Feature Creep / Show Entity Name

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2017 18:20
There is no easy way to figure out what the entity's name is except by selecting "properties" after clicking on the entity. How about either when hovering over entity it shows the name OR when clicking on entity it supplies a name at the top of the option list?

Another Old Man
When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2017 20:01
Have you tried looking at the left lower status bar?
Hovering the mouse over objects usually shows the entity number and name.

Also instructions for tools and use are put here to the left more. This line will also tell you if someones lobby is waiting for users to join for multiplayer.

The right side has Grid reference, the clip reference when used, and the x and z coordinates of where your mouse is.

Let me know if this is not working for you.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2017 20:01 Edited at: 5th Mar 2017 20:03
This is the biggest issue I have with Game Guru. By the way. I bring it up every couple of months.

Having entities appear green after being clicked would be extremely helpful... (like in F9 edit mode). When dealing with a cluttered environment its virtually impossible to know what you have actually selected. Since there is no indication written anywhere. Having the entity appear green would solve this problem.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be nice but I wouldn't say it's my biggest problem, something that should be added in future though.
A highlight effect and also the name being put to the top of the widget list for easier viewing.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2017 02:34
I really need this :/
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2017 03:59 Edited at: 16th Mar 2017 04:06
P.M. - Firstly, thanks for moving this, although, you are right. What I was suggesting is a moot point because the name of the entity is listed on the bottom. I have just started making my first map and I end up very often I select the wrong entity to modify as I didn't like taking the time to select properties to find out the name. I thought this was the only way I could find out. Knowing that the name is put there on mouse over is going to prevent me from pulling out my hair. So as far as putting the name in the widget list is not of dire need. However, it still could be useful in the scheme of things.

I agree with Teabone. I can see where one would have a lot of entities scrunched together you would like to know when one is being edited. I had two decals almost overlapping and I kept clicking on what I thought was the right one and then when I tweaked the position it was the wrong one. Sometimes it was something I didn't really want to move. Seems like it would be easy to add as the entity is already selected by clicking on it and it goes to part of the code that displays the widget list.
When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:39:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:39:24