Feature Creep / Randomize terrain with [ i ]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2017 17:06
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this has been talked about before but it would be great if you could use the terrain tool like the spray of entities using [ i ].

As you use the Shape Mode for terrain you just press [ i ] to select random terrain and maybe also be able to select terrain height too by using the Store Level Mode using [ i ]

Is this possible?
Can it be done?

Even better if you could go through a terrain to make a cave or tunnel. That would be so cool.

What do you think guys?
Dark Base 900 Pro OJ: Rampage V Ed.10, i7 6950x non-OC, DDR4-3333 64 GB RAM, Win 10/64, Asus Strix GeForce 1080 x 2 SLI mode, Water cooled with an old Victorian cast iron radiator and a industrial leather belt driven fan - That's what you call Steampunked.

Laptop - M17xR3

A new competition running for GG
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 23rd May 2017 03:32
Yes. Look at Planet Coaster's terrain editing - complete with caves, holes and overhangs.

I think their terrain is using good quality voxels, but not sure.

Would really love to create caves, tunnels, etc.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2017 04:37
Quote: "Yes. Look at Planet Coaster's terrain editing - complete with caves, holes and overhangs."

It's an awesome terrain system, and actually, I think RCT3 (also Frontier) had a better terrain system to what we have in GG.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 23rd May 2017 13:06
That is true, but any old timer will recognize the terrain editing as it was in Dark Basic days - just about the same. We need a bit more erosion tools (like fluvial, rivers, deltas, eroding of terrain, etc) and sculpting tools to make more realistic terrain. There, Unity has all other engines beat due to so many good 3rd party sculpting assets.

One of my favorite that could be implemented in GG, I believe, is stamps. You select a pre-made stamp (a black and white bitmap) and apply it to the surface of the terrain (you can make it larger/smaller just like a paint brush). The results are either a cut out or growth of the terrain in that stamp's shape. It is a VERY effective way to create realistic terrain quickly. I would LOVE to see this in GG at some point.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 07:26:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 07:26:06