK:10401.1), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 GPU (PASSMARK:5079.4) , 16GB RAM
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2017 18:50 Edited at: 15th Oct 2017 18:53
Ok, I created a Quick Mock up of features that would highlight/explain things better in my post. (I hope.)

1) New Menu for global settings improvement...Any more Ideas here.
2) Individual - Reset buttons for each matrix panel
3) Enhanced feedback of personal slider settings (Orange) vs Lee's original settings (GREEN).
4) I forgot to put this menu option in (STOP GAME PLAY - AI)

PC SPECS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2700K (PASSMARK:10401.1), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 GPU (PASSMARK:5079.4) , 16GB RAM

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2017 15:23 Edited at: 16th Oct 2017 15:57
I put in a few more menu options. (Fixed an overlay over site in Photoshop to represent settings values contrast)

Obviously, this mock-up is only showing the "grass" and "contrast and brightness" changing in an over all map, but you can imagine the rest changed as well.

1) Lee can probably easily change the slider behavior since the code is already there to change the numbers. The fields would just be changed to a different size and color to stand out more....or even stay white is fine. Just as long as feedback is there for us personally.

I gather Lee knows all the original values, but that does not help the user keep track of changes as I said I now have to refer to a captured chart.

2) Also, Lee should be easily able to put in a menu option button to Stop/Pause AI as he does it in F9 "Entity" mode. So that entities are not attacking you in Tab, Tab mode if don't want that happening.

3) Potential High, Medium, Low values are doable I think given the testing of DX11. Every system is different though.

Anything else as a "feature creep" people can think of.

[EDIT Addition]: Also, while I am at it for "features" ...I would like the font on the matrix screen to be a bit larger and thus much clearer and more legible on 1080 x 1920 screens. The font choice is not very good legibility wise.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 16th Oct 2017 16:03
Quote: "I gather Lee knows all the original values, but that does not help the user keep track of changes as I said I now have to refer to a captured chart."

The "original" values seem to change every update, so i would hold off on this until he has finally stopped working on the shader side of things and settled on what exactly th defaults are going to be.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 19:06
Yes,

true...but I am still making the point here for a better indicator or value setter. Mostly, with a "comparative" factor to what Lee puts down and what we as users of GG put down in sliders.

As this sample shows, we don't even need "fancy" additional sliders just numbers will do....that is already programmed in. The "background" is just a easy static image of the fixed values over Lees already working dynamic values.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:47:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:47:01