Product Chat / Switching between third and first character and back again in-game

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2017 12:48
Not sure if this should be posted here or in scripting so perhaps a mod can move if necessary

Anyway back at the beginning of 2016 Disturbing 13 asked

Quote: "Just curious if anybody has done any looking into taking a third person character and making it to where they can't attack unless they are in first person. An example would be like the Fatal Frame games (or Project 0 for those in other regions). A more current version would be Dread Out. As I said just curious."

but never got a reply.

I am currently working on a short sequence that involved the player passing through a narrow tunnel at one point and a script of whatever to switch between third and first person would be great. Kind of like you can in SkyRim although that is user controlled. Or is this a hard coded thing and not possible through scripting?

Anyone have any info or suggestions on this one.

Thanks.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2017 16:50
Not possible yet as far as I know. It is on the feature voting board list however.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2017 19:08 Edited at: 11th Aug 2017 19:09
Not directly possible at the moment as Teabone says but I did find it worked quite well from Level to level.
So each map could have a different perspective and a variation on gameplay .

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2017 01:36 Edited at: 12th Aug 2017 01:45
Well, I force control over the camera in my RPGMark example. I'm sure checking out the script behind it will give you some ideas here It's quite possible to control the camera in GG and I haven't even tried the latest commands that are available; RPGMark only uses old lua commands - there are several new camera specific commands I have never experimented with which may be far better.

Edit - Of course 3rd person probably complicates matters It may well be possible still, but as I say, there are a lot of new lua commands available which I haven't done any testing of. I've never tried lua scripting for 3rd person stuff, as by default it is still a little basic. It may well be you would have to script everything to be able to switch between views.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2017 17:32
Thanks for the replies guys.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 13th Aug 2017 20:12
You can do this with changes to gameplayercontrol.lua.

I'm on week three of change/test trial and error with this, but it is definitely possible - I keep thinking I've got all the (introduced) bugs and knock-on impacts sorted then another crops up - though I am changing a lot of other player control aspects too.

Cheers.

lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Saboteur looks cool!
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 10:23:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 10:23:19