Product Chat / Need basic advise for a new game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 18:30
I would like to make a game that has city buildings,streets,houses,stores,etc.. I want the players to pick a character ie. police officer,drug dealer,store keeper.
Plus, I want the players to be able to build and gather items,money,buy houses,go to jail,etc.

My newbie questions is:

1) Can this be done with GG?
2) Which packages would be the best purchase?
3) Is this going take tons of scripting??

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 19:01 Edited at: 28th May 2017 19:02
Quote: "1) Can this be done with GG?"

I don't have a very clear idea of what you mean by what you just described. I'm assuming a GTA type game?
It can be done with GG but it won't be easy.
Quote: "2) Which packages would be the best purchase?"

I'd say city media from the steam modelpacks and the store. You will need to retexture most things if you wish your city to have a coherent look though.
And most script packs so you have a good base of stuff to source from.

Quote: "3) Is this going take tons of scripting??"

Oh my goodness, yes!
If you wanna do what I think you wanna do, you are looking at a 4 year project kinda deal.
lokithekat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 19:09
OH BOY lol

Now I'm worried. You can PM for more details. Yes, its based on a city life and kind of real life problems.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
is this multiplayer? GG doesn't support that type of multiplayer yet.
it's possible for single player though you're going to need to script for any sort of custom game, this isn't just true for GG
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
lokithekat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 19:52
Just one person. That why I was wondering if they can pick a character to be, or just get stuck with what ever I give them.

Which is ok, but, will the civilians,cops,store owners,etc be able to interact with the main player. EX: if the drug dealer wants to sell stolen items to the pawn shop. He gets money added to his wallet. If the cops catch him, he will get money deducted for fines,etc.

sorry for these dumb questions. Im just new, I'm not worried about spending hours building a game. I just don't want to be 1/2 way done, and then realize I cant do this and that. lol
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
it all sounds possible ... But will require some scripting.
So really its down to just how capable you are or have someone that can script for you
Alternatively there are some available on the store that could be adapted for your needs like the one below

https://www.tgcstore.net/product/24068
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
lokithekat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 20:24
That'll do it. Thank you. Do I need the starter package,,,,,, plus? ________________________________________________________________________

I know I don't need the horror and medieval stuff. lol
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 21:11 Edited at: 28th May 2017 21:14
All of this can be done in theory but you would 1.) Be the first to do so and 2.) You'd look at years of hard and possibly frustrating work.
Not only will you need scripting but you will probably also learn basic modeling and animating which are tough skills to master.
Take my advice: Get started with a simpler game idea to check if its even your cup of tea. If you happen to be displeased with GG, try the other engines as well. Its best to get into a big project like this with some experience under your belt.
Its like driving, you don't just get into a car and cruise through rush hour traffic, you learn the traffic rules first etc.

Quote: " if the drug dealer wants to sell stolen items to the pawn shop. He gets money added to his wallet. If the cops catch him, he will get money deducted for fines,etc."

This is a good example. Here you will need a dynamic script that takes all these variables into account. If you want the characters to interact with the player in any meaningful way you will have to animate them which is an entire job in itself. You'd need to learn quite a lot of external software such as 3Ds max or similar too.

-Wolf
lokithekat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 21:33
I understand Will do. I'll start off slow. I bought the premium pack. I have no ideal where it is. They took the money. Ill keep looking.
PM
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: around
Posted: 29th May 2017 00:06
It's probably not what you want to hear but developing such a game with GG - if it should be playworthy - is the task of years, if not a lifetime.

The RPG maker series (for which I have done a lot of stuff) is much better suited for this type of game. Several people have already developed similar games and sucessfully marketed them, just check the RPG maker games on Steam.
In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
lokithekat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 00:52
I finally got it downloaded and started building very simple stuff. Yes, I can see, my idea is way down the line. You got to start somewhere, right.

My game, I don't think even when completed, will make a very good public game. Mostly just personal friends. Yes, its kind of based off of GTA and RPG combined. It's a personal thing.

I will check the RPG stuff. Im just used to RPG being more for Skyrim and D&D. I didn't think it would work for city type games.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 02:46
Quote: "My game, I don't think even when completed, will make a very good public game. Mostly just personal friends. Yes, its kind of based off of GTA and RPG combined. It's a personal thing. "

Nothing wrong with that! You will still learn a lot if you stick with it, and who knows, maybe it will grow into something beyond that.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
lokithekat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 19:01
I hear ya jerry, maybe it will some day. I still have to get past the basics. Just yesterday, I was a making a short street scene.

I have buildings floating above the street. lol Can't figure out why. Looks good until I test the game.
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 21:48
Don't think in a whole game, just keep working in a level till you get happy with, and you will end with a very playable level.
Then would be time to think in the next level, and so on.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 23:03
I would start with something easier (first) ... a nice DOOM clone would be a good beginning
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 29th May 2017 23:05
My advice: use Game Guru to create the levels and buy GG2AGK2 to convert it to App Game Kit.

Then, program in AGK2 (very basic-like) - you will have to learn programming, but AGK2 is quite easy to learn.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
lokithekat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2017 00:37
Thanks for all advice.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 09:59:54