Off Topic / Publishing on Steam

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 16:24 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2017 00:50
Hi Everyone, I've been gone a while. There is some good news today. Not good news for others. As many of you are aware, Steam was intending to scrap Steam Greenlight and create Steam Direct with a possible charge of close to $1000 US for submissions. That price has dropped now to $100.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1265921510652460726

I personally think this will help filter out some poor content from their store and encourage developers to take things a little more serious. I think its a good investment price point myself, even if it were as high as $300. Will also help prevent some scams and dishonest games from appearing on the marketplace.

Thoughts?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 18:10
$100 ,I thought it would be at least $300. Not sure if $100 a good or bad thing,we will see.interesting read though ,thanks.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 19:48
Quote: "Will also help prevent scams and dishonest games from appearing on the marketplace. "

I don't think it will. An amount like 100 bucks doesn't stop anyone. I was more in favor of their original intend.
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 21:31
The old Greenlight model was like $100 and then submit as many titles as you want, right? If so, it's a decent step to at least curb an individual developer's motivation to spam titles.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 11:51
$100 US for submissions would be the lowest price, but it doesn't the only one, though.

Anyway the fact that someone can pay 1000+ us, don't garante quality; and the fact that someone can't pay up to $100 us, don't meant bad quality; just less resources perhaps.

Quote: "Another big request came from both Curators and developers, who want an easier way to help Curators get pre-release access to upcoming games. It's often hard for Curators to get the attention of developers who build the specific kinds of games that a Curator covers, and it can be similarly hard for a smaller developer to find the Curators who would be interested. So we're building a system that will make that a painless process for everyone involved, which means that you should see more useful curations coming out of the Curators who like to explore newer titles."

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2017 16:13
3com nailed it. Money does not make a good developer.

I understand, people will come back and say, well, if a developer is serious about their game, then, they would find the money somehow; while this holds some truth, not everyone would have access to $1000+, even through kickstarter. It's not disposable income. On the flip side of that, you could have some little rich kid, that is literally just out to annoy people with shovelware and the $1000 fee is nothing to him, it's pocket change.

The key thing here I think will be in the reviews of the game and the developer involvement. If a game is performing badly, it will be removed from the store / put up for review from a Valve official, to ensure it's not just a crap game up there, for the trading cards.

I for one am happy with the new fee. The fee isn't and wasn't ever going to be the gatekeeper of crap games. Only humans can determine if something is good or not. So, now, it's in the players hands. You better make a good game, or it won't be on Steam for long!

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2017 23:06
As far as I know the 100$ is just one thing.
I think I read somewhere, that Valve will check every submission.
So joke/spam crap games will not enter the store, they will be rejected by a Valve employee.

Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 11:49
Quote: "So joke/spam crap games will not enter the store, they will be rejected by a Valve employee."

Why this was not the case to begin with is beyond me.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 15:24
I think in the beginning (before greenlight) they checked all the games.
But then more and more Devs came and they couldn't handle it alone.
Greenlight was a good idea, but in the end a pure mess... With groups that down vote RPG maker games, groups which don't like VN, groups which don't like GG games... It was (still is) a very toxic place... This is what happen, when u (Valve) don't look after your new "born creature (Greenlight)" and let the creature do what it want.

Now Valve decided to lock away the "Greenlight creature" somewhere in a dark corner of their servers...
I think it's good that Valve take over the control again... Sure, there'll be still new bad games on steam.
But no more stupid joke/spam games I hope.

*yes, there're also up vote groups on Greenlight...

Give the power and total control to a internet community.... And you'll have a total mess after 2-3 years ha ha ha...
Btw. the final approval for Greenlight games was never given out of the hands from Valve... (They're not that stupid)
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 23:32 Edited at: 6th Jun 2017 23:39
From today on, Steam accept no more new greenlight submissions.
The message on my screen also says, that Steam Direct will be available from June 13th.
Bye bye Greenlight

They also wrote, that they will look again at the titles which have not yet passed greenlight.
And will select some more games...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:50:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:50:06