Product Chat / Game Guru or Dark Basic Pro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hy. I want to probably create a fully 3D FPS. In all honesty, is Game Guru as powerful as Dark Basic Pro? If so then I will just buy Game Guru. And can Lua scripting be applied to all aspects of Game Logic In Game Guru? I have seen an FPS created in Dark Basic pro and it is just what I need but if Game Guru can do the same thing just with better graphics then I might just buy Game Guru. Is Game Guru just to early in development perhaps?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
totally different style of working, game guru is a 3D editor with scripting for the in game logic and with dark basic pro you would have to code the entire game from level editor (or simply creating the level) to end game playability (unless there are plugins or such to make the process quicker)

it's important to note that GG is nowhere near finished but can make a decent start and with the upcoming AI update it should be able to produce some much more quality games soon.

both have their pros and cons but it really depends on what you can do and how much you're happy to code yourself.
if you are happy to fully code the game though i would recommend unreal or unity over dark basic pro, you'll get much better performance as these are much more up to date solutions (both offer a 3D editor like GG but i would still say the overall time you need to invest is higher - to produce a basic game at least, if you want AAA / top quality then they are the only way to go, TGC products are much more aimed at the indie or hobbyist).
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
DonVito Napolitano
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok thank you. So Game Guru is not capable of creating big titles like FPS or sandbox? neither is Dark Basic Pro?! I disagree with the second part. I mean Cross Platform is not a high priority even today right? Because don't most people play games on windows anyway? Other than consoles I really don't think it matters much if my game is not for mac. Also I like Dark Basic Pro because I want my game to work for lower quality PCs also, like Windows XPs. I could use Unity but I really think that Dark Basic pro is good enough for the job.

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2017 22:14
Give DBPro a spin for a while, it sounds like it fits your needs. I think the price is right (isn't it free now?) You can keep an eye on the meantime on GG and track its progress. It's not there yet but people are still doing some amazing things with it. DBPro will give much better performance than gg. Just consider that GG was once upon a time written in DBPro!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
DonVito Napolitano
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree!
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2017 20:46
Quote: "I could use Unity but I really think that Dark Basic pro is good enough for the job. "

Hmm!!

To judge that we'd need to know a little bit more about what features your game needs and how exactly you want it to look and feel. Objectively I'd recommend unity over DBPro but subjectively I like DBPro better.

Can you link us to that FPS project you are reffering to?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2017 20:34 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2017 20:35
Personally, I find DB Pro a whole lot easier to work with than Unreal, from a programming point of view. Unreal is awful code wise - I really can't get on with it. It's been awhile since I tried Unity, but it is in a similar boat, although the coding is more approachable than Unreal.

DB Pro is pretty capable and in honesty for an FPS probably fast enough. On modern systems DB will run pretty quickly these days. In fact I reckon a well written DB FPS would easily beat Game Guru in every area. You have much more control over things and I think the speed would be better (going from old demos I worked on, they all run like silk on my machine). You can use the original FPSC as an editor if you wish, with only one command to load up your entire level, collision and all, which is pretty cool.

It depends as said on what you are after. If you want all the bells and whistles you probably want to try one of the harder solutions. If you have never coded before though, you would be better with DB or Game Guru as both are easier to use than the other options. Game Guru being easier than all of them to get going.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:42:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:42:45