Product Chat / Laptop slows to a crawl when testing a game level

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 21st Apr 2017 18:50
I have a pretty up there laptop - Alienware with a Nvidia GTX 1070 full video card (not a mobile card), 32GB ram, 512GB m.3 PCIE ram drive and a 1TB HDD with a 4K display.

The software runs fine. All games i've played from STEAM work fine. I run any level - an empty one, a random one or a level with stuff in it and it becomes unplayable. I have to press the ESC button a hundred times before it will quit.

On my other gaming laptop - a MSI Dominator with a Nvidia GTX 980m and identical specs otherwise to the Alienware EXCEPT a HD monitor and top resolution of 1920x1080, GameGuru works perfectly in editor and when testing.

What could be the problem? This is the only software, gaming or otherwise, that has been a problem on the Alienware.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2017 19:23
Quote: "On my other gaming laptop - a MSI Dominator with a Nvidia GTX 980m and identical specs otherwise to the Alienware EXCEPT a HD monitor and top resolution of 1920x1080, GameGuru works perfectly in editor and when testing."

Might be the resolution.as you said both are identical .just taking a stab at it going by what you said.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Apr 2017 19:59
Quote: "4K display"

Granada may be right, I have a 27" Imac with 5k retina display gameguru runs like a dog if the res is higher than 1920x1080
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2017 20:43
Press F11 and check it is actually using the 1070 rather than the default HD. I had to tell my laptop to use the 980 for GG using the NVidia control centre thingy.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 04:38
Not the resolution. I changed it to HD and it still crawled.

It's using the Nvidia.

I don't know what to fix????

Mike

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 06:10
I know this is no help, but neither of my computers (desktop or laptop) crawl, even on the highest settings. My laptop is also an MSI, but with an 870m. Specs of both are in my sig. None of my monitors are 4k, however, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Are you running any DX reliant programs simultaneously?
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 10:11 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 10:46
Hi,
There is thread somewhere here that talked about setting vsync in Game Guru setup ini can help - should be 1 I think, sometimes it is set at zero. hth

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 11:15 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 11:42
World Class Multimedia: I know this will not fix any hardware related issues , but if you got the "public preview" version, i added a "#define LAPTOP" option in "\files\effectbank\reloaded\settings.fx" if you enable this option by removing the "\\" infront of that line , it will nearly double your FPS. Let me know if it fix your problem

I assume you already tried to update the Nvidia drivers to the latest ?
best regards Preben Eriksen,
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 12:18 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 12:21
Preben,

No, this is the full STEAM edition - i've used Game Gurru since it was reloaded and before.

The vsync trick did not work either.

It only slows to a crawl when rendering/running the game. I get the message 'no baked lightmaps - using realtime shadows'

The screen stays black for a while and then, ever so slowly, it 'fades from black'

Movement is barely registered and it seems like frame rate is -200!!!

Again, this is a BRAND NEW laptop utilizing a Nvidia 1070 GTX full video card - this should SCREAM at 250fps or more. No other game or engine slows down (at all). I get massive frame rates from Unity, Shiva, etc.

My MSI Dominator using a GTX 980m mobile video card, while no slouch, should be much slower than this newer Alienware laptop and yet it is insanely fast in Game Guru when running a game.

Thank you for your help everyone, i'm grateful but frustrated.

BTW, I bought your AGK Game Guru loader and when running any converted level in AGK, it runs incredibly fast with no hiccups. What is different from Game Guru to AGK other than converting dds to png files? Is this a effects or shader problem? If so, which effect or shader is the culprit?

Any ideas anyone?

Mike

Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 12:47 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 12:56
World Class Multimedia:
Quote: "I bought your AGK Game Guru loader and when running any converted level in AGK, it runs incredibly fast with no hiccups. What is different from Game Guru to AGK other than converting dds to png files? Is this a effects or shader problem? If so, which effect or shader is the culprit?"

If it runs fast using GameGuru Loader then it must be a driver problem , thats the only difference opengl vs directx , i tried to google around and see some are saying that you need a "laptop" version of the drivers , i think they are available from the Alienware site, so perhaps you upgraded the drivers directly from Nvidia ? , try reverting your drivers to the original Alienware versions and see it that fix it

Edit: Ohh forgot , this ""#define LAPTOP" option in "\files\effectbank\reloaded\settings.fx" " is to make GameGuru faster on laptops ( not gg loader ) , but it sound more like a driver problem.

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 13:10 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 13:11
No #define LAPTOP option in "\files\effectbank\reloaded\settings.fx" on my copy of Game Guru.

I'm using stock Alienware Nvidia driver.

Mike

Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 13:29
The Stock driver is old. I use an Alienware (17R3) too. The best is to update the nVidea drivers. I use the Tool GeForce Experience for this.

Then I think, it's a problem with the directX Version GG is using and 4k Resolution.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 15:32 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 15:33
On the back of what Preben said about it sounding like a driver issue, because ggloader vs gameguru is the difference between dx9 and opengl, have you tried installing the DX9 redistributable?

GameGuru requires DX9 to run properly, now Win10 (i assume it's Win10 as it's a new laptop) has some of the DX9 files so should run most games that use DX9, however it is missing some of the redistributable dll files.

Go into your GameGuru CommonRedist folder(Program Files (x86) > Steam > Steamapps > Common > GameGuru >_CommonRedist), and install both the DirectX and VCRedist installers, then test how it works.

And as Sanguis said, the Alienware NVidia driver is not always the best to use, it's a generic driver, you're best updating your graphics card driver directly from NVidia.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 16:46 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 16:50
OK, so I updated the Nvidia driver using the Nvidia GeForce experience to the current driver.

I installed DX9 as advised.

I installed the VCRedist as advised.

I rebooted my machine.

I ran Game Guru and tried to run the Antics game (any game or level will do the same thing).

I get 0 FPS when the game is running.

Pressing F11 (after pressing it about 50 times) finally brings up stats. I am running DX12, the Nvidia GeForce 1070 is running. 120 refresh rate, kinda like 2.5k or 3k screen resolution (the native resolution of this machine).

It's not the resolution because I changed it to 1920x1080 and it still crawled with 0 fps.

Remember, this is a machine I can run Skyrim and Fallout 4 at ULTRA settings with 256fps - not one game or engine (AGK, Unity Pro and Shiva included) run slow on this. Just Game Guru.

I am at wits end on this.

I took a screen capture which I will include.

Still crawling at 0 fps. Nothing seems to work. You have to press ESC to quit 50 or more times, TAB 50 or more times to try and see the editing screens. It's like the games are stuck in an infinite loop or something.

Mike

Attachments

Login to view attachments
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi World Class Multimedia

You have to install the right VC for Game Guru as its a 32bit program. Windows 64bit versions uses a system called sysWOW stands for system Windows on Windows, its a 32Bit OS inside Windows 64Bit so you need to install the 32Bit version.

Program Files (x86) /Steam / Steamapps / Common / GameGuru /_CommonRedist...

vcredist_x86.exe in the 2010 folder

See if this helps.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
can you try lower your refresh rate to 60? (display adapter properties -> monitor)
GG is definitely not THAT slow that it will run at 0fps, it's an error somewhere, once you find it you'll be running fine.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 21:00 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 21:02
Start a level and open the taskmanager(strg+shift+esc) and look overused ram/cpu/hd. Also you could look into nvidia if there is something like energy saving activated for GG. You should set it to Maximum(Nvidia optimal sometimes cause slowdowns in indi games)

Just a question: Can you play compiled standalone games? https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216931
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 22:47 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 23:13
Also you should be thinking about reinstalling Game Guru.
PM
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
World Class Multimedia: Tons of suggestions here , im sure suddenly you try something and then go Ahhh thats it , some more options you can try:

1. Switch to the "Public Preview" version Lee did a lot of speed stuff in there , and shaders has been changed , you also find the LAPTOP option there.

2. If you dont already do , try running gameguru using steam. sometimes people have problems if they dont do this.

3. Non of all this works , in your GameGuru folder you find some *.log , files , email all of them to Lee and explain the problem , he might say ohh this is because ... , there is some "speed" stuff also in the log files , and you can see the last thing it does and perhaps what fails.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 10:56
I agree your new laptop should be screaming! Another suggestion for you, in the SETUP.INI file find this field "adapterordinal=0". Try changing the value to 1, saving the file, then running GameGuru and see if this forces the laptop to use your new dedicated graphics chip. Failing that, try it with 2, 3, etc just in case you have different adapter modes in that monster laptop rig. Can you post a screenshot of the F11 page showing the graphics card name and the FPS score with a blank map, thanks!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 12:44 Edited at: 24th Apr 2017 12:48
I tried installing the 32bit files suggested - no luck.

I tried downgrading the refresh rate to 60 from 120 - no luck.

Attached is another screenshot showing 0 FPS. Notice this is not even a level - it's just what loads automatically when you run Game Guru and press the rocket icon. Simply sad.

Mike

Attachments

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 12:47
Here is another screenshot at 60 hz refresh. Notice it's black - it takes over 3 minutes just to see anything - like a fade-in in super slow-motion. FPS is still at 0.

Mike

Attachments

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 12:52
Quote: "in the SETUP.INI file find this field "adapterordinal=0". Try changing the value to 1, saving the file, then running GameGuru and see if this forces the laptop to use your new dedicated graphics chip."

Doing this provides a display mode error loop and the software will not run.

I'll try 2, 3, etc.

Mike

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 12:56
Trying anything other than '0' on adapterordinal results in the error shown in the attachment.

While I appreciate everyone's help, this is really becoming frustrating for me.

Mike

Attachments

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 13:08
Is there a 'safe mode' in Game Guru where all things are turned off and quality is set to absolute minimum - like a troubleshooting mode?

Mike

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is there a 'safe mode' in Game Guru where all things are turned off and quality is set to absolute minimum - like a troubleshooting mode?"

you can toggle the stuff in the test game with the allocated numbers when you press f11 - so pressing 1 will turn off terrain, 2 turns off water etc (if it's capital letters then it's off)... there is the setup.ini file in the files that you changed the vsync in or visuals.ini too which looks a bit weird to read but the f11 mode is the easiest.
it will just take a while for you due to the 0fps issue.

do you have any antivirus that might be trying to run GG in sandbox mode perhaps?

p.s. i've attached a visuals.ini that might help for a quick test though i don't believe it is a quality settings issue.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11

Attachments

25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 13:40 Edited at: 24th Apr 2017 13:52

Some of these high power laptops like yours have The GTX 1070 running in SLI (two cards) if so I tested Game Guru with AMD Cards in crossfire and it was a no go for me. If you have two cards see if you can configure Game Guru to use just one in the Nvidia control center.
PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 19:50 Edited at: 25th Apr 2017 11:58
I can' t help but feeling that it is most likely a directX related problem. Just to be sure:
Please run dxdiag.exe, go to the second tab and show us what is listed on your machine where I drew the yellow ellipse on mine,
see below.

Edit: changed 'ellipsis' to 'ellipse' LOL
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime

Attachments

PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 21:18
Unfortunately, game development rarely comes with a magic button to fix everything, and often relies on some painstaking processes of elimination to figure out the solution. Rest assured there is a solution which will make your GameGuru fly, we just have to find it for your lappy. Can you send me another screenshot but this time at 1024x768 or thereabouts, thanks! Also a shot of your DirectX diag page as demonstrated in the post above, if possible, thanks!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

digitalEYE
Years of Service
User Offline
How does one make it so the test level uses the graphics card? Right now, it defaults to integrated. I can export the file and make that executable use the graphics card, but doing this workaround I lose out on the cool features like "edit in 3d".
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
The only sure way to knock out the Internal Graphics is by going into the Mainboard BIOS (pressing Del or F1 on most boards on boot up) finding the Init Display First Select (PCI-e and Internal Graphics IGFX Select Disabled.

Windows will then not see the Internal Graphics IGFX.
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 13:51
Here is the dx diag info picture and text file.

Mike

Attachments

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 13:53
I've done a screenshot at 1920x1080 above. 1024 x 768 seems a bit underkill for this system.

Mike

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 13:54
I've done a screenshot at 1920x1080 above. 1024 x 768 seems a bit underkill for this system.

Mike

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 17:49 Edited at: 26th Apr 2017 18:08

Man, that's one mighty machine you got there,
but: it itself is aware that there seems to be something wrong in your dx with GG.
It was a good thing that you appended your logs alongside the screenshot.

Inspect the end of your log, there are 5 or 6 blocks
with problem signatures pointing at "GameGuru.exe", only I don't quite know how to read/interpret them

Maybe, Lee is better at it.

Some other things I noticed, vaguely suspective:
Lee should state whether these are likely to have influence on GG

* System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

* Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

* in my (older) MSI Notebook, the intel built-ingraphics card is listed first, then the nvidia
in your case, it is the other way round

* Driver Date/Size: 3/30/2017 8:00:00 PM, 885216 bytes
WTF ? Mine are about 20 times as big, although it's only a humble GTX 780M

* Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported

* Graphics Preemption: Pixel // ?? DMA in my case
Compute Preemption: Dispatch // ?? DMA in my case

I'm not saying DMA is "better" than your settings (it probably isn't), but, maybe,
GG is not yet prepared for your settings of the last two ?

25-Watts suggested above that the built-in Intel GFX be disabled in BIOS, to make sure GG isn't thinking
it is talking to the nvidia while it actually addresses the intel GFX.
That's the easiest condition to test out.
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 18:15
Wow, I have NO IDEA what you are saying, but it sounds wonderfully complex.

I just want it to work.

The fact that AGK works with GG levels but GG can't really gets me. No other engine I own, nor game, acts like this.

This laptop is, as you said, a beast. It should be working flawlessly and FAST.

Mike

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, the extracts are more or less directed at Lee, other than 25-WATT's idea that you please try to go to your BIOS settings and disable the built-i n Intel 530 GFX card.

On your level:
a Lamborghini is also a top tier car, which should outperform most other cars - until such time when you go out for a countryside ride, see the need to refuel, and the gas-station attendand nonchalantly fills in a load of Diesel fuel, like with all those other combine harvesters that come to him for the same reason as you did.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 20:07
I can't find your "screenshot at 1920x1080" of the F11 screen inside test game, can you repost thanks!

25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 21:31 Edited at: 26th Apr 2017 21:59

I'm hoping this may be your problem its something call Nvidia_Optimus when you start a program the Nvidia drivers works out which is the best card to use for what you are running and will switch between the two to save battery power, should work like this, web-browsing it uses the Intel Graphics 530 GFX card, playing a game it should switch to the GTX Nvidia 1070 card. could be its not switching over to the GTX 1070 for Game Guru.

Read more about it here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

Nvidia Optimus also gives you the option to run with whatever graphics processor you want, Right click the App or Game and "Run with graphics processor :- High-performance Nvidia Processor" You can do the same under NVIDIA control panel. For each application profile to keep those settings.

So go to your GameGuru folder and Right Click on the red icon GameGuru.exe
and see if an option is there to use High-performance Nvidia Processor

GameGuru.exe is found in Program Files(x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Game Guru

Good Luck
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 23:02
No, the screen shots above clearly show the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 is working.

I am technical, but I do not know as much about DirectX and drivers as you guys do.

I will post another 1920x1080 screen shot.

Mike

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 23:11
Here it is in all its 1920x1080 glory.

Mike

Attachments

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2017 23:14 Edited at: 26th Apr 2017 23:15
I uninstalled Game Guru using STEAM and now re-installing it - as someone suggested but I am pretty sure it won't do anything differently.

Mike

m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Does any one know for sure that insisting on using a 120 refresh rate even works in gg, try 60 and see if it makes a difference.

Windows 10,64 bit|AMD FX-6200 Six-core-3.Ghz |CPU PASSMARK 6,142 |Memory 10GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 SC |GPU PASSMARK 4,114

World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2017 00:34
Did that already - 60hz refresh was at 0 FPS - changing any and all settings have failed.

Mike

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2017 10:59
Thanks for the 1920x1080 shot, just what I need to see. The next thing to try is to switch everything except sky off, so pressing the numerics on your keyboard should disable everything but leave [5] Sky alone. This should then show you the FPS from rendering just 12 polygons and a few background polys. This will test whether DirectX is just very very slow, or seriously crippled. Also, not sure if you posted it above, but can you send me a link to the product page of the laptop you have (just in case I want to buy one for a first-hand look at this bug), thanks.

25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No, the screen shots above clearly show the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 is working."

Your slower Intel HD 530 and the GTX 1070 are working in series using the Nvidia drivers to automatically switching from one to another. They do this seamlessly. Pressing F11 in Game Guru could still show Nvidia Card (DRIVERS) when infact you are using the Intel card. Because the Nvidia Drivers are controlling the Intel HD 530

Below is from link in my post above!

When a user launches an application, the graphics driver tries to determine whether the application would benefit from the discrete GPU. If so, the GPU is powered up from an idle state and is passed all rendering calls. Even in this case, though, the integrated graphics processor (IGP) is used to output the final image. When less demanding applications are used, the IGP takes sole control, allowing for longer battery life and less fan noise. Under Windows the Nvidia driver also provides the option to manually select the GPU in the right-click menu upon launching an executable.

When the GPU power is off, the driver redirects graphics commands to the integrated graphics chip. The switching is designed to be completely seamless and to happen "behind the scenes".

Quote: "I am technical"

So go to your GameGuru folder and Right Click on the red icon GameGuru.exe
and see if an option is there to Run with graphics processor --> next tab --> High-performance Nvidia Processor (left click)

GameGuru.exe is found in Program Files(x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Game Guru

Below points out that Any 3D (DX Calls) will trigger your GTX 1070 to power up. Maybe Game Guru is not trigging the GTX 1070 for some reason thats why you need to do the above to force the GTX 1070 to run the GAMEGURU.EXE

By recognizing designated classes, the Optimus Routing Layer can help determine when the GPU can be utilized to improve rendering performance. Specifically, it sends a signal to power-on the GPU when it finds any of the following three call types:

DX Calls: Any 3D game engine or DirectX application will trigger these calls
DXVA Calls: Video playback will trigger these calls (DXVA = DirectX Video Acceleration)
CUDA Calls: CUDA applications will trigger these calls

But even if you are running on the Intel graphics HD 530 which has a 3D score of 1000 you should be getting playable FPS at 720p so you may have other problems than what I have said above.

Also always have the power lead plug in when running games, my Laptop FPS drop by 50% if I unplug it mid game.

It would be nice to know if you have forced Game Guru to use the GTX 1070 by right ckicking on the icon and doing what I said above then we will all be sure it is using the GTX 1070! and not going by what it says on the F11 screen Shot.

PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe, it is useful for TGC to scan the boards who of the contributors may also be using an NVIDA 1070 and if any, ask their configuration - and possible problems they had ?

Maybe, WCMMs machine is too advanced and doesn't have enough backward compatibility for GG. at least with its current settings ?
When I think of it :
some time in the past, it was not unusual that a BIOS offered "slow, but safe" settings,
But I am unaware whether such an option is available with Alienware. If there is one, I'd tried it.

And I'm still puzzled over the minute nvidia driver he seems to be employing...
PM
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2017 13:12
Perhaps Lee could take a look with TeamViewer (https://www.teamviewer.com/en/) or something like this?
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
DX Text says its a Alienware 17 R4

Reading up on these Laptops they have a hardware switch on the Fn row if you wish to set the machine to always run on dedicated graphics.
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2017 13:32 Edited at: 27th Apr 2017 13:35
No right-click option on my Alienware to discreetly run Nvidia GTX 1070 - I have a function key switch to go between Intel graphics and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics. It's on the 1070.

My MSI gaming monster runs fine and is using a Nvidia GTX 980m processor. It also does not have the right-click choose Nvidia option. Game Guru runs like a champ on this laptop. However, my lower end gaming laptops by Acer and Asus do have that right-click option - those run MUCH lower end GeForce cards, like a 700 and 600 series. FPS Creator and now Game Guru have both run fine on these as well no matter what I throw at it - the lowest end one would choke a bit with too many palm trees and other objects in a level, but would still run at a respectable 20-30 fps - and that's my lowest end machine.

Lee, I have tried pressing the numbers to turn off the various options but it's soooooooo slow that I cannot seem to trigger any of them. Just to ESCAPE (quit), I have to press the ESC button about 30 or 40 times until it FINALLY quits. Same with pressing F11 - have to keep doing it until I finally see the diagnostics.

Mike

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:23:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:23:11