Sorry: I translate this text with Google Translation! I do not speak English and I am sorry if some phrases are badly translated ...
I have an idea to propose to TheGameCreators and Lee Bamber regarding the publisher of GameGuru.
Indeed currently the size of the maps is big enough to make good level, but despite the future passage under DX11 and the improvement of memory as soon as one fills the whole card one quickly loses FPS.
For the infini terrain that you propose I still have an idea; Stream-maps (Level Streaming).
For those who already use CryEngine or UnrealEngine you probably know the principle.
It is simple :
We have an infinite map but in reality, in the engine, the maps are cut out and loaded only when the player approaches it. And when the player moves away from a map the old disappears, thus emptying the memory of the computer and the motor (that is why, for example, the game Grand Theft Auto V does not slow down FPS!).
For this there would be a fairly simple technique:
1 - A game designer wants a map of 30 miles (example).
2 - Once the maps designed it compiles its game
3 - GameGuru splits into 30 parts the maps (1 miles X 30)
4 - Once in the game the maps "1" is loaded (the distant mist can mask the void around)
5 - GameGuru carved the maps in the style of a giant chessboard.
1 - The player moves closer to the maps "2". The maps "1" and
the maps "2" are loaded at the same time!
2 - Once the player is really in the maps "2", the maps "1" are deleted (physics and entities). Only maps "2" are now displayed.
3 - And so on!
(Example of picture operation attached).
- Free memory depending on the location of the player.
- Increase FPS (50% in general)
- To create infinite cards (truly infinite, even if the more you put 3D objects more it costs in disk space ...)
Possible problems for this kind of Level Streaming on GameGuru:
- LOD of 3D objects must be calculated in real time
- Dynamic objects (enemies, allied characters, scripts, music) must be reloaded perfectly every time maps are changed (even if this change is invisible in play, so without loading time, a simple generation bug and Game is unplayable)
- The developer of the game will have to be able to use several different herbs (the multiple textures of the grounds being already solved).
Despite these 2 or 3 technical problems it is quite simple to create a Level Streaming under GameeGuru when the infinite cards will be available ^^
Of course GameGuru will only have to compile the parts of the maps where there are entities or herbs, so GameGuru does not have to compile or generate the blank parts of the infinite maps.
This is my idea that I propose ^^
Do not hesitate to say what you think
AlgoStep Company - Software development and 3D video games since 2006
If it's in the game, it's in the game !