Product Chat / i think i have found a way to copy / extract more than one entity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 4th Apr 2017 20:50
i think i have found a way to copy / extract more than one entity .
Well so far i have tested it, and it works for me, do not know if anyone would like to try this.
its not what we would like to have but just maybe it can help some users.

the same way you would link an entity in the ebe building editor, the same way it also work in the normal editor.

while you are in the normal editor, not ebe. do the following.
Well lets say you want to make a copy of a building with furniture in it.

1. place down your building.
2.press tab to see bottom half of building so that its ease to place furniture.
3. pick the furniture / entity that you want to place down, and move it on / into the building while holding down the L key,
when you hold down the l key while moving your entity onto the building, the building also becomes red. then left click with mouse, and this when will link your entity to the building just like in the ebe.
4. do this with all the furniture you want to place in the house,
5. then when you are happy with the arrangement, move mouse over building, then building and all entities will turn red that is linked with building , press extract while holding left shift and move a copy of the building with all the furniture in it.

if you like this feature , well then you can basically link any entity with anther entity and move them at he same time.

Also once you have linked the entities , and safe the map, when you open it again you can again extract the building with furniture again.

hope this will help some users.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2017 23:16
sounds quite nifty m8 i'll have to try that
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Johno 15
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2017 23:49
Yea, using the parenting system does allow multiple copy/extract, its quite a nice feature, wouldn't have known about it if i hadn't read the changelogs, wasn't really advertised much, even for use with the EBE system
'Judge a man not by his answers. But by his questions.'
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2017 01:40
Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for the info!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
interesting, thanks for sharing
works ok for some things indeed, a bit awkward to get used to but if you move the camera around first you can line up stuff so that the cursor is already on the desired object without needing to move it (as you need the cursor to be over the desired object to link) - this means you don't technically have to have the 2 objects even touching (just remember to press G if you want to move the camera again after extracting)

definitely not perfect...
* scale is not saved and so some things pop to the wrong size when placed but i believe if you scale something after you link them (via the linked object) it will save - i just didn't link scaled objects.
* pressing the right mouse button at any time while moving the extracted objects (i.e. to move the camera) just removes the linked objects (no idea where they go, they seemed to vanish) but you still have the main object you extracted in your hand...
* rotating or moving the group too fast seems to randomly misalign the objects... this was not 100% and i still don't know why this happens exactly as it doesn't do it everytime

hope we still get a normal lasso type copy and paste in future but this definitely helps in the mean time
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 5th Apr 2017 19:42
yes also hope so.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work around. But I hope Lee implements the group select copy/paste feature soon. We've been requesting it for a long long time.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:30:18
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:30:18