Product Chat / ? Regarding Vehicles...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2017 16:55
I read through these forums every so often and try to look for any updates to the core as time passes by. I was wondering if anything has been done yet to make a vehicle work correctly yet? I know how to make them work but when they hit a hill or such they now stay above the ground , not falling back down to the ground level. Is there any work around to this yet I may have missed. Thanks
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2017 18:10 Edited at: 8th Aug 2017 17:50
The player has an acceleration property but not a deceleration property. If it did , vehicles would be much easier to do. Rather than coding the deceleration process entirely in LUA yourself.

In this short little video I did a long time ago, it has the player's acceleration take a while to reach max speed. I think if deceleration was possible it would feel more like a car since it wouldnt just automatically stop once the player stopped hitting the throttle. This video is a cut up of clips to simulate the possibility of vehicles in GG.

For me personally i dont have that all much interest in vehicles in GG. As I'm mostly using it for its first person shooter aspects.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2017 18:13 Edited at: 6th Aug 2017 18:22
Officially it's 27 items down on the feature vote list to be added to GG in the future...

However, you might check these links to see what has been done so far (unless you have already seen these):

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/211284

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212442

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/217361

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC50B4jaP4Y
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2017 02:35
Yeah, I think the general consensus out there is Game Guru is still FPSC Reloaded - used to create first person shooter games. Being able to use cars, boats, planes etc realistically, would add so much potential to any game type.

That would actually put game guru more in the league for what it is trying to be as a game engine - that is, a game engine for all types of games.

When you look at the stuff some users, who are are not good at coding, have done via lua, I am sure Lee could add this kind of thing to engine relatively easily, and far more realistically, using his super coding abilities. But given the desire to make drivable cars goes back to 2015, I wouldn't be counting on this being implemented any time soon.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2017 05:02
Thank you for the replies. I tried that same script before, works but vehicle remains in the air if you climb a hill. Except in Tbones video it does climb a hill and returns to the ground. hmmm
PM
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2017 20:00 Edited at: 7th Aug 2017 20:09
I came across your post today and I would really love the ability to simulate car driving in different terrains in GG. Perhaps even bicycle/moped options.

I think these types of things would elevate the product quality branding considerably to the community and would make and excellent selling point. In short I am for extending GG to other game Genera types. FPS, Driving, Questing even the 2D side scroll technique talked about about in other "PRODUCT CHAT" posts.

Sidescroller / Platformer 2.5D:

It also sounds like "Teabone" has made some incredible leaps in "features" in the past 3 weeks with the open LUA system now implemented:

-----------------------------------------------
Day and Night cycles (complete with clock system for seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months & year)

- Complete weather system (13 varieties)
- Climb ladders
- Door and Switches
- Quests
- Stealth Mode
- Crawl Camo Mode
- Lean left and right
- XP Levels (with player stat bonuses)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

GameGuru. Will it ever reach its potential?

I guess GG features are always going to be an issue.
PC SPECS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2700K (PASSMARK:10401.1), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 GPU (PASSMARK:5079.4) , 16GB RAM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Aug 2017 20:22
there is another type of driving this thread may help https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218283

the buggies can be driven by players
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 16.0GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2017 00:04
I made this short video for my work in progress thread, but it shows a drive-able vehicle. What I did was I modified Smallg's vehicle gunner script a bit and added the sounds from Devcore35's Drive Car Pack v1.1.

Works actually good, except for there is no collision, so you can drive through buildings and stuff. Bummer.

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2017 00:34
Pretty impressive!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2017 16:58 Edited at: 8th Aug 2017 17:04
Yes, very very good initial results!

I particularly like the last few seconds among others 0:29. It appears as if "the driver" in the vehicle has actually turned their head and looked out of the left driver's window. I also love the sense of movement. It's as if the vehicle is on "a suspension system" as it moves over terrain of different elevations. (Some advanced math here discussed in some threads.)

In simpler terms the car dynamics really adds to the "realism" and immersive sense of a vehicle actually driving. I think this is a very good example of what can be accomplished in GG with hard work. I would venture to say, as well this is EXACTLY what Lee had hoped would happen with a 3rd party ability to "hook" into GG engine.

GG is a wonderful "Gaming Canvas": OUT OF THE BOX: "Striving to be as easy as possible...IN TIME AND WITH EFFORT: "As complex as YOU make it."

"SLOAR" Thank you for showing the care demo here...I would love to know more about the process used to create your vehicle/effects.

Perhaps, Lee/ or others could do a Twitch/Youtube video on this subject in the future.
PC SPECS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2700K (PASSMARK:10401.1), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 GPU (PASSMARK:5079.4) , 16GB RAM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2017 21:19
Hi Jerry Tremble and Game_Making.

Thank you, but the credit should go to Smallg and the awesome vehicle gunner script that he made.

All I did was to change the Y and Z positioning of the player in the script. I lowered the Y to about 25-30, and the Z forward to about 20-30. It all depends on the size of the vehicle. Just make sure that the vehicle you use has some interior and no windows, so you can see outside. Then lastly I just added the sounds from Devcore35's Drive Car Pack to the relevant parts of smallg's script.

Also note that there is one problem currently, and that is there is no collision when inside the vehicle. If somebody can get around that problem for us, then we will have fully functional vehicles in GG. That would be truly awesome.
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 8th Aug 2017 22:20
Quote: "note that there is one problem currently, and that is there is no collision when inside the vehicle"

I've done this for horses, cars, subs, airships .. use the raycasting lua commands (RayTerrain and IntersectAll) to check for collision with either terrain or other entities, then either crash, stop, or throw the player off/out (or whatever you want).

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2017 13:55
It might be a while before we see a dedicated vehicle physics update as it's quite low on the voting board, but I plan to do some physics updates, more related to stability and completeness, and LUA command additions that will be worked on in parallel to voting board items.

PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2017 17:38
Just a wild thought ...if EBE objects had a "transparency" option they could be used as "quick" collision zones over other entities. Could they not?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a boat script on the store. Not quite what you are after but works with collisions and such.

A fully drive-able car is more difficult when you want it to have collision and other such necessities such as physics.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 10:19:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 10:19:26