Product Chat / Chances to create abstract FPS-games with minimal / graphically stylized / flat textures?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 01:33 Edited at: 12th May 2017 01:49
Hi all /.-)

Here's probably a dumb question. Analyzing many reads here on this fantastic forum I have a fairly good overview of the possibilities of GG. Unfortunately I am still in the dark regarding the exact rendering and shading capabilites. It was just today with that amazing "optimization"-post by Wolf that I realized that GG is actually DirectX9-driven! ... Good thing my instincts told me to keep that old FPS X10-box safe in my treasure-vaults... /.-) I knew it would be good for something.

So, here it is: What are the chances to produce a "graphically minimsed yet super-stylized" game like one of those great titles here:

Superhot
Gorescript

Graphically:
Is this a question of the shader or just a dedicated texturing-method?

My guess is that we can't have matrix-style slow-motion-efects as of yet, but the rendering shouldn't be too difficult, or is it?

Thanx in advance!
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 4 x CORES / FPUs @3900 MHz - NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti [2 GB] passive cooled - 8GB DDR 3 SDRAM - Win 10 Pro [64 Bit] - Audiosystem: Marian Marc Seraph AD2 - 2 x UAD-2 DSPs

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 01:53 Edited at: 12th May 2017 01:55
Glad you liked my tutorial

This is just art style. You shouldn't have much trouble getting something abstract to look good in Game Guru, its probably even easier than a conventional look.

Have a look at what dimoxiland does.

Quote: "It was just today with that amazing "optimization"-post by Wolf that I realized that GG is actually DirectX9-driven! ... Good thing my instincts told me to keep that old FPS X10-box safe in my treasure-vaults... /.-) I knew it would be good for something."

I don't understand what exactly you plan to do here?

Quote: "My guess is that we can't have matrix-style slow-motion-efects as of yet"

I wouldn't know how to go about it but its theoretically possible. FEAR, Stranglehold, Max Payne are bullet time games from the top of my head that run on X9 or X8.

-Wolf
Mrs Baird
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 17:50 Edited at: 12th May 2017 17:52
Thanx for the quick reply!

Quote: "I don't understand what exactly you plan to do here?"

Well, I still miss the very slick Sci Fi objects / walls etc. - but I have an unfinished level there and it was running on a crappy GeForce 4 MX, also runs on my i5 graphic tablet-PC (X201t) with a shitty Intel HD onboard-GPU. Below are some screens I did back then...

http://paraphernalic.tumblr.com/3d

Quote: "Have a look at what dimoxiland does."

This looks FANTASTIC! ... all this professional looking gems should be highlighted somewhere on STEAM.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 4 x CORES / FPUs @3900 MHz - NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti [2 GB] passive cooled - 8GB DDR 3 SDRAM - Win 10 Pro [64 Bit] - Audiosystem: Marian Marc Seraph AD2 - 2 x UAD-2 DSPs

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 20:29
Ah!! You can just grab the textures from X10 and put them into GG. Now, how the framerate will end up being on your rig, I can't tell.

Quote: "highlighted somewhere on STEAM."

Steam? Pff...

GG's Steam presence has a habit to attract only the absolute worst of GG. Most forum posts, a lot of stuff in the artwork series and the majority of greenlight releases where downright abysmal. I think the Steam ship has long sailed but I too agree that TGC should put more focus on the good GG projects on here. After all, potential customers want to see what can be done.

-Wolf
Mrs Baird
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2017 18:02
Quote: "GG's Steam presence has a habit to attract only the absolute worst of GG. Most forum posts, a lot of stuff in the artwork series and the majority of greenlight releases where downright abysmal. I think the Steam ship has long sailed but I too agree that TGC should put more focus on the good GG projects on here. After all, potential customers want to see what can be done."

that's exactly why I said it in the first place. .. it's a mess there right now, agree.

Quote: "You can just grab the textures from X10 and put them into GG."

Is this really that easy or do you mean I would need to transform them one by one with the tools by BOTR?
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2017 03:28
Quote: "Is this really that easy or do you mean I would need to transform them one by one with the tools by BOTR?"

It really is. Most FPSC /FPSCX10 stuff is pretty quickly imported. You don't need any special tools.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:24:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:24:14