Product Chat / First Impression Game Guru is AWESOME!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys.

I mainly am into App Game Kit 2 development but I spent some time checking out Game Guru last weekend and I just wanted to share my thoughts here because I think they may help people who show up here checking into GG wondering if they should buy it.

First, I didn't expect much. Honestly. I spent 3 years working in Unity and I never could connect with it. I made several games in Unity but I found the Editor to be the most tedious pain in the ass thing to work in. And the architecture & api again over complicated. So I kind of expected Game Guru (which I see is basically a Unity alternative for making both retro and modern 3D games) to be the same.

I was wrong. Game Guru was so refreshing to work with. It is what I expected to find in Unity and did not. The incredible world building tool in Game Guru is not tedious... and in fact it makes building your game worlds actually fun and fast. It is a breath of fresh air. Really great work there.

The overall system just seems very good. Of course, nothing is perfect and neither is Game Guru but I think any person serious about making an awesome 3D game should definitely check it out. Even if you are going after modern AAA style visuals Game Guru has more immediately accessible graphics options you can tweak than I ever saw in Unity.

I want to share a couple of things here. This is something I threw together my first time using Game Guru last weekend. And you really need to keep in mind that I created all of this in about an hour and a half.

Note: the ultra low poly tree in there was just a test I did of creating and importing a model I threw together. Wanted to see how that process worked.

And here is a very tiny test level I threw together last night or night before because I think it is best to focus on a very small "contained" game world for a first attempt.

Well... that's it and honestly I don't know if I am going to do any more with this. Well sure I will. But I really want to get back to my App Game Kit projects. But after trying out Game Guru I just felt I had to make a post about it. I don't know what it was like a year or two ago but the version I tested now is truly very impressive.

I hope this is helpful to someone looking for an easy way to make 3D games like Skyrim or an easy way to make FPS games.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi GarBenjamin and Welcome to the GG forum and thanks for taking the time to post.

Its great to get feedback from an Appgame kit user and a Unity user ... As you say ( and your own demos show ) GG is very easy to use but agreed there is still lots to do but Lee seems to be working 24/7 on features with the latest being the DX11 conversion for the next release...
Custom lua scripting seems to be a huge advantage as well with GG for that more unique experience in creation which as an appgame kit user you may be more familiar with ...Please don't be a stranger .... Pop back once in a while and catch up with what's going on

This may be of great interest to you being able you use GG with appgame kit .
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215236

And of course the Appgamekit GameGuru loader itself
http://store.steampowered.com/app/623270/AppGameKit__GameGuru_Loader/
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GarBenjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey @synchromesh I will be sure to check back from time to time and I am sure I will also continue to play around with GG. I would love to just jump right into it but am still getting into AGK2 as well. lol

I spent a long time looking for game dev tools like these. I honestly wish they would have used a different name because I had seen mention of App Game Kit a couple of years or more ago and I immediately thought it was only for making mobile apps which is something I have no interest in. Also the "kit" part made me thing it was an entirely GUI based drag and drop game maker which I also had no interest in.

When I finally checked it out at the very end of last year I was very happily surprised it is completely different than what the name implies.

I actually already have the Game Guru Loader for AGK and that is why I was testing Game Guru... for level building. And it seemed so promising I ended up just continuing on with it and then considering just using it for a time. lol
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 05:33
Just wanted to say welcome!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 09:13
Welcome to the Realm of Madness!

No, seriously, nice to have an AGK / Unity user now on board here.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 10:52
Welcome GarBenjamin
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 10:58
Hi all

Welcome along GarBenjamin!! Well that was a refreshing post.

It makes you wonder how those who bag Game Guru would fair if they tried other engines like Unity.

Quote: "Welcome to the realm of Madness!"

Indeed we are so crazy we take real time existance, and use it to simulate an envirnoment that is the product of our imagination!

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 14:09 Edited at: 25th Jul 2017 14:09
What a great write-up and review. If you would like to share those thoughts on Steam as a review as well, that will certainly help GameGuru survive in this cut throat world of software development You will get a nice shiny forum badge too if you like. Sorry the updates have slowed recently, porting a graphics engine is not something we do often, but you can check out the progress from this link: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218038
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It makes you wonder how those who bag Game Guru would fair if they tried other engines like Unity."

I think they would certainly re-think how easy Game Guru is to use overall. Especially when it comes to making an actual playable game of any sort. I have Unity on my system, have done for a month or so, but still haven't got round to using it yet. I haven't used Unity for years so it may well be way different.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2017 23:59
I just watched those vids and its actually refreshing to see someone used to AGK and another engine to put something pretty decent together in such a short time scale. Kinda prompts myself into thinking maybe i just try too hard to get something abit to complicated and sorta lose track along the way. Nice vids m8 and yes i do agree as im sure alot of us will GG does compare with the top engines in alot of ways especially when it comes to putting things together cleanly and quickly in a nice easy way. Lee works his nads off on this and it shows, i wouldnt change my chioce of engine as i find it easy to work with and it will get better just watch this space
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2017 21:59
Hi Game Guru people!

As a relatively new user, I have to totally agree: Game Guru is super awesome!

There just is no other engine out there that is so easy and user friendly as Game Guru. What would take months to do in other engines takes me a couple of days with Game Guru.

Also I would like to add that Game Guru can render awesomely beautiful scenery, comparable to most of the so-called "top-tier" engines out there.

Regarding the framerate on lower spec machines: by spending some time with optimization of your levels and playing around with the visual settings, one can get a fairly decent framerate going. Not to mention the advances that DX11 will bring!

I believe that Game Guru can become a great engine in the near future. Thank you Lee and all the Game Guru people!

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:39:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:39:44