Product Chat / We Need Player control

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2017 00:02 Edited at: 25th Feb 2017 11:56
Player control as in how high he or she can jump, fly, run not ruled by the first level, e.g if i script an upgrade for jumping it needs to stick not be ruled by the first level marker so as if say i gain a jump power it saves over to the next level not reverts back to the default one set on the first level. This would work the same with space games as the player is the ship! still stuck with the initial settings of the first marker. Yes I'm ranting but all of the games I've tried to create have suffered this same problem, were stuck with this fps kind of genre and set by the first player marker. I personally believe every game begins and ends with the player if the player is limited the game is limited. I know Lee's working hard previously on EBE now on AI but we're still in the same place you can have a million dancing dogs but with no trainer they will just run off! . Sorry for the rant but I'm totally committed to this.
A few examples.

1. Numbered multi single player markers, why? that way on the current map we can use them to spawn in realistic areas e.g "player dies" spawns at player marker 2 "the hospital"
This could also be used via the winzones e.g player leaves level 3 to level one and arrives where he left off not the start of the level. (yes i do know we can use transportinzone but it just seems a cheap nasty way when it could be done properly

2/ player stats, e.g for the space type games shrinking the player increased the size and feel of the map slowing player speed added to this.
The problem here was on entering a full size map the player was still at reduced speed = didn't work so the player stats need to be able to be changed per level
These two things have crippled every game ive tried to make with GG, yes i can build a pretty map, or maps but without decent control over the player marker that's all they become and very linear
Player choice would be a cool addon to have in the GG bank as well
I do understand that GG's early stages mean that things take time but a looksee into the player itself would in my opinion boost GG game making capabilities 10 fold.
maybe some new commands? Set Player Speed? Set Player Gravity? etc
Ok rant over back to scratching my head lol
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2017 20:12
The grand plan is to externalize ALL the player control (both FPS and TPP modes) to LUA script with supporting commands, so you can effectively hijack everything I have chosen for the player and impose your own rules. It's the only way I think for a small team (well, me) to continue improving the engine and offload the 'variants on a theme' to something the community could handle themselves. You will see this philosophy when the AI stuff comes out, handing much more control (and responsibility) to the user, rather than having it locked up in Lee's back box attic.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2017 20:52 Edited at: 26th Feb 2017 20:55
Cheers Lee, Love your engine I've tried the others and they just don't hit the mark for me. Looking forward to what's next as I always am. Yeah I bitch a bit but you wanna hear the other half lol (must have rubbed off) I completely understand the "1 man Army thing" cos I am one and I do know how hard you work and appreciate it
Thanks for the reply Lee Appreciated
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:13:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:13:13