Scripts / Question about using some store purchased scripts

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2017 07:20
Hi guys, new GG user. This forum has helped a lot to already just from scanning other posts, so hopefully someone can help me with this one as I'm having some trouble getting something working properly.
Just as a side note, I don't really know anything about programming, so please be very basic in replies

I purchased some rpg scripts from the store, I managed to get the main mechanics working with the .lua files, but apparently I can modify quest text and the like. There is a post on this forum from the maker explaining how to do it, but I've tried to follow the instruction he laid out in the post, but still can't modify the text at all.
Here is a copy of the way it was explained in his post (I've contacted him but had no reply, fyi):

How to customize:

1) Create Quests folder (Game Guru\Files\Quests\)
2) Create dat file to Quests folder to override a default dialogue (eg. Game Guru\Files\Quests\request1.dat)
3) Write text to your dat file.

Data files (X = Quest number):

nameX.dat - Name of the target entity. Works with every Quest type. If there is no name set, the name of the entity will be "???" and the Initiator will use vague terms when speaking about the target (e.g. "There's something I want you to destroy."

initiateX.dat - Two first lines of this file are read. First line will be used as the name of the Initiator (entity with moshroom_quest_begin.lua). Second line will be the conversation initiation line of the character. If these aren't set, the name of the character will be "???" and the initiation line will be "Hey you! Got a minute?".

requestX.dat - The Initiator will speak these lines before the Quest has been accepted. Each line in the file represents a sentence the character will speak between player pressing E.

etc (more of the same kinda stuff, no more real instructions). Well, I created the quests folder, but I'm unsure how and where to create the .dat files. And do I create one for ever thingx.dat, or one file with all of the thingx.dats I need?

Can anyone explain it for me, I'm lost
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but I'm unsure how and where to create the .dat files."

Quote: "1) Create Quests folder (Game Guru\Files\Quests\)
2) Create dat file to Quests folder to override a default dialogue (eg. Game Guru\Files\Quests\request1.dat)
3) Write text to your dat file."

It says to create the DAT files inside the quest folder you just created.
You can create a simple text file first and then convert to .dat once you're done (notepad is fine for this).

You didn't post anything about thingx so try with just 1 item per quest first and if its working try adding another item and see if it still works... Otherwise it'll have to be a separate quest for each item.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Zero_HP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2017 01:05
Thanks for the reply Smallg.
I meant thingx.dat as a representation for all the different .dat files, like namex.dat, initiate x.dat etc.
I've created text files in the quests folder, saved as .dat, with the relevevant lines written out as outlined in the instructions.
Do I need to create a .dat for everything i want to change, so for example name1.dat, request1.dat etc,, as that is what I have previously tried but has no effect in game.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh I see, I thought it was relating to the "thing" you wanted to collect or something...

Looks correct to me from the instructions you posted, do you get errors in game or are the quests working but ignoring the files?
Hopefully someone who actually has the pack can help out more.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2017 10:56
Here you go m8 if its Moshrooms scripts I've used them all for ages now here's an example of all the .dat files you need (this one i used in Dropzone).
To set it up just open them and adjust them to your liking, you'll see the structure then just drop the folder into the main files folder.
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zero_HP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2017 18:57
Thanks guys, sorted it now. I think it was that I hadn't actually made dat files, they were still just text files. I copied and renamed the ones from Honkeyboy(thanks dude, much appreciated) and they worked fine, so looks like I was just being a dolt.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 21:03:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 21:03:05