Feature Creep / Us none coders need something like this Lee...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2017 22:14 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2017 22:28

This would be the end all solution to custom characters for none coders. It was my favorite aspect of Realm Crafter. Import a custom rigged model and set animation frames in the editor and generate that characters script. Im sure you could code this or heck even some code master here in the forums could make a simple editor. This is what we discussed a while back Lee. Im not sure if I ever sent you the actual editor picture. These features could be added to the current character creator. You would just have to add a rigged character import option with frame animation control and of course a script gen option.
"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
JonRobbo
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2017 15:34
I agree, the character creator is OK but it only seems to cater for modern weapon characters, I haven't a clue how to make a character with a sword or bow.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2017 20:45
that looks interesting... but also looks like a few months of work
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but also looks like a few months of work"

Yes, this are some months of work and brake the work on the engine again unnecessary. Please not!
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2017 21:51 Edited at: 4th Jul 2017 22:17
Its only unnecessary for coders and people who are fine with using stock media. To make a decent game which doesnt look like a clone of every other Game Guru users, you need custom media. Instead of making more and more DLCs the devs need to be adding actual engine features. Features that give the users the power to create a custom game which will stand out among the rest. Custom rigged characters is a key part to a custom game. The question you have to ask yourself is, do you want people to say man thats a nice game or do you want people to say, "Oh look, another Game Guru instant game that my kid could of made in a week. Thats what your going to hear when you use stock media.

An anyone game engine needs

Custom media import with animation frame control
Particle system
Quest System
Inventory System
Armor and Weapons system
Video Sequencing
Menu Maker
Default standard AI scripts: Attack, Neutral, Neutral Flee In Terror, Ally, Conversation, Attack AI, Attack Ally
Some default media for none modelers/ animators
"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
how is it different to having a correctly set up .fpe file though?
sure this might be easier or more friendly i guess but if all you do is assign the animation frames for each animation then it seems the same as assigning them in the fpe? if you're at the point where you have a character working in GG then assigning a script is the easy part, especially as the AI currently uses like 4 animations in total?

or do you create a script based on the animations you give? the more animations the more advanced the script? now that would be a good feature
i.e. if you don't assign a run animation then the character can only walk, if no attack then he is only friendly or neutral, no hide behind cover animation so he can't use cover zones etc.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 04:45 Edited at: 5th Jul 2017 04:46
You create a script based on the animations you give. Also Ive tried using the new system to no avail. Its sucked before, but at least I could get it to work. For a none coder the way it is now is to confusing. Im an artist not a coder. Thats the reason I bought into Reloaded. Well that and my favorite engine Realm Crafter went by way of the dodo, dodo.
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
JonRobbo
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 10:06
The problems I have with the character creator is that unless you are making a modern shooter you are screwed if you can't code and can't create your own characters outside of game guru, no provision to have the character have any other weapon than a gun. I'm new to it but i have read through a lot of threads on here and have noticed AI and characters are it's achilies heel unless you are a good coder and modeller, it is advertised as easy game maker but when the less talented ask for functions to help keep it easy the ones that are adept cry them down.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the character creator is unfinished and should be considered a place holder til a later date.
I think most of us would have liked to see it be done better with more access to the part creation for modellers and texture artists and more access for the scripts for us coders.
Right now it is more like a handful of options of looks and 1 script for all.
However you can still create a game without ever touching the character creator and I would rather we see the engine get more core features compared to it.

For a start the AI system should be finished and working before trying to add more characters to it, still don't understand how we got 1 week of work on a core feature and left with a mess which is almost worse than it started :p
Though I know Lee does great for 1 person and as with everything I have faith he'll do the best he can.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 15:23 Edited at: 5th Jul 2017 15:25
Quote: "I think the character creator GameGuru is unfinished and should be considered a place holder til a later date."

FIXED!

Haha, just kidding. But to be serious, a lot of the earlier features added to GameGuru feel this way too, i've said it before, it feels like at the beginning there was a huge rush just to get certain popular features into gameguru in a "well it works" state to keep people happy, and then nothing was done to improve them.

Quote: "Though I know Lee does great for 1 person and as with everything I have faith he'll do the best he can."

Absolutely agree, Lee is doing a great job for one person, the problem is the task he has ahead of him simply isn't a one man job, he needs more support.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 18:09 Edited at: 5th Jul 2017 18:11
I agree, They def need to hire more coders and each coder needs a task. At least one more for sure.
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 19:15 Edited at: 5th Jul 2017 19:16
Well I did offer my services, for free, several times but wasn't taken up on the offers.

... but I did get a badge!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
JonRobbo
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 19:52
Quote: "I think the character creator is unfinished and should be considered a place holder til a later date."

I hope so.

Today I played Wolf's Redaction game and Bugsy's Wetwork game, what struck me was that I was fighting the same people in both, different skins but the weapons held exactly the same and the movements and behaviour exactly the same, there were a couple of different ones in Bugsy's like the police and the unarmed guy I assassinated but essentially the same.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 20:13 Edited at: 5th Jul 2017 20:20
To be fair the Character Creator was always the first Draft and would be expanded via the voting board when it got the votes.
The " Improved Character Creator " is currently No 4 on the voting list
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well I did offer my services, for free, several times but wasn't taken up on the offers."

Why you not just do it Take this idea and make it to yours and create the program. I know a lot of people think GG should be a all in one tool, but I would not care if I use another program for character creation.

Please do it
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 22:43
My offer wasn't related to the character creator, it's not really my area of expertise. Anyhow even if it was unless you have some way of importing the resulting models into GG it would be a rather pointless endeavour!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "My offer wasn't related to the character creator"

You are however a master Scripter ... Surly you could create some character scripts or something we could all use that could be put in the core ?
We could always use those
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya, I don't get that at all. Why wouldn't Lee jump on that offer. We all know Moses can script and code.
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2017 13:29 Edited at: 7th Jul 2017 13:30
Quote: "Why wouldn't Lee jump on that offer"

We dont know what his offer was, so it is hard to judge why Lee didnt jump on this offer. If it was to code some scripts, he could do it anyways without Lee and if he need some commands, he could prove with his scripts in the forum why they are necessary and animate Lee to implement them.

Quote: "My offer wasn't related to the character creator, it's not really my area of expertise."

Damn
Thread and Download
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:01:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:01:48