Product Chat / GameGuru is running HOT.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
GameGuru is slowly get in to the shape that makes me consider to come back to it and play around with it.
Up until this point I was follow it development and In the past 12 months GameGuru improved a lot on all sides and the current release which brings full camera control, improved AI, improved performance and also the improvements coming from GameGuru Loader for AGK makes me think it might be a good time to get back in to GG and give it an other chance.

But there is a small problem.
When I preview a level in GameGuru, my CPU and my GPU running very hot even on LOW settings. The fans are unusually noisy and I need to quit the preview after 10 minutes because I'm seriously concerned about it might just kill my CPU or GPU or both. I even smelled burnt plastic one time so it is not a joke. I'm running GTA V, Alien Isolation, Subnautica, Fallout 4 and pretty much everything at HIGH settings with no such problem so it must be something with GameGuru and I'm really would like to get this solved.

I opened this topic to ask how many people having problems with heat when running a GG level or game and on what configs so it might help Lee track it down.

My config:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600
Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5
8GB DDR2 667MHz

If there is anything else I can provide or test, please let me know.
Thanks.
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 20:03
It's probably best to do a good cleanup, there might be a lot of dust on the coolers which disrupts the cooling and on the fanblades which cause the unusual noice due to imbalance.
However, high temperatures should not lead to a smell of burning plastic.
When the temp becomes to high there is a safety, either it is clocked back or the pc switches itself of.
I have a feeling that this smell either comes from the PSU or from a component of the mainbord.

This setup is quite old and in my view to outdated to run the newer games or GameGuru decently.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 20:20
Quote: " I even smelled burnt plastic one time so it is not a joke."

If you can smell that you have a problem with your pc,I would take a look inside.something is wrong somewhere.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 20:30 Edited at: 12th May 2017 20:33
If you are having very high FPS along with this problem, try running with vsync enabled (vsync=1) in setup.ini

This will cap FPS at 60. (would be cool if we could cap at 60, 90 or 120)

I've had a similar issue If I run with vsync disabled... The engine will throttle the GPU trying to get as many frames as possible when unnecessary and capping the FPS takes the extra load off.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 20:38 Edited at: 12th May 2017 20:52
Thanks for the replies.
At high settings I get only 20-40 FPS on LOW settings I get stable 60 FPS and the noise.
Also tried vsync=1

I realize my config is old but as I have mentioned I have no heat or noise problem with other titles and I get this problem with GG even if I set everything to LOW while other titles runs fine at HIGH settings.
It may require a good clean but that's definitely not the problem here as I don't experience this problem with other games and engines.
Unreal Engine, Cry Engine, Unity, S2Engine and most games runs fine maybe not decently but playable without any heat or noise problem...
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 21:06
I have played with Cry Engine a few years back, at the start i did had an emty area on which i could create.
With GameGuru that is not the case, there is already a flat or random level which we can paint and on which we can place the entities, also the shaders are active.
What you could try is to lower Bloom and SAO, sunflare and shadows.

I've opened a thread a few month's back about performance and placed a link to a litle monitor program for your hardware.
You can find it here.
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2017 02:08
Quote: "It may require a good clean but that's definitely not the problem here as I don't experience this problem with other games and engines."

Seriously! I am sorry but we can not take you seriously.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2017 09:07 Edited at: 13th May 2017 09:14
Quote: "Seriously! I am sorry but we can not take you seriously."

Tell me one thing, if it caused by the dust or some sort of malfunction in my PC hardware or software why am I having this problem only with GG?
I know, I'm a troll, I'm an amateur probably I should reduce the rendering distance to 0 to have 2 draw calls only or the best if I upgrade to a Core i7 config it would definitely solve my problem.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2017 12:25 Edited at: 13th May 2017 12:27
The hope of every game engine is to make the CPU and GPU run as fast as they can, and this concurrency of speed allows you to have faster frame rates in your game. I will be the first to admit that I could use my CPU and GPU cycles better, and spending a few years on optimizations would certainly yield returns more indicative of the AAA titles you mentioned, but even those would strive to use the full power of your GPU.

The purpose of the motherboard and peripheral hardware is to run safety at the highest possible speed, and driver settings exist to ensure throttling is reduced when temperatures go beyond the safety point. I'm not 100% sure but the Ti versions were slightly overclocked to produce marginally better performance, but this should not account for overheating as the overclock is modest. I am guessing you have not modified the rig to be overclocked beyond the manufacturer's default limits, so the best guess I can make is that your noisy fan is the rest of fluff and other air-born particles clogging the fan(s). My recommendation would be to 'carefully' clean with an anti-static solution the main parts of the inside of your PC, including GPU and case fans, then get some software which can report the temperature of your main components, and determine your safety temperatures. At the same time, you can get free software to report the utilization of CPU and GPU across your system, and run this side by side with your AAA games and GameGuru so you can make a side by side comparison. If you have time, perhaps you can create a small hand-held video showing starting GTA V running on HIGH, then put the camera near the fan, and then launching GameGuru and likewise move the camera microphone near the fan so I can hear the difference.

Also as some calming information, a noisy fan is not a sign of trouble, it's actually doing the job it was designed to do. Dust can make it noisier but hearing it is actually a good sign when running your GPU at maximum. I prefer to use silent fans whenever possible, as they have the ability to run at max RPM without producing a noticeable sound outside of the case. Hopefully some of the above were of use.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
this happened to me before every time i opened GG (and yes only in GG) and it's not normal, GG does try to run at full speed but it shouldn't overheat your system unless the system has an error. remove and update your drivers and check for any boost software you might be using as the first step... the good news is it is fixable and GG runs perfectly normal once you fix it

lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:04:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:04:52