Product Chat / internal beta update question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2017 20:23 Edited at: 12th Sep 2017 20:47
Quote: "* Added 'hairlimbs=x,y' to specify a series of limbs that represent hair"

In the latest update thread the above was mentioned, I have a couple of questions

hairlimbs=x,y Are these coordinates for individual bone locations and how would we assign these? Is it intended that these bones be named 'hairlimbs', will we have these assigned using a wildcard and what limit are we looking at? I find using dummies as bones practically removes the bone limit in this engine and in others I have tried it in. So it appears that if it isn't an actual bone then isn't counted but still skins and animates perfectly so you can use a lot more of them.

Quote: "* NOTE: Above can also be used for any limb that required the culling switched OFF"

If I understand what your saying here this will take load off the cpu for these kind of animated models. Are you referring to FULLBOUNDS = 1 to enable limb hit detection on root motion animations?
Do you intend to drop FULLBOUNDS = 1 ? Would be good to know how this will affect current models that use it.

Whatever, it opens a lot of doors for creating hair,cloth etc. In fact there are a bunch of things you could do with it, particularly if you intend to add physics into the mix.

I have no idea where your going with this really, is it intended for the Character Creator or are you guys planning on adding hair and cloth rigged models and characters to the product?
I can see it integrating pretty well with the CC but don't forget this could have a use for a lot of things
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2017 00:54
The 'FULLBOUNDS' is used when a model animation moves all over the place and you want to create a boundbox for the collision detection that encompasses the range of movement (flying demons are good examples of a character that walks and also flies, so the bound box detection needs to cover both). The new 'HAIRLIMBS' is a way to select a range of limbs and designate them to switch their culling off, ideal for meshes that are single sided but you want both sides to render. I am using this new addition for the slightly transparent wings of my new PBR Dragon (see progress blog). It's also good for the hair mesh from a Fuse Character Creator model which is also single sided polygons.

No specific work planned for the Character Creator as my efforts are geared to improving the ability to import from significantly better character creation and 3D modeling tools out there. I think we can all agree the Character Creator is simplistic compared to say iClone or Fuse, and if we are aiming for a leap in graphics quality, we need to go where the cool character models are. I am sure we will return to improve and extend the Character Creator at some point, as with a few extra tweaks it could really turn into something pretty powerful.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2017 05:04 Edited at: 13th Sep 2017 05:11
Quote: " The new 'HAIRLIMBS' is a way to select a range of limbs and designate them to switch their culling off, ideal for meshes that are single sided but you want both sides to render."
I see, it was just that I got the idea you were referring to actual hair movement (the naming is a little confusing) and not simply the culling mode, my bad. Are these 'hairlimbs' just a part of any rigged mesh assigned to the head then or are additional bones expected, it sounds like you are using skin weight assignments to detect these 'limbs'?
I guess I will have to wait and see what some folks do with it to get a better idea of what is meant.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2017 18:58
There will be some limbs (frames/bones) that are part of the character model that render the hair and other single sided polygons (i.e. cloaks) and this limb number (or range) can be specified to instruct that limb not to cull when rendering. No weights involved and no extra bones, e.t.c. Just scan the model for the limb(s) you want to target and edit the FPE accordingly. You will see more once a beta is released which promotes the import features. It is always advised to place all hair and single sided polygons at the start or end of the polygons of the mesh(es) so they are rendered last of all the polygons based on the render frame order (i.e. reverseframes flag).
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info, I am still a little confused by this though.
Are these limbs intended to be animated before import or are they real time physics in engine?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2017 12:39
They are just limbs, they can be animated if you want, or the script can take control of them. No physics control of limbs as yet in the engine. probably best to wait until you can get your hands on a model that uses this field so you can experiment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 13:43:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 13:43:19