Feature Creep / Level Streaming Idea (infini maps)

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 11:37
Hello,

Sorry: I translate this text with Google Translation! I do not speak English and I am sorry if some phrases are badly translated ...

I have an idea to propose to TheGameCreators and Lee Bamber regarding the publisher of GameGuru.
Indeed currently the size of the maps is big enough to make good level, but despite the future passage under DX11 and the improvement of memory as soon as one fills the whole card one quickly loses FPS.

For the infini terrain that you propose I still have an idea; Stream-maps (Level Streaming).
For those who already use CryEngine or UnrealEngine you probably know the principle.

It is simple :
We have an infinite map but in reality, in the engine, the maps are cut out and loaded only when the player approaches it. And when the player moves away from a map the old disappears, thus emptying the memory of the computer and the motor (that is why, for example, the game Grand Theft Auto V does not slow down FPS!).

For this there would be a fairly simple technique:

1 - A game designer wants a map of 30 miles (example).
2 - Once the maps designed it compiles its game
3 - GameGuru splits into 30 parts the maps (1 miles X 30)
4 - Once in the game the maps "1" is loaded (the distant mist can mask the void around)
5 - GameGuru carved the maps in the style of a giant chessboard.

Operation:

1 - The player moves closer to the maps "2". The maps "1" and the maps "2" are loaded at the same time!
2 - Once the player is really in the maps "2", the maps "1" are deleted (physics and entities). Only maps "2" are now displayed.
3 - And so on!

(Example of picture operation attached).

This allows:

- Free memory depending on the location of the player.
- Increase FPS (50% in general)
- To create infinite cards (truly infinite, even if the more you put 3D objects more it costs in disk space ...)

Possible problems for this kind of Level Streaming on GameGuru:

- LOD of 3D objects must be calculated in real time
- Dynamic objects (enemies, allied characters, scripts, music) must be reloaded perfectly every time maps are changed (even if this change is invisible in play, so without loading time, a simple generation bug and Game is unplayable)
- The developer of the game will have to be able to use several different herbs (the multiple textures of the grounds being already solved).

Despite these 2 or 3 technical problems it is quite simple to create a Level Streaming under GameeGuru when the infinite cards will be available ^^

Of course GameGuru will only have to compile the parts of the maps where there are entities or herbs, so GameGuru does not have to compile or generate the blank parts of the infinite maps.

This is my idea that I propose ^^
Do not hesitate to say what you think

Bye!
AlgoStep Company - Software development and 3D video games since 2006
-----------
If it's in the game, it's in the game !

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 17:13
Put it on the voting board (if it isn't there already.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 17:42
I think Lee already has some ideas along this road he mentioned it in a conversation on the forums. If i remember correctly he said it wouldn't be that hard to implement so you never know what the boss might slip in
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think Lee already has some ideas along this road he mentioned it in a conversation on the forums. If i remember correctly he said it wouldn't be that hard to implement so you never know what the boss might slip in "

That's right I remember that he was thinking something along these lines ... But cannot find the thread ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 22:25
I think it was in one of the streams that he talked about it if I'm remembering right.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2017 23:40 Edited at: 24th Jun 2017 23:41
Found it !!
This was what Lee had in mind ..

Quote: "Lee Bamber : Once we have DX11 out the way, and a few more voting board items, I could add something to the board which would provide near infinite worlds called zone swapping. Essentially as you get close to the edge of the world, it streams in another section of the world so you never meet the edge. From the editor, you could edit these zones much like you do now but able to scroll between them to create seamless transitions in any direction. The terrain and entities would be stored in batches representing sub-zones and streamed via a second core in when the player gets close to them, allowing for seemingly endless worlds, limited only by the hard drive availability and your patience in creating such a vast map."
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Devcore35
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2017 11:33
Hello,

Ah! I had not seen this information
Thank you !
It's a great idea I'm glad that Lee Bamber has already thought about this
AlgoStep Company - Software development and 3D video games since 2006
-----------