Work In Progress / Jinni - Fantasy / Sci-Fi RPG Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 03:00
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/e6NZT9aY4SQ[/video]
Recent Gameplay footage (New video soon but this is more or less up to date)

Video Dev series playlist
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwwrbrrWDmU[/video]

Overview
Jinni is a fantasy / Sci-Fi game in development that will fuse elements of FPS / RPG into a world of post-apocalypse where the Jinn, once forced to act in the shadows now rule the fate of the Earth.[img]null[/img] Informed by the ancient past and a hypothetical future, it will feature a tribe system and creative character design, as well as an open ended gameplay mechanic.

An indie game project in the UK, using the GameGuru engine currently By Chris Godber and Harvey Mccauley , two indie game developers based in Manchester, UK.

Progress
Progress is going quite well considering we've been on it for a month or so, we have our core mechanics planned, I'm making good progress on the initial terrain and area design, and have started incorporating more scripts and some basic AI for NPC's etc.. Eventually we hope to make it an ambitious and interesting game that can also offer multiple choice endings, a decent amount of tribe interactions , quest and shop system and custom characters / animations etc. The core story element is tied up with Islamic mythology but placing that into a futuristic setting, so it's quite unique in that respect I think. The video / vlog series has been good to do, as it allows us both to track progress and get feedback and monitor our own progress.

Level Design
In some respects the setting is similiar to Frank Herbert's Dune, and I am trying to design the levels to reflect Dune - a mix of old and new, the arcane and the technological, so far I have developed a map with a village area, a markey, and comms / science areas and mountainous ranges. Diving more into how to make the terrain look really polished and lighting at present. The initial map is about half way done, and we will probably build 2 or 3 of these large areas so it potentially will be quite a large game.

Story
It the dawn of the year 2153 and a new age of ice has descended upon the Earth.
A cataclysmic cybernetic desolation pervades everything -
it is a new dark age as tribal culture and conflicts driven by the age of technology and ancient beliefs fused into one unholy empire of warring sectarian tribes vye for dominance over the dwindling resources of the Earth, all looking for an escape into the expanding mysteries of deepest space, their flags as multifaceted as their tenants of Faith.

All nuance gone, all differences eliminated within each tribe. Each facing the other with a war cry instead of a smile.
The age of Darkness began in the year 2050, when ‘they’ made themselves known to the world, when ‘they’ came out of the shadows and into the light, ‘they’ were The Jinn.

Those born of the flame. The Jinn, whose name is whispered and whose hand guides and controls the destiny of man, always in the shadows and only spoken in tongues between those who would seek to bring them back into the light, and those who would join them in bringing forth an even darker nightmare…

You are a young man stepping forth into the world, to find your jinnī in the harsh and unforgiving world as you step forth into the endless night, you wonder, where will the hand of the Jinn guide you?

Towards the blackest night, and power over the lives of man? or towards a new man and a new and endless freedom?
It is for you to decide, as choices have always guided, in this, the world of man.
Find the Jinn, purge them or join them, save the world or damn it, the choice is yours….

Project tracking
We are also making sure to log progress on Hack n Plan which has sped up the development so far

If you want to follow the games progress on social media we have a facebook page here
https://www.facebook.com/JinniRPG/
and I will be posting about it on my website here
http://www.noirvortex.co.uk/jinni/

Any feedback is sound, I've made a single GameGuru project before ( A satirical 'Kill Stalins' game) so this is mine and Harvey's first 'Big' project if you will to see what the engine is capable of. If we can make this into something decent, we may even port it to Unreal Engine in time.

Screengrabs attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 05:34 Edited at: 21st Sep 2017 05:35
The wording in this is unnecessarily pumpous.

Hello and welcome to making game guru projects that are not "kill stalins"

This seems to be a solid start with a few criticisms

A lot of themes you want to incorporate into your game seem to be a lot bigger than 2 people can properly execute to me but I do not wish to hinder your ambition. I do however notice, that you are trying to incorporate a serious amount of culture into that game (including elements from Dune) which I know to be insanely hard work and time intensive. Especially if only 2 people work on a game.

Quote: "cataclysmic cybernetic desolation"

How can cataclysmic desolation be cybernetic?

Quote: "it is a new dark age as tribal culture and conflicts driven by the age of technology and ancient beliefs fused into one unholy empire of warring sectarian tribes vye for dominance over the dwindling resources of the Earth"

punctuation. Also, an empire can not be divided into warring tribes in this magnitude. Empire usually reflects unity.

Quote: "Diving more into how to make the terrain look really polished and lighting at present"

this is good, more devs need to approach this, please post screenshots once you have accomplished this.

Quote: " their flags as multifaceted as their tenants of Faith."

this sentence is almost masturbatory. The second time in 2 days I use this adverb on this forum. I assume you also believe that "lovecraftian" or "ludonarrative dissonance" are legitimate terms?

Quote: "All nuance gone, all differences eliminated within each tribe. Each facing the other with a war cry instead of a smile."

The first sentence implies almost enlightened unity, the second one warring barbarity. I know that few people take the time to read plotlines, but if you write one, please do make sure that its coherent.

Quote: "Find the Jinn, purge them or join them, save the world or damn it, the choice is yours…."

Isn't this the exact plot of [href=https://sureai.net/games/nehrim/?lang=de]Nehrim?
[/href] only less articulate? But hey! What matters is the game you can make out of it.

Visually what I see are mostly just assets made by other people (including me predominantly :S) that dont reflect anything of what you have just described. A word of advice, I've developed games for ten years now, projects of this scope can only be developed by a studio or developed in a severly limited state (usually in 2d) by an indie team. Doing this as a pair of new devs with no experience is almost impossible. A smaller project would work better to begin. Thats just what I'd advise. Immediately making a facebook and website at this state of development might have also been premature.

Quote: "
Any feedback is sound, I've made a single GameGuru project before ( A satirical 'Kill Stalins' game) "

Lets just not mention this again.

All in all and despite some criticism I wish you the best luck with this and I'm sure to keep an eye on it. Just remember that ya can't make Deus Ex with no prior experience and that rearranging purchased assets does not constitute a proper game!

-Wolf
noirvortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2017 14:16 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2017 14:17
Oh god no intention or delusions of creating Dues Ex, that was a brilliant game created by a team of very experienced developers, and we are two hobbyists doing this in our spare time. Many of the planned features will no doubt be reduced or streamlined somehow but taking a get 'core functions in and then anything additional is just bonus' philosophy to the game mechanics.

Our intentions with this is just make something that will take a few hours to complete and be as immersive as one can create a game in GameGuru I spose. The plot was written quite hastily over a series of hour, and though the setting is a good one I think there are still some gaps we need to fill to be honest, in terms of the setting and the different tribes, that has developed more now but it is an ongoing process.

Made good progress on the level design and the area looks more naturalistic and interesting but as intuitive and easy to use as GameGuru is it's still a slow process. Thanks for your comments they are useful and if you made the cyberpunk pack congrats, it's a very nice model pack, enjoying using it.

There isn't a dedicated website it's just a page on my portfolio website / blog, only going to make a website if we get it to a state which we are happy with, with facebook pages I often create them as a way to record progress and share tutorials on occasion for different projects, so premature perhaps but I usually just invite a few friends to it and it's not being marketed as a commercial product yet - more a dev blog if you will.
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2017 06:49
Hey man, looks good and sounds like an interesting game! Don't let Wolf's over-the-top criticisms discourage you or anything. Just do you and have fun with it!
noirvortex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2017 20:53
Thanks PixelF! Encouragement is nice to hear , I am working on this a LOT, often when I should be doing work for money so every little bit of encouragement helps! Though crits are welcome too, and to be fair Wolf has made a sick asset pack, so I owe him / her a lot. Le peace offering
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2017 23:01
lol dont take Wolfie's crits to heart he's actually been there done that got the t shirt so read it and take it on board It's generally pretty good advice/crits dont worry he beats us all up Its a good start m8 keep going and have fun with it thats what GG is about
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 16:47
In my personal evolution as an artist, my harshest critics have usually helped me the most. I try to word things nicer in the future and I'm sorry if I came across like an ass.

Quote: "Oh god no intention or delusions of creating Dues Ex, that was a brilliant game created by a team of very experienced developers, and we are two hobbyists doing this in our spare time. Many of the planned features will no doubt be reduced or streamlined somehow but taking a get 'core functions in and then anything additional is just bonus' philosophy to the game mechanics.
"

Good to know! Knowing that beforehand can save one a lot of frustration.

Quote: "and though the setting is a good one I think there are still some gaps we need to fill to be honest,"

The setting is fine! Its interesting. My gripes where more geared towards the wording.

Quote: "Thanks for your comments they are useful and if you made the cyberpunk pack congrats, it's a very nice model pack, enjoying using it. "

Thank you!! There is also a sale on my store packs That aside, the first cyberpunk pack media you can get in the steam mega packs was a collab with bugsy. So I can't take all the creds for that one.

Quote: "I am working on this a LOT, often when I should be doing work for money so every little bit of encouragement helps!"

Err! Try to balance that better then. Being into 3d art is cool...affording rent is even cooler. But you're a free man and can do as you wish of course.

-Wolf
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 19:25
Quote: "In my personal evolution as an artist, my harshest critics have usually helped me the most. I try to word things nicer in the future and I'm sorry if I came across like an ass. "

You never come across as an ass to me, your criticism is always on key and bluntly accurate, to be fair I was surprised you weren't more critical of the standalone I asked you to look at for me, I expected more

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:50:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:50:45