Product Chat / GameGuru Standalone Games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What is wrong with GameGuru ?

When I make an Stand alone Game :

If I make that *.exe file program writes it's own files in it's own folders.
I have no control ower those filenames or folders.

They are also named with GameGuru and Steam.

Games I make are not really Mine they are totally Gameguru and Steam.

Sorry GameGuru Development Team !!!

There is also that start screen that says my games are made with GameGuru,
I dont want that if I make MY GAMES !!

So sad, when I pay for a software to build MY OWN games,
they want to own it anyway or at least mark it with logos and text
start screens....

There is a way.. to use HEX editor with *.exe files,and edit it so that GameGueu screen dont
show at all when you start your game.
Also other files can be edited/renamed, if you know what you are doing....
Well..folder names also.

(also other inside info in exe file can be removed/changed/linked).

(I have done it for my own test purposes only).
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 23:45 Edited at: 21st Sep 2017 23:46
Until we get an official menu editor pretty much all the loading screens can be manually edited and can in fact be contained in your own folders ...
Steam API files are required for software with some level of Steam integration (GameGuru uses Steam for workshop access and multiplayer functionality).

I think Leadwerks and S2Engine HD also contain them in their standalones
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 23:55
A stand alone game, when made, is saved in documents/game guru files/my games/your game.
The startscreen and icon is a basic background / icon which you can replace with your own created images.
I believe the info on that is all in the manual and explained in one of the many videos on twitch and youtube.

There is no need for a HEX editor, simply prepare it as you want it before you create your stand alone version.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 23:57 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2017 00:02
Quote: "Steam API files are required for software with some level of Steam integration (GameGuru uses Steam for workshop access and multiplayer functionality)"

Steam will soon rule the gaming world,starting to hate the word steam .

Quote: "There is also that start screen that says my games are made with GameGuru,
I dont want that if I make MY GAMES !!"

Yes you do ,but you use GG to make them.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 23:57
Ah synchromesh replied faster than me
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 02:15 Edited at: 25th Sep 2017 02:16
Remember dealing with this issues many years ago with FPSC. I think the only solution to really change the icon and process name is to create a game launcher. There are a number of free programs for this. Though I unfortunately can't think of any right now.

As for splash screens, I'm pretty sure you could just replace the image?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 09:50
You can change the images in "\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Guru\Files\languagebank\english\artwork\watermark" folder to remove all reference to GameGuru from the splash screen sequence. The executable icon can be changed with something like ResHacker or IconForge and of course, the default assets (2D, 3D, audio, settings) can be replaced with your own creations, effectively hiding most evidence that it was created with GameGuru. A practiced eye, however, will be able to tell, unless you completely re-write the game loop script that controls things like game controls and logic, and hijack all the internal effects for explosions, projectiles, e.t.c. It can be done though.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So sad, when I pay for a software to build MY OWN games,
they want to own it anyway or at least mark it with logos and text
start screens...."

reminds me of the time I bought MY OWN car and realised they want to keep their brand name on it.... don't they realise I drive it, keep it clean, refuel it?? how dare they!
wait we can just change those screens? oh never mind then.

your name is right, you are a jokke
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 12:57 Edited at: 25th Sep 2017 13:02
Yeah, as said just replace ALL the screens with your own. You don't have to have Game Guru anywhere on the menu screens.

It is also a good idea to just search or ask on the forums if there are ways around things - plenty folk around here will gladly tell you if it can be done and how to do it

As for Steam many of us are hoping it will evaporate eventually - but don't hold your breath - it's just one of those things residing on my computer that would definitely not be there if I could avoid it - bit like a virus only worse because you cant hunt it down and destroy it

I find it completely amazing that some free software that is available for direct download from the developers website (Blender for example) are also available on Steam, why would I want to get that from them.......

I just wish I could get Game Guru with out Steam, if I could Steam would be uprooted from my system in a heartbeat (or two)

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 13:13
Lee, hacking the .exe file to change the icon could also damage the exe.
It would be great to have a folder for the icon file or to use the same folder as for the default menu.
The standalone building process should grab the icon from here...
I think there's the GG icon inside... But it not change it for the game, if I use my icon...
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 13:36 Edited at: 25th Sep 2017 13:38
Quote: "I find it completely amazing that some free software that is available for direct download from the developers website (Blender for example) are also available on Steam, why would I want to get that from them....... "

Depends on the developer, if i had the choice between downloading from a developer i don't know, or downloading that same software from Steam, i would choose Steam, simply because Steam is a well known and trusted company, so i know it's safe to download from them, especially if i'm paying for the software.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Most games are rarely written from scratch and usually have a " Powered By Unreal engine " or something and that includes the big companies out there.
So even if they paid millions to develop a game its something they may have to include ?

Pretty much everything can be edited in GG but to be honest I probably would have a " Powered By " somewhere
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 14:00
I guess "powered by Unreal" is some kind of a seal of "quality" (maybe not always)
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 16:49 Edited at: 25th Sep 2017 16:56
Quote: "So even if they paid millions to develop a game its something they may have to include ?"

Doubtful, I imagine they have left it on purpose. Unreal is pretty much considered one of the best engines available, so no real problem. Normally as you know, most engines have a free version which includes the logos and such, to be rid you have to pay for the full product. It's only with engines that are considered less impressive that people try to hide they made something from them. In this case it's probably a good thing to say made in Unreal.

I can't say I've seen any youtuber reviews spouting something in the lines of "This is rubbish, it's quite obviously made in Unreal which as we know is awful." Although if there weren't those big games that sport the Unreal Logo it may well have, there's bad games released that used Unreal as well. It just doesn't tend to get blamed for it. Everyone remembers a few good Unreal games, some would say Unreal Tournament for one, although I never liked it.

One thing about this issue. Game Guru can be made to look fairly unique. That is until it crashes for some reason, there's no changing the Gameguru.exe error screen

Edit - Oh on the Steam topic, I have no issues with it really. It's a reasonable way to get software in these days of downloads, rather than physical copies. I prefer it to having 6 different store apps all running at once. I prefer getting a box and DVD etc as well, but these days it is just not an option generally. I for one would not be happy if Steam went boom, as I have a fair number of games I would suddenly lose. Still, even physical copies have issues. New windows versions stop old games running as well, disks can be damaged; so it seems we must be destined to lose out eventually whatever the case.

One thing it does do is give you instant (as fast as your internet) access to your games catalogue on a new or re formatted PC without having to start digging in boxes etc.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 17:52
"One thing it does do is give you instant (as fast as your internet) access to your games catalogue on a new or re formatted PC without having to start digging in boxes etc."

That's right, but I miss the big box games... I still have a lot of them from the C64, Amiga & Dos area.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2017 18:55 Edited at: 25th Sep 2017 18:58
For the price point we're paying for... i would say your lucky there are ways to remove the "game guru" labeling on your game.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2017 00:14 Edited at: 26th Sep 2017 00:18
Quote: "Depends on the developer, if i had the choice between downloading from a developer i don't know, or downloading that same software from Steam, i would choose Steam, simply because Steam is a well known and trusted company, so i know it's safe to download from them, especially if i'm paying for the software."

Well I think we can trust the blender.org. Any software that is available from the source is trustworthy enough for me. Not to mention getting it without unnecessary overheads

Quote: "Most games are rarely written from scratch and usually have a " Powered By Unreal engine " or something and that includes the big companies out there."

Recore is a made with Unity and proudly presents the Unity logo in the start-up screens.

The only problem I see with using the Game Guru logo is many of the games made with it should not be released to the world anyway, and just give Game Guru a bad rap because of it.

It is really quite amazing how the Steam crowd and the YouTube wannabees can't work out that is not the engine at fault but the developer\publisher\distributer who's is at fault for badly made games.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 26th Sep 2017 08:16
Quote: "It is really quite amazing how the Steam crowd and the YouTube wannabees can't work out that is not the engine at fault but the developer\publisher\distributer who's is at fault for badly made games."

Oh believe me, they know that quite clearly, but them telling us that when they're reviewing, and judging based solely on the game itself without griping about the engine isn't going to make the content any more interesting :p

Quote: "Well I think we can trust the blender.org. Any software that is available from the source is trustworthy enough for me. Not to mention getting it without unnecessary overheads "

I agree, but if you had never heard of blender, and someone had mentioned it, would you rather get it from an potentially unsecured and unknown source, or from a download system that you know is virus free and safe? Plus the bonus with steam for them is that it provides a system for updating automatically, thus reducing their overheads on their servers, remember they're operating for free so they need to keep costs down as much as they can.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
SHAHIN3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 26th Sep 2017 09:20
Game Guru Requires settings for Savestandalon

Mr. Lee said they would do this and put it in the development plan.

But for the logo start the program
It's very convenient and can be done manually

You can work with Photoshop and change the logo
Visit this address in the software
And change all images with different resolution

Game Guru\Files\languagebank\english\artwork\watermark

Work is finished

But the exe output still has a problem
Because the exe output is an editor
And there are problems
I got them email to Mr. Lee
And they say the new version will not have this problem
I made a game.
And I'm waiting for the new version.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218616
amir
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2017 10:59
@Belido, yeah, agreed I get your point. I guess not everyone is crazy strict about what goes on their computer.

I guess the other thing with Steam is that you don't need to worry about keys whatever for your software since it is all linked to your account, which is a definite bonus (ooohhhh I think that means Steam IS useful - did I really say that? Better go check my temperature!)

@SHAHIN3D yes we are all expecting some goodness from the next release

Reliquia....

aka OldFlak
PM
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2017 18:10
For the record:

1) Yes, you can edit the screens. (Good)

2) I absolutely hate that you can't change the GG icon to your own without damaging the exe. or at all in something that claims to make/distribute your own games. (Bad)

3) I would not mind some branding at start up to give credit to those due to it if non-obtrusive and polished graphic.
PC SPECS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2700K (PASSMARK:10401.1), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 GPU (PASSMARK:5079.4) , 16GB RAM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 27th Sep 2017 19:44
You can change the icon using resource hacker and it doesn't damage the exe. It takes seconds once you know how. Lee has given permission to do this. I agree it would be easier if it was a feature of GG itself.

Cheers.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2017 08:27 Edited at: 28th Sep 2017 08:28
If u worry about the icon of your game which u want to release on steam...
Don't worry, for the steam desktop shortcut u have to do it a different way, and your game will have custom desktop icon.
Only if the user go inside the steam game folder, they will see the GG icon.

Ok, and on startup the game, they will see the GG icon logo in the taskbar...
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2017 20:03
Quote: "Don't worry, for the steam desktop shortcut u have to do it a different way, and your game will have custom desktop icon."

That's actually really good to know for publishing to Steam to have that option.

I remember back in the days of windows 95 and 98 most applications had an .ICO file in the same folder as the .EXE file and it would reference the graphics from that icon file.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:56:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:56:03