Product Chat / Can two people develop the same game on different systems?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking to develop a game with a buddy of mine, but will only commit to Game-Guru if we can edit the game together from different machines. Is this possible?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2017 18:36 Edited at: 12th Jul 2017 18:37
To be honest No ... You would have to share the map file ... And both own GameGuru.
The only way to develop as a team would be one to create the level / Game ... Another creating models, Then a dedicated Scripter etc
Each to their own task really ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2017 23:43 Edited at: 12th Jul 2017 23:44
Yeah, just send him a usb stick or sd card with all the custom content you own. Now both of you can swap the map file from one to another.
This thread has also been moved to the proper board.

-Wolf
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2017 01:57
Yes, that's possible, if you use a sophisticated Version Control system, SVN, Perforce or such, and both developers have the license for GG and all assets used.
Still you would have to synch regarding the committs and checkouts in the repository and ensure that NEVER EVER you both are working on the same FPM map.

But, actually, for all assets and scripts and working on different levels at the same time, it would be absolutely doable.

Here a very basic and simplified Introduction to Version Control.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Jul 2017 11:40 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:54
Yeah, Ertlov is right. You could setup a private repo with Github or Bitbucket that will give you the ability to share the same version build.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
what about a world where we could edit in real time with other people using the f9 mode combined with multiplayer mode?
sounds terrible to me but i'm sure some people would enjoy it, like minecraft but not.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2017 20:06 Edited at: 18th Jul 2017 00:38
This is probably unrelated.. but during breaks at work... I use Teamviewer to work on Game Guru from my work computer connected to my home computer.

More relative to the topic, I suggest having one person work on assets, scripts, audio and the other work on the actual environmental design. (As synchromesh has suggested). In a typical video game team workflow this would be what is more standard to avoid conflict and read/write issues.

Quote: "what about a world where we could edit in real time with other people using the f9 mode combined with multiplayer mode?
sounds terrible to me but i'm sure some people would enjoy it, like minecraft but not."

I could be wrong, but I believe this is what Rick V wanted with Game Guru. It be an interesting addition to the multiplayer experience.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 09:37 Edited at: 14th Jul 2017 09:42
Quote: "I suggest having one person work on assets, scripts, audio and the other work on the actual environmental design. In a typical video game team workflow this would be what is more standard to avoid conflict and read/write issues."

That's exactly what I said as its the only real way to do it sensibly... He also said they wanted to edit the game together from 2 machines which is not possible and because the original post was in Multiplayer I was guessing they were also referring to a Multiplayer Game which of course a standalone is also not possible ... Then they both need to own GG and both need to own any third party store models or DLC packs... But unless Bootastic responds and is more specific I'm sticking with the ....No ... Not suitable for his needs ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Become housemates.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:41:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:41:24