Product Chat / Questions for Lee

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2017 19:59 Edited at: 15th Apr 2017 13:15
i have 3 questions for Lee.

1 why when a game is compiled, in standalone the loading screens are so SLOW before the game is loaded and ready to play, standart games are really fast with loading screens, i tested again my game FEAR 2 & 3 and its really faster to load.

2 it is possible to CHANGE FOR EVER the actual situation of the loading screens, by something more standart, i saw for every resolution its a different loading screen picture, it is possible to JUST create ONE IMAGE and the software readapt that picture to different résolutions by croping/scaling it, i know this is completly feseable, also it if its possible to add animated backgrounds for loading screens instead of one picture !!!
i would like for example use a very small 3d scene with a small camera movement instead of a static picture background for the loading screens...

3 what do you really need to change is INSIDE GAME GURU default screen is to remove the default visible GRASS by a default screen (grey grid) or event this https://images2.pixlis.com/background-image-checkers-chequered-checkered-squares-seamless-tileable-dim-gray-jumbo-236dt4.png.
i Know it's a voting pool, but don't you seriously think this is more urgent, because this is a basic function needed for this software.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2017 15:34 Edited at: 17th Apr 2017 15:38
It's all on the voting board and so loading screens prob come under menu eiting etc.

It takes a while due to it is loading everything in. Most aaa etc. Have things loading in all the time underneath and so game guru is overly basic with this. Not sure it will ever change but it is not a aaa machine it is what it is. Unles there is a new vote for faster loading etc. Which will take a bit of clever thinking and working out by the tgc team. I'm all for faster loading. Maybe they will so it with markers or zonal etc. But will take some clever thinking. As to grass no mate that's nitpicking. If it is basic grass it's there. Some people don't like to paint it all in bit by bit. Read the thread on multi texture of terrain will help you. I hope that helps I just think you have a good one with faster loading. Maybe get an optional gray terrain.
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2017 16:17
yeah but i mean EVEN if i make an empty map, with just one crate, the exported project takes a loooooong time to load the map !!!
thats incredible, terrible, people cant wait for 30s loading and then you just see an object !!!!
this is something to work seriously on !!!
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 17th Apr 2017 16:40
An empty map takes about 3 seconds for me, about 30 seconds for a couple of hundred models, its slower than many games, but not that slow, I've seen AAA games with a lit longer, especially MMO's, if you really want to see long loading try playing Elders Scrolls Online, two to three minutes minimum per loading screen, heck go play on a spectrum, 15 minute loading times ftw :p

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2017 11:19
If you created a small program in AppGameKit to load and display a crate, you would certainly be able to get your loading time down to less than 3 seconds for sure GameGuru must load in the assets for an entire multipurpose game engine, and loading takes time. Off-the-shelf games are HIGHLY optimized for a single game sequence and usually have a few coders who do nothing but performance work. That said, I do agree there are areas I can optimize such as combining and compressing graphical and audio resources to reduce the file system hit and do more pre-processing and data caching for the final standalone but that would come at the cost of longer 'Save Standalone' processing time. It would also require a chunk of work to focus on this, which means no more work on in-game performance, AI and other fixes/features. The voting board was created to solve this dilemma by focusing on what the majority considers important, and as of today, it's LUA commands, with performance work not even in the top 20. Naturally, I work on performance with every update, but a significant detour to focus only on loading times would naturally detract from other things.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 08:42:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 08:42:45