3rd Party Models/Media Chat / How do you keep your files neat?

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 29th Jun 2017 10:57 Edited at: 29th Jun 2017 10:59
I'm obsessed with keeping all of my 3D Modelling files neat and ordered, it's part of my OCPD, but a good part, because I can usually find everything I need without having to look too hard. For example here is what the folder I keep door textures in looks like:

All nice and neatly named, with left handed, right handed, and frame textures, easy to find, note the file structure - 3D Modelling > - Textures > Doors & Windows > Doors ? All of my texture folders are like that, everything has a place, and i'm strict about keeping it like that

What quirks do you guys have for keeping everything within easy reach while modelling?

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2017 14:40
I openly admit my computer is a complete mess file wise.i wish a had started of doing what you are doing now .mayber I will start after my next clean install of windows.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2017 04:01 Edited at: 30th Jun 2017 04:08
I guess I'm somewhere in between you two.

I can be super OCD with game file/final file naming...
"PackGroup/Model Name_Mesh/UV ID_Texture Set ID_Shader ID"
Some people find my naming conventions confusing but they do the job I require of them.

But my local file directories are less specific (mostly because I pack stuff into .PSDs.)...

Meanwhile, my working file directories are a mess...

And my weapon work directories can be a mixed bag.
I try to keep a weapon's root directory relatively clean with the export-ready maxfiles, final PSD comps and scene maps...
(I have NO idea why I marked the world and VWEAP models with "PA"... Sometimes I have odd typos that get propagated as the hours wear on and my vision gets blurry... For all I know, it may have been an meaningful abbreviation at the time)

In my "Work" sub-directories, I keep my max files basically as a logbook. I can go back to whatever stage if I need to grab some random boolean object from an earlier stage or whatever. The more tightly packed the file versions are indicate how uncertain I am of something breaking or not...

And just to add some comfortable mess, I also have random reference pics, various texture bakes and UV guides, various skinning envelopes, raw PSDs, random orphan PSDs for shader compositing, layer merging, etc. stashed in there...

I generally know what/where everything is in the short term but if I return to a project after a long delay, I can need a bit to get reorientated.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2017 04:43
My desktop has a folder called workbench where whatever is currently on the chopping block is located.

My Models are in folders that are ordered alphabetically. Every generation of models gets a banner name which is usually a mineral (Aquamarine, Pyrithe etc.) or a womans name (Alissa, Lyliette,Seraphina). If a collection of models makes it into a commercial pack, I will add an extra folder where a copy of these models will be kept as well. There are also a few folders including game specific stuff which are then named after the games title (Acythian, Shavra, Children of Dagon)

My textures are in the gamedesign & resources subfolder of my picture collection. These are ordered by year and then also divided into subfolders. While I'm usually finding everything I am looking for, they are far less ordered than Belidos or EAI collection.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:36:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:36:01