Product Chat / Find items in your map - workaround

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2017 17:24
Hi guys
Well guys,I can not say that this is an elegant solution, it is grotesque and unnatural, but it works and it can help.

TIPS

Unzip file>put files in entitybank/scriptbank.

STEP 1
here you'll need some entity list with all the names and ids (numbers) of the entities, you've over your map.
Don't worry, I already thought about it, so I've wrote script named: "write_names.lua".
write_names.lua file generate an entity list with all the info needed; this file sit in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Guru\Files\idList.txt".
Open it in notepad so you can get the id you are looking for, you'll need for later use.

How to
I've use barrel>attached script>start level>go closest to the barrel>file will be generate>back editor>edit "idList.txt" file with notepad.

STEP 2
Now you've your entity list, with all the paths, names,ids. Bacames handy if you don't know the entity id you are looking for, but the name.

Well, back to the main theme.

1- Place "decal_arrow" item closest to the player, as in the video.
1a-Make "decal_arrow" dynamic, isImmobile=yes, and "always active=yes" via entity properties.Attach script named "find_item.lua"

HOW IT WORKS IN TEST GAME

1- Run your level
2- type the entity id(number) you are looking for.
3- Press ENTER

SO, WHAT WILL HAPPENS

You'll appears closest to the entity you are looking for, and the arrow as well.

SHOULD I DO SOMETHING?

You can do 2 things

a- Work with the item in test mode via F9.
b- Via F9 do what I did in the video with the arrow, so you can see it from far away when back to editor, this will help you to find the entity you are looking for.

CAN I LOOK FOR MORE THAN 1 ENTITY?
please give me sometime, I'm going to test it and back when done, please wait..............

Well, I has been working on it, and finally I've got; so YES you can!. Watch the video for more related info.
Obviusly if you do so, you has to work with item, in situ.

SUGGESTION
Try as possible to place player marker firts, it is not a mandatory, but it may help to simplify the process.

I'm using some of my item snowed pack test map, and as you can see in the video, there is some home at the top of mountain, if I do some search for that home, the player appear inside the montain,
and you can do nothing; so please in a similar case, look for something inside the home, instead of the home itself. It too hard to calculate the bunch of hights there are out there. LOL.
In the video I'm search for the flame, than I know than I've inside the home, so when I found the flame I've found the home too, and voila!

In the last part of the video, I'm going to search the home itself to recreate the bug; so please take into account, and best search for something inside the home (a table, chair, lamp, etc), or nearest.
You just can experienced that issue, in a very height spot. Increase the Y is not the solution, since then you will appears at fly, when item being a normal level.
Best solution maybe calculate the environtment height, where the home is placed, and work with that height. but now 10;am here, and I still do not going to the bed, looking for the formula to calculate this now, would be a disaster. LOL

Find item test4

hth

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2017 18:20
Not as grotesque or unnatural as you intially implied, actually quite clever, thanks! BTW, I also appreciate the video, it's supposed to be 90 deg. F here tomorrow!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2017 19:00
Glad you like Jerry.
Quote: "it's supposed to be 90 deg. F here tomorrow!"

OMG! mate, keep your beers on the ice, and closest to you.

Here odd whether nor cool , nor hot, now coming spring season.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:09:25