Free Models and Media / Sketchup into Gameguru - A Nutshell Tutorial - How It's Done

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 05:48
I don't think the Sketchup import procedure has been pinned down, yet - so here it goes.

Step 1 - Acquire SketchUp - free or Pro
- Locate and download xExpoter.rb online (it's free) and install into whatever version of SketchUp you are using.

Step 2 - Create a 3D model using multiple textures - Yes, I did say MULTIPLE TEXTURES

Step 3 - Align the center or a corner of the model with the x,y,z origin. (This will dictate how model shows up in GameGuru)

Step 4 - Explode the model - No Groups !! - Have everything on the same layer (one layer).

Step 5 - Make sure you know where all the textures are. Eliminate any hidden textures - replace or purge. When you do the export, you will see any textures you did not intend to be there.

Step 6 - Create a destination file folder to the exported files will go.

Step 7 - Use the .X file plugin and select the destination file. The export should go fairly quick.

Step 8 - Open the x file with Notepad or something similar. Look for the .jpg file names. You can use the file names that the exporter spits out or abbreviate them. Everything is a matching game at this point. The image names need to exactly match that which is in the x file. When ready, type ".x " after the name of the file when you save, and a proper .x file will be created.

Step 9 - Locate a similar .FPE file - change the file name and that which is listed inside. Where "Textured =" is listed, LEAVE IT BLANK unless you only have one texture. The DBO file will create automatically when you run GameGuru.

Step 10 - Put the assembly file into the Entitybank folder.

Step 11 - Look for the object in GameGuru, in Entities, and select. It should show up bold as brass. If it is black - the textures are not named correctly and the .x file has them listed wrong. If a tiny ball only shows up, then the main file names are not in-sync.

Sounds like a pain, but if you are familiar with SketchUp you won't have a problem. Please let me know if have a simpler way of doing this.

Thanks for checking this out.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 12:23 Edited at: 29th Mar 2017 12:24
Very helpful, thanks for that

Just a quick aside, this would probably have been better suited for the "Third Party Tools" section of the forum, that area is specifically set aside for discussions about tools used outside of gameguru and how they can be used for gameguru.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:12:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:12:40