Multiplayer / steam vs standalone

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 00:19 Edited at: 17th Sep 2017 14:51
Is it more useful having GG run on the steam servers or our own? Opinions? pros/ cons?
lol just thought i'd give the steam multiplayer a try hmm half hour loading then crashed :/
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2017 18:47
I guess the most PC online games are played with steam.
Creating a multiplayer game would be interesting
Or a game with a multiplayer part.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Tauren
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PUBG,Conan Exiles,WoW,HoMM III,MoO 2,Master of Orion 2016
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 21:02 Edited at: 26th Oct 2017 21:19
I think that the main thing is the multiplayer available to all players (who plays your game).
If it is a server of a steam - it's ok, if it's a player's server (like the old school) is also good... I think, maybe the second option is better..?

The most important thing is that so that all user scripts has worked in the multiplayer map.
I hope, after working on DX11, we will vote for real multiplayer (up to 16 players or even more) - it will give a huge plus for GameGuru, imho, and for my project too . I want to wait and hope.
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2017 21:54 Edited at: 29th Oct 2017 21:55
Yeah m8 the steam thing just didnt work for me im afraid it would be nice to have even a very simple player hosted multiplayer addon to GG (yes i do understand the complications of "simple" but even locally hosted games for families would be a fun cool addition but i also understand that things under the hood need addressing so we'll see i supose its one of those things sooner or later? I supose it depends on how simple or hard it would be to add but only the boss know that
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

Tauren
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PUBG,Conan Exiles,WoW,HoMM III,MoO 2,Master of Orion 2016
Posted: 29th Nov 2017 20:12
I'm a little stuck in 200Х years Therefore, I think that multiplayer on the local network is the easiest, and for the game on the Internet, as an option use a "tunngle" application, for example..
However, this is an ancient approach, surely there are more simpler and modern ways , i think.
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2017 22:10 Edited at: 8th Dec 2017 22:11
Thing is atm people see the ai and ally improvements more important than multiplayer and i agree to a point, that point being although i see these as very important upgrades to gg. I also see the standalone multiplayer upgrade as a means to give us all something to do as we can add scripts to the multiplayer game as its hosted by ourselves. we have just had a long update thats taken 6 months and credit to Lee its a good update, but if we had a local multiplayer client / server before that people could have at least entertianed themselves playing on that instead of sitting idle waiting for the update. eg the ai doesnt need to work on a local server if your just shooting ya mates! but you could have had some nice scripts running to make it interesting. The local server idea still gets my vote even though i think ai and other improvements maybe more important for single player games. It of course would depend on how difficult and quick Lee could implement it as far as im aware it isnt a massive job, but i wouldnt know as my .lua scripting is less than par.if its a quickish job maybe Lee might just throw it in and suprise us all but if you really want it vote for it
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2017 22:46
I consider that both LAN and steam multiplayer are very important, maybe the problem lies in the exessive simplicity that can be provided to maps and (from what I see) the dependence of playing from the engine ...
A contribution nothing more ...
Hugs!
The game is a serious thing (El juego es una cosa seria)
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2018 19:14
If your personal server goes down.. and people purchased your game that require access to it... that's sounds like chaos lol

With steam least you can be assured stability.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2018 00:05 Edited at: 28th Jan 2018 23:53
Aye m8 but the "personal" server it doesnt really matter as the intention here was just between mates. of course they maybe come round and beat you with a stick but hey nobodies perfect lol
P.S reason being here is it would be a nice way to test multiplayer and use it in a close circle, Personally for me my mates and kids for the more commertial games i suppose as you say it would need alot of work but in this case it would be nice to just set up a server and test your game with a few pals
P.P.S Torque achieved this quite well and thats an old engine
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2018 20:54
Hi all

Yeah personally I don't care what servers is used, although LAN is more suited for smaller groups like friends\family in my book.

The problem is that GG multiplayer just doen't work. It hasn't done since day one, at least not for me an my mates -Lol - I still remember being really peeved when after all the work\time that went into adding multiplayer, and we got the first version that had it, and it just didn't work!

One of my favorite LAN games when the kids were younger was Decent (can't remember the version). My son and I used to play that a lot, it just worked flawlessly for hours on end.

I have yet to get even an empty GG map (aside from MP markers of course) that doesn't crash after 2 seconds, if in the rare event that it actually loads the map at all.

So I don't think it is Steam per say - multiplayer just needs some attention.

Maybe github will get it working........

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 23:41
Lets hope m8
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Feb 2018 21:58 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:51
How about we put the key in the ignition and see if the motor rolls first before trying to break the land speed record. This WILL happen over time now that the community has access to the foundation code of the engine. I think there were too many big expectations too soon for GG.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2018 22:42
Yeah agreed m8 I'm sure it will epsecially when we get the chance of a non steam version of gg or a choice at least to use or not use, I use steam dont get me wrong but for this kind of app i would prefer not to, especially with the memory issues its nice to close down steam run GG and have that little extra there
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

danielsimon
Years of Service
User Offline
I think steam is much better to play the multiplayer game than standalone. Playing such game on a server is much more interesting as a number of people connect from various places, thereby making it a huge adventure. I am a huge fan of the multiplayer game and love to play in my free time. Even there are a number of websites which makes it easy for the gamers to buy the CD keys at best price.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:59:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:59:25