3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Breakable Glass

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2017 19:28 Edited at: 16th Mar 2017 19:31
I was browsing the voting board and the spiffing results we got.
Great job guys! Way to solve a problem! ...by doing the exact thing again.

But enough of that! I've noticed 2 entries there. "Glass" and "Breakable Objects". And I figured! Wow!
Glass and breakable objects.

Those are things we where able to do forever now. Rolfy released a pack with destructible buildings and roads. (!) Has this already been deleted from our collective memory?! We have cubemapping now. What is more "glassy" than cube mapping?

I know, a lot of you just want a library of windows and objects to conveniently place into your maps and I have total faith in Lee that he'll eventually get around adding that but there is still something about a lot of these suggestions that bothered me. I'm saying this as a GG user and not a moderator, so this is plainly my personal opinion. Game design, to me, has always been meta art. It was a creative hobby about learning and mastering new skills.

It has always been apparent to me that you are only making about 20% of your game inside the engines interface. This is where it'll all click together.
Now, throughout time, engines added plenty of tools and widgets to them, for example: Back in the day we designed levels in modeling or level design software. Nowadays its a given that this is a feature of every engine on the market. I'm all for powerful engines and features but they will always be just that: engines. Expecting to drop everything into your map and have it work out of the box is not designing a game, its playing one. The lines blur more and more but I'm sure there'll be a fundamental difference for many years to come. Probably until we "write our holo-novels"

I'm not against Lee taking the time to add these features, we had them in FPSC, but all he can really do is add a few stock models that show us how to do it so we can replicate the process for our own, custom stuff. There should at least be a little asterisk at these requests that explain that yes, these things can already be accomplished by conventional means but we are making it even more easy for you by adding a library of stock content for you to use immediately. You can modify it to all your hearts desire.

So yeah, I have the flu and am on vacation at the moment (such a great combination ) so I took some time out of my evening to bring you:

Breakable glass

It has mild cube mapping that the shards retain once you shatter them.

I guess the whole point of this is to say that: Don't blame all shortcomings and features you don't see immediately on the program. Try to get something up and running for yourself, look at what other people did on the forums. You would be surprised what can be accomplished already

Ain't perfect, ain't particulary good but I got it up n' running maself

Happy developing!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2017 19:41
Looks good to me,maybe the broken bits could be a little smaller but l like it.
As To your other points ,very true.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2017 11:44
I agree! I did scale it up a bit to fit into wizard of id's hallway piece there.
And thank you!
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2017 20:28
very sweet indeed
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 18:41
Thank you!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:39:36