Off Topic / Vote for Hunted 2 on steam greenlight

Author
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 07:22 Edited at: 27th May 2017 07:24
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933090192&searchtext=hunted+2

Hey guys, this is very important for me.

I know, the game is in it's early shoes but I felt like I had to add it now. Better sooner than later, because steam greenlight is gonna shutdown eventually.

I promise to NOT RUSH the game and give my best to represent the gg community with dignity.

This will be a long project and I would be glad, if you want to support my work.

Kind Regards, Duchenkuke
Modder, Soundtrack Composer and now Game Developer. Well, sort of.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti

Youtube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MStockton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 09:31
Voted and happy to support someone making a public effort, especially somewhere as hostile as Steam. Good luck!
I tried to sign it but all I did was mess up my screen.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 09:34
Thank you I really apreciate it.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti

Youtube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 27th May 2017 13:31
Problems to clear up before you get torn apart on STEAM (they are particularly unkind to early adopters):

Edit the videos so that the Game Guru loader screen is not there or put your own HUNTED loader screen - dead giveaway which engine you used. The public can use that against you.

Edit out the message about no baked lightmaps - ditto

Change the stock sound effects for walking. Great squeaking sound effects for the bed, though. Have the fan spinning make a small amount of noise.

Add outside noises that you can barely hear from inside and get louder when you are outside. With all that forestry, you are bound to hear some animal and insect noises.

The rooms are not dirty enough. Real life is dirty. They are too sterile. They don't need to be a mess. Just not so clean.

Good luck with your game project. I hope it does well.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 13:48
Thank you Mike! Very useful tips and nice ideas. The only thing that is bothering me is the outdoor sound. I know this script ( realsound.lua) but I had my problems with it in the past. I'll see what I can do

Youtube:

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 27th May 2017 14:09 Edited at: 27th May 2017 14:11
Ment is spelt Meant btw

Just a thought though, why are you greenlighting? I thought that once you had one game greenlit you could direct publish, or am I reading that wrong?

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 15:04 Edited at: 27th May 2017 15:04
Greenlighting is like crowdfunding or kickstarter - people pay ahead of time for early buggy releases knowing (but always forgetting) that the final release is coming in the far future.

I will not early release due to what I have personally seen done to game companies I have been involved with either by creating music and sound effects, programming or creating 3D models for. In every case, they were cut down and sales were miserable due to terrible reviews regardless of how good the game was.

People can be very mean.

Mike

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 15:42
People on Steam can be entitled an are usually very ignorant about the work that actually goes into a videogame. There is also a relatively new trend where people judge themselves by their taste in the artwork/craft of others rather than by what they can achieve themselves. "Only the highest quality goods for meeee" Then there is the understandable side: Tons and tons of false promises, rip offs and terrible games being greenlit and gamers being fed up with it.

While there are many games on Steam that are either entirely made up of my 3D work or use a lot of it, I never sold or put something on Steam nor do I intend to. At least not through the abysmal greenlight model. However, the games I did spread on the internet where never perfect but I was always honest about them, thus the feedback I got was usually very positive. Like with cinema, there are gamers out there that know how games are made and can suspend their disbelief to the imperfect nature of indie/middlemarket games and then there are those that grew up with recent AAA releases and can't tone down their pedantism. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, Duchenkuke already has a game on steam...he knows the drill, I'm sure.

-Wolf
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 18:04 Edited at: 27th May 2017 18:05
What I can say is that I am waaay more relaxed when it comes to hate comments. Last year I really struggled with them and It was painful for me at some point. But now I dont even have to delete hate comments and such^^

Putting Hunted 2 on greenlight was not planned. It was a very sudden decision.
For me there is nothing to loose here. When I get greenlit, I will take all the time this game needs. The first Hunted was rushed at some points.
But I supported it and enhanced it and did so many changes. Players who played it on day 1 would almost not recognize it now. I really did everything I could - after the release. Now I sort of know what I can expect. It will be a more smooth release, thats for sure.

Youtube:

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2017 21:10
Follow your heart, it matters not what other people say.most of these people have done nothing so spend there time rubbishing other people's work.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: around
Posted: 27th May 2017 21:57
Quote: "People on Steam can be entitled an are usually very ignorant about the work that actually goes into a videogame. There is also a relatively new trend where people judge themselves by their taste in the artwork/craft of others rather than by what they can achieve themselves. "Only the highest quality goods for meeee" Then there is the understandable side: Tons and tons of false promises, rip offs and terrible games being greenlit and gamers being fed up with it.

While there are many games on Steam that are either entirely made up of my 3D work or use a lot of it, I never sold or put something on Steam nor do I intend to. At least not through the abysmal greenlight model. However, the games I did spread on the internet where never perfect but I was always honest about them, thus the feedback I got was usually very positive. Like with cinema, there are gamers out there that know how games are made and can suspend their disbelief to the imperfect nature of indie/middlemarket games and then there are those that grew up with recent AAA releases and can't tone down their pedantism. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, Duchenkuke already has a game on steam...he knows the drill, I'm sure.

-Wolf"

There is an old Austrian saying: "Man muss kein Meisterkoch sein um zu merken wenn ein Schnitzel angebrannt ist."
which translates to something like "One doesn't need to be a master chef to realize a roast is burnt."

When it comes to amateur games (I mean that, there are many independent developers and a legion of amateurs) I respect any appearant honest effort even if I get served a totally bland lukewarm stew.

But when I get served a twice-refrigerated/microwaved rotten can of dog food , I beome a wizard: subtle and quick to anger. That is why I don't review amateur games anymore.

But I can give the OP the same advice I always give when it comes to creating your own games.
Check your current work with the following easy steps:
- determin which genre your game is
- think of your favorite game of that genre
- ask yourself if your game looks anything like it
- if the answer is yes, you are good to go
- if no, ask yourself if you have done all you could to make your game look as good as the ones you like to play yourself
- if the answer is no, invest more time in developing your game
rince and repeat.

I am only talking about the looks of course, there is not much one can do about the shortcomings of the engine.
In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 14:58
Schnitzel is also schnitzel in english (:
I agree with you storyteller I believe both our points of view are equally true. However, I find it sad that you don't review our local games anymore...you used to have a certain flair to it.

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 23:06
Voted for it
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2017 12:28
Thank you very much

Youtube:

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 10:48
@World Class Multimedia

Quote: "Greenlighting is like crowdfunding or kickstarter - people pay ahead of time for early buggy releases"

No money changes hands, nor are you obligated to buy the end product, in fact, you aren't even notified to say that the game you voted for, has been Greenlit. It is purely a voting system. You click, Yes or No, to tell Steam, whether or not you would like to see it on Steam.

@Duchenkuke, I think a few of the major flaws of your game have already been pointed out, so, I won't cover the same points. I think, if you were to listen to the advice you have received and make a few changes, you could have a decent little game. I am assuming (potentially incorrectly) your game will be rather short? How fast can you speed run your entire game? If it's less than 30 minutes, you will need to think of a way of enticing players to play it again and really put effort into working on the 'replayability factor'. Maybe add some easter eggs or some collectables or even a leaderboard that people can challenge each other with; 'who can complete the game in the fastest time'?

My only critique (aside from what's already been mentioned) would be the female statue. Maybe have a few variants of that. Not just texture changes and with the lighting in your game, the player can only see a silhouette. Ask yourself, why would someone have that many of that exact same statue in their house? Unless they are a sculptor and are somehow, mass producing these to sell?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Jay.

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 12:38
Jay, incorrect. As someone involved with several games on early release, I can safely tell you people spend money and then get to play the game early - before it is ready. Money is definitely spent.

Perhaps you are talking about something else?

Mike

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 16:18 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2017 17:47
Maybe there is a little misunderstanding reagarding games being both in Greenlight and Early Access.

Steam Greenlight was introduced in 2012 and was met with positive reactions from most sides. The problems arose when Steam introduced Early Access shortly afterwards in 2013, because after a while people entered Greenlight with the intention to go directly into Early Access which lowered the bar of how developed the average Greenlight title was.

And while the combined potential of abuse started to give both Greenlight and Early Access a bad name, as a matter of fact, not every game that was in Greenlight became an Early Access game and not every Early Access game had previously entered Greenlight.

Personally I always had the strong opinion, that the combination of both on a single publishing platform is an invitation to scam-developers to go for the fast money grab without any serious risk, so I am more than happy that at least one of them is finally gone.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 16:30
In addition, I only see early access a valid option for giant multiplayer projects. Otherwise its just ... releasing a beta and charging for it.
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 17:28
Quote: "Otherwise its just ... releasing a beta and charging for it."

Nope, it isn't. It's more releasing a pre-alpha and charging for it.

A Beta is feature complete in any definition used in game development. Most Early Access games are NOT. On the contrary, they provide a glimpse of what could be done and promise to add the features with the money earned during EA.
Most of them fail to do so in the end.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 18:03
Lol... there are so many statues because the player is "dreaming" in this sequence. It's a nightmare to be exact. Watch the full Video, you see the outcome there.

And no, this game is not going to be 30 minutes long.. xD

Youtube:

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 19:04
I would be careful with the "dream" sequence.

This has much to often been (ab)used as an excuse to throw everything and the kitchen sink into a level without being accountable for logic, physics etc.

People have already gotten tired of the "dream" staple in films as well as in games so its getting less and less appreciated.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 19:41
Quote: "Nope, it isn't. It's more releasing a pre-alpha and charging for it."

Well...yes! I stand corrected.

-Wolf
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 20:53
Quote: "People have already gotten tired of the "dream" staple in films as well as in games so its getting less and less appreciated."

As soon as they start I start hitting the space bar trying to end them,they drive me mad.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 14:07 Edited at: 7th Jun 2017 09:15
@World Class Media,

Hi,

Yeah................... I'm going to go out on a limb and just outright tell you that you are completely wrong here.

Quote: "Greenlighting is like crowdfunding or kickstarter - people pay ahead of time for early buggy releases"

Greenlight is completely FREE to vote on. The end user doesn't PAY ANYTHING. It's purely a voting system. You say Yes or No and that's it. As I stated in my previous post, no money changes hands. In my time on Steam, I have voted for around 250 games in the Greenlight system. Trust me when I say, I haven't paid anything for any of them. some of the games I voted for have been lit and have even been released. I didn't even get a notification about it. You vote, that's it.

I agree, EA is different to this, but, that isn't what I was saying in my previous post. The conversation was regarding Steam Greenlight, not EA. Those are two completely different things.

That's enough from me, I won't hijack this thread anymore.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2017 04:29
I was referring to early release. I had no idea that greenlighting was something else - I thought they were one and the same. My bad.

Mike

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually EA is better than a kickstarter .... In my experience with Kickstarter you pledge and pay at the end of the 30 day campaign but get "Nothing" until the game is finished .... Quite often it doesn't even exist as its all on trust ...
I waited 2 years for "Elite Dangerous" , Still only have a buggy " Star Citizen" but not the single player game as promised 5 years ago along with "Lucana Passage" which I have seen nothing of since 2013 and a few others that never appeared at all
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 17:20
HUNTED 2 has just been greenlit !!!!!!!!! AWESOME Thanks so much for your help guys !

Youtube:

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 17:54
Well done, congratulations
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 18:54
Thank you !

Youtube:

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 19:11
Herzlichen Glückwunsch

Das schreit nach Freibier!
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 19:22
DANKE haha bei mir gibts höchstens ne kostenfreie Apfelschorle^^

Youtube:

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 19:24
HAHAHA war nur spass.
ich glaube das letzte bier habe ich vor einem jahr getrunken, im urlaub...
bin auch nicht so der biertrinker hahaha vielleicht im nächsten urlaub wieder
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 20:55
Ich habe in meinem Leben EIN MAL ein Bier getrunken ^^ Und das war aus Versehen. Hatte es mit Apfelschorle verwechselt haha Ne, ich bin auch straighter nicht-trinker

Youtube:

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 21:11 Edited at: 14th Jun 2017 21:12
Ich vertrag kein Bier, aber sonst trink ich gern mal einen...vor allem gegen Abend nach dem essen.
Kann Steam zwar nicht leiden, aber trotzdem Glückwunsch!

-Wolf
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 21:22
Danke Oh mann du kannst ja perfekt deutsch! Warum schreibe ich dann immer englisch mit dir ? hahaha

Youtube:

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 21:40
think my eyes have gone funny
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 00:03 Edited at: 15th Jun 2017 00:03
^_^ Ööh, das war bisher noch nie Thema, denk ich mal

@Graphix: Nah, you're good. Its german. I know that in theory I have to enforce an only english policy on the general forums so everyone can follow but the thread has run its course with Hunted2 being greenlit. We where just talking about congratulations and ...drinking. Except that Duchenkuke only drinks Apfelschorle like a Hosenmatz so that went out the window right away ...tschuldige! Das musste jetzt sein.

-Wolf
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 00:06
ha ha ha lol I did not mean any disrespect
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 00:41
aahahaha Nice one wolf that was really funny

Youtube:

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 01:57 Edited at: 15th Jun 2017 01:58
Hosenmatz? HA HA HA never heard that before.
Now you can take all the time you need to finish your game... same me waiting for a bugfix... HA HA

Maybe I will rerelease an old 2003 game from me first, an old Shump
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 08:20
Ich bin ein baum!

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 08:45
lol

Youtube:

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 08:55
Were you an extra in LOTR?
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 13:05
Quote: "We where just talking about congratulations and ...drinking."

I no how the germans love a drink,i was based in osnabruck for three years in the early seventies . Great memories .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 13:29 Edited at: 15th Jun 2017 13:31
Quote: "I no how the germans love a drink,i was based in osnabruck for three years in the early seventies . Great memories .

Dave"

I spent some time at Alanbrooke (Paderborn) on assignment to the RGJ's (I was part of an AWOL Detection Unit, which was interesting because at the time you had to be an officer to arrest an officer so I was temporarily commissioned without actually graduating Sandhurst), and yes, Germans certainly can drink, but not as much as British squaddies can :p

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 13:34
Quote: "I no how the germans love a drink,i was based in osnabruck for three years in the early seventies . Great memories ."

Thinking back it might have been the late seventies,how time flies.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Peri
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good I came to vote but I see its done good luck
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2017 09:24
Yes ^^ Thank you

Youtube:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 10:52:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 10:52:44