Easy Building Editor / Snap together EBE structures and "cutaway" view

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I think EBE was a great addition to Game Guru and I still have to learn how to use it at its full potential.

Yet, I found two small "weakspots" of EBE which in my opinion could be addressed to improve the experience:

- If you want to snap together two structures (i.e. to make a large indoor level) it is very difficult to properly align them in any axis. It takes a long time and quite often it is not a perfect match.

- Is there a way to remove the roof of a EBE structure to easily place objects and items inside? Having to remove the roof every time is somehow weird. I'm thinking of something like FPS Creator, where you could see the interior of the structures you're working on and then move up one level to independently place the roof.

Do functionalities like these already exist in GG? As I said I don't have much experience with the EBE and I haven't found out all the features!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 19:53 Edited at: 5th Jul 2017 19:55
Hit "Tab" to clip the roof off with any model and you can use "CTRL" + Mouse scroll to raise and lower this. Hit Tab again to go back to normal.
2 models created by the EBE don't sit to well with the default snap mode because of their size, Shape or layout but to be honest I have never had a problem lining up if I specifically create them for that purpose.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hit "Tab" to clip the roof off with any model and you can use "CTRL" + Mouse scroll to raise and lower this. Hit Tab again to go back to normal. "

This is great! Thanks!

Quote: "2 models created by the EBE don't sit to well with the default snap mode because of their size, Shape or layout but to be honest I have never had a problem lining up if I specifically create them for that purpose."

I find this problematic because the size of EBE structures is quite limited if I try to create large indoor areas.

I think it would be easily solved if the placement-mode for entities (the one you can switch with the "B" key) also worked for the EBE... at that point they would just act as large LEGO bricks!
PM
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 03:24
Thank you for the easy builder editor, feel like I have my old segments back!
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 08:02
Quote: "2 models created by the EBE don't sit to well with the default snap mode because of their size, Shape or layout but to be honest I have never had a problem lining up if I specifically create them for that purpose."

This has baffled me because Lee has designed them to work on a 20x20 system where 1x1 is 5x5 editor units, meaning it's working on the same 100x100 grid system as the base editor, so theoretically;

1) all EBE models should snap on the grid
2) any model made to work on a 100x100 grid should snap to the ebe structure.

However, it doesn't for some reason. The only thing i can think of is the way the pivot points/Origins work.

I've noticed that when creating models for grid snapping you have to either offset your origin or stick to odd or even numbers.

For example if you make a 100x100 box and a 200x200 box with the origin in the centre then when you place them they will be 50 units off of each other, however if you create a 300x300 box that box will snap perfectly with the 100x100 box, likewise a 400x400 box ill snap perfectly with the 200x200 and so on.

Now if you create the same four boxes and placed the origin at the corner of the box, then all four boxes will now snap together, creating the models this way will give you a bigger range of sizes, however because the origin is offset it can make placement fiddly because your placement origin will be too close to the model it's being snapped to and it will bounce about trying to decided whether to stack or align.

Maybe this is part of the issue with ebe structures not snapping, maybe the grid alignment is offset and the origin of the individual pieces is centered causing a conflict when you try to put two different projects together.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 08:49 Edited at: 28th Jul 2017 08:49
Quote: "all EBE models should snap on the grid"

Depends how you create it ...
If its an offset model then the centre is out and if you try to rotate you will see that it wont snap ... Dead centre rotation seems to be the key here.
You can get it to almost snap perfectly but I find you still need to tweak a little ..

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 08:57 Edited at: 28th Jul 2017 09:02
Yup the key to it seems to be to stick to 20x20 steps when making adjoining sections.

But even then it can be tricky. Take a wall piece for example, because they are 5 wide and the rotation is in the center of the piece and not the middle of the grid, when you place them they will be perfect on the grid on one side, but if you want them on the other side of the grid the rotation offset means they have to be placed on the adjacent square, so if you don't mirror that exactly with the second ebe structure you will get a 5 unit offset. It's a matter of thinking through where you are putting your walls and mirroring them to match.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally figured out how to properly use the grid lock ("B" key).

I still don't know what I got wrong when I started this thread, in fact, it works pretty well!

Thanks again for your hints!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:09:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:09:10