3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Need a tester for my Time of day and Weather system.

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 03:45
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/217420

See the above thread for info on this upcoming product.
So long story short I got a new job a few months ago and it's pretty much consumed any time I had/have had for GameGuru development.
I took an hour tonight to button up as best as I could my weather system but I need someone who is *PROFICIENT* in code and GameGuru to test this for me to see if it's too difficult, buggy, etc.

I did some cursory testing and it seems to work well enough. But having not worked on it in several months, I cannot be 100% sure.

So I need an extremely competent user, probably even a mod, to test this out and tell me what they think. They can keep the copy for free, with my thanks.

Anyways, hit me up via message. I will then proceed to mail you a zip file as soon as I can and you can test this out. It's not going to be first come first serve either, so just be aware even if you're super fast, I may select someone else on the basis of qualifications.
After that, it'll be put up for purchase, probably at around $10.
Thanks
Mike
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2017 03:46
Bonus points if you can make a tutorial video too
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 02:43
Not..even.. one.

Disappointment doesn't begin to sum up my thoughts on this.
I guess I'll try being less stringent? If you are interested, just say so and maybe a few lines about why and I'll probably just give you a whirl.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 11:05
I wish I could help but I don't have a lot of time at the moment.i spend most of my time posting on my phone.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2017 04:06
Hm.

Well, ok then.
No takers, I'll try to package it up and get it to the tgcstore sometime in the next week.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2017 17:41
I could give it a try if you like I have some scripts in the store "the survival script set" I'm OK in Lua but anything too heavy and i'm hopeless.

A day and night system seems like a very ambituous idea, but if done well, would be awesome.

Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2017 20:05
Quote: "So I need an extremely competent user, probably even a mod, to test this out and tell me what they think. They can keep the copy for free, with my thanks."

I think you might have frightened a lot of people away .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 11:37
to make a good night and day system we really do need a skybox transition system that allows a gradual fade of maybe four or more skyboxes,
for example clear, to sunset to dark to sunrise and then back to clear again.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth.
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 16:33 Edited at: 18th Jun 2017 16:37
I could try out whatever you have, but my coding skills are terrible ( as in, nearly non-existent).

As far as coding goes, I know enough to change 1 or 2 numbers in a script to slightly change some things, but that's about it. I lean more toward being artistic rather than the programming side of things.

- By the way, I thought your videos on time of day and weather looked really good.
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2017 02:50
It's ok guys. It's posted.
I've commented the living heck out of the product.
It works out of the box and is very simple to use, but offers itself as a function library for more advanced users.
So in a basic sense a few variable changes and you are on your way.
In a more complex sense, you could potentially use my core functions and write your OWN time of day and/or weather system.
All of that is within bounds. I tested it as extensively as I could but my job is pretty busy these days so ... it is what it is. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Process for new basic users:
Make a level.
Finish your level as best you can. You want to add my time of day system last because of how difficult it is to place trigger zones and moving them after the fact.
At this point place your player marker.
Add the decals for rainbox/snowbox/etc if you are using weather (it's detailed in algosteps thread). Drag them so they are SQUARELY on top of the player marker.
Now place your zone-wide trigger zone and use bag_weatherfunc.lua - the script requires you be in the zone to function.
Where applicable, make new zones for buildings and use the bag_w_indoor.lua for a new trigger box to stop weather indoors.

You can also initiate weather directly using startrain/startdust/startsnow.lua and a (you guessed it!) trigger box.

Now after you save your level go out of the application and open the lua file.
There are several variables to modify:
TODcycledelay - the delay BETWEEN cycles. there are about 12 total, or 2 hour increments; they are detailed in the file. 3000ms default.
TODcycletime - the delay between each individual frame of the cycle - 30ms default. There are 100 total. So ... 3000ms total. Modify this larger to make the cycle last longer and give a more realistic transition.

That's basically it. There's a lot, lot more obviously, but this is the long and short of making a simple weather/time of day system.
Alas, the other features I want will have to wait until v2, probably next year.

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2017 05:21 Edited at: 6th Jul 2017 05:30
So I had to resubmit but i had to dedicate a few hours which are hard to find before I could put it up.
Usage is very simple now. The example map I had to create for this really worked out well and showcases a lot of what this thing is capable of. It's ...pretty cool and I'm actually pretty proud of what I've pulled off. I even managed to package the assets for the rain/snow/dust boxes so weather can actually be included with it.

Now all that's needed is the store to verify it, test it and we're golden. *crosses fingers*

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2017 16:35 Edited at: 6th Jul 2017 16:36
Tarkus if you're not familiar what I"ve done is used the fog system to mask over the skybox and give a similar progress as if there's multiple skyboxes.

It works on almost any skybox and is very effective.
Video here:

Obviously there are limitations:
1) I can't change the skybox. The closest thing is rolfy's sky dome.
2) I also can't change the sun position. That's up to Lee but at this point my system is flexible enough to fudge it better than any other comparable product or offering you will find for game guru, hands down.

This is an enormously powerful system if you are willing to use it to it's potential.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:13:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:13:59