Product Chat / High Def

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

I have a some questions about HD. First is game guru in HD? If not can we turn it on or does lee need to add it? I can have resolutions better than 720p and 1080p and I can use a adapter to make old games run at 1080p but the graphics while look a little better are not HD. So how exactly do we get a high def look to our games? Is it more shader or texture making ? Are HD textures different than regular textures or do they just have better shaders? I know that not everyone wants HD but I still would like to know exactly how its done and if we can do it too.
Thanks Very Much
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 19:34
HD in games is a little different apposed to movies for example, where the actually content is formatted to specific resolutions. In order to properly support High resolutions you up the amount of FXAA, or any technology that can reduce pixalation as well as using high res textures, usually 2K and 4K textures even 8K textures if needed.

However HD is a memory hog of note so it isn't really going to work on majority of computers.Generally you just be better off using quality textures and media and use software technology to scale up to higher resolution.

That said no amount of higher texture resolutions is going to improve visuals, other then pixalation and perhaps a little more texture detail.To be precise HD in no certain terms is nothing more then marketing hype, to sell volume.HD is nothing more then support for higher resolution
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 22:35 Edited at: 15th Feb 2017 22:36
If you open your setup.ini (with notepad) and change this line to : "disabledynamicres = 1" your GG will always run in your native monitor resolution.

"High Definition" is a term that somehow wormed itself into the game development scene but in essence, as Wizard has already pointed out, its mostly related to monitors and image resolution.

Good graphics don't come from settings. They are an intricate mixture of technology and art and are thus very hard to craft. While good rendering and shaders greatly influence how your game will look and feel, what makes it "look good" will be the models and media you craft/use. Making models as they are seen in todays videogames is a tough skill to master and it takes years to do so. Lighting is a key factor in this too.

A lot of "HD" mods for games replace textures with higher resolution ones, I believe this is where the term came from and alas...its a good buzzword to market things (The HD rerelease!)...this can result in an improvement in visual quality but does not need to. The texture itself is a bit more important than its definition here. Even now you'd be surprised how Low-Res a lot of content in contemporary games really is.

I suppose there is little advice I could give. Look up 3D modeling, teach yourself the basics of texturing and what the different shader maps do and maybe look at a few games you like visually and how they are made. There are a lot of different styles and approaches to visuals in our showcase and work in progress boards...you can browse these to get an idea how people achieve the graphics of their games in GG.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:49:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:49:47