Off Topic / GG is like Far Cry 4 editor

Author
User Banned
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 13:18
In fact GG simplicity and usage has lot of similar points to Far Cry 4 editor lol
GG only needs some lighting and workflow improvments (FBX import, easy to make any custom npc, easy entity system and editing , prefabs) to become more modern.

Some feature i would surely vote would be GG becoming an open world game engine in the long term.
It could be achieved using terrain tiles with occlusion, and only displaying tiles around player with objects on top of these terrain tiles, npc groups load/unload based on player distance for example.

What i like about the Far Cry 4 editor is the optionnal top bar showing the RAM , objects and performance around the zone you are editing in real time
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 18:41 Edited at: 15th Feb 2017 23:46
Yes they are similar .... Of course that's actually a cut down version of what Crytek actually used to create their games like Radiant was for Quake and relies on the game engine being installed seperately so an editor was dead easy for them ....

GameGuru is coded from scratch with an engine built in so its a pretty cool tool for one man
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 19:48
I don't even use the editor anymore, it's just a dumping ground for the entities I'm using, I use scripts to position everything at runtime.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 20:22
This explains why so many people have reviewed Game Guru and said its a level editor. Example above is a level editor and they do seem similar.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 22:02 Edited at: 15th Feb 2017 22:03
Quote: "This explains why so many people have reviewed Game Guru and said its a level editor. Example above is a level editor and they do seem similar."

Difference here is ...you save your game as a standalone with the engine built in .... With Farcry editor, Valves Hammer, GTK radiant and even UnrealED you simply save a file then run it in the actual game .... GG is actually a lot more complex than those editors ... Perhaps the reviewers didn't realise that ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 22:29 Edited at: 15th Feb 2017 22:30
I mean optically very similar at a first glance. The reviews come from very young people I noticed some are 15 years of age.

Interesting enough just before we went to Steam , I believe it was Rick that said Game Guru was aspiring to be like Gary's Mod and Minecraft. So more so a game than anything serious. Glad that's half not the case anymore.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2017 22:46
Quote: "This explains why so many people have reviewed Game Guru and said its a level editor. Example above is a level editor and they do seem similar."

This and significant customisation as well as scripting can not be done in the package directly as people come to expect from a game making package these days.
A lot of GG work is done outside of the GG software which people might not realize or even expect.

Quote: "The reviews come from very young people I noticed some are 15 years of age."

Yes. Steam is a gaming place thus this age group is monumentally represented. I was around that age as well when I first developed an interest in making games myself. I've found it quite fascinating to see that this community is mostly made up of people way older than GG's past target audience.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:21:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:21:03