Product Chat / loading performance 20 Minutes.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 10:00 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 10:38
I love GG very much and I hope you will improve the loading performance fast.
in evry update has small improvement in performance It seems to me that it is time to a big improvement for loading performance.
The only thing that prevents me from make a game and upload it to Steam is the loading performance, more then 20 Minutes to load my game. When I build a game with a large map that contains many items the loading time destroys the fun of the game (Why load the whole level game in one shot?) You know where the player will created you can load only what is found around the player then slowly load by the direction that the player was going and of course use with multiple processor cores.

my computer :

16BG RAM
SSD 512MB
I7 HQ
GTX 960M 4GB

loading time 20 Minutes

Please Please Please Please Please Please give priority to performance and loading performance.

I am here from the first version and any update i convince myself not to switch to another engine so please
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Good news and bad news ...
The good news ... Lee stated he had never done optimisations on loading so that will come and probably improve drastically

The bad news ... It wont be just yet ... AI is next and that will take some time plus the fact we are still working out how to deal with what comes after the AI overhaul so right now its a little open ended .... Who knows though .... Loading could become the next big priority ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not a religious person but I'll pray for it every day.
All the features I see in GG It's okay or good bat the loading time is bed!!!!
Thanks!!!
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 10:43
the best solution i think for now, is to make smaller and more levels . they load faster.. try not to put everything in one large level..

harry

Harry
When nothing goes right, go left
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 11:03 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 11:04
Sorry, i know that GameGuru has long loading issues, bu i seriously can't believe your level takes 20 minutes to load on the system you have. I've tried levels that are almost memory capped and i have never seen one load for more than six minutes, and my machine is only and i5 compared to your i7, although i do have a hybrid drive on it, even my old Q6600 with 8gb memory and an AMD 6770 SATAIII hdd has never taken more than ten minutes to load a GG level.

I agree GameGuru does have long loads, but not that long, not unless there is something wrong with your machine.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "bu i seriously can't believe your level takes 20 minutes to load on the system you have."

It does seem rather a long time and I have tested "Huge " Levels and very rarely does it take longer than a minute or so ?

I just created "Morning Mountain Stroll " as a standalone to test which is a huge detailed level ...Loading time for me ... 25 seconds
In fact it took a while to create the standalone as its so big .... Give that a try see how long that takes for you ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
Belidos : After reading what I wrote I decided to check with stopwatch.
The result will not surprise you : 11 Minutes 23 seconds ( Probably overreacted with 20 minutes) But the map is not complete and without Characters.
It should reach 20 minutes very soon.

Photos from the game :

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 12:22
Quote: "It should reach 20 minutes very soon."

You will hit memory cap well before then by the looks of it

As i said, even on my low end machine, with levels that are almost hitting the memory cap i've not seen much over ten minutes, and your machine which is much higher spec should be a lot faster than my low end one.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, dependant on the media used, you can have 20+ minutes load times. I had it with a level ages ago. Even test games took as long. Once I removed the suspect objects, it loaded in a reasonable time again. It seems to get stuck on AI obstacles when it happens. I couldn't say the exact models, all I know is they were from the city pack. It drove me crazy at the time as any slight change in the scene would ensure the ridiculous load time ensued.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to give you some idea how fast things are moving with Game Guru games "Morning Mountain Stroll" comes in at 850MB of Video memory and Wolfs Redacted - Hired Gun game clocks up a huge 2GB of Video memory.

Like me you can end up with maps of 3.5GB without even trying. If you are thinking about putting a game on Steam I think 2GB of video memory is tops.

Ryse Son of Rome by Crytek with full detail clocks up less then 2GB of Video Ram Memory on the level I tested.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 16:09
Quote: "Actually, dependant on the media used, you can have 20+ minutes load times. I had it with a level ages ago. Even test games took as long. Once I removed the suspect objects, it loaded in a reasonable time again. It seems to get stuck on AI obstacles when it happens. I couldn't say the exact models, all I know is they were from the city pack. It drove me crazy at the time as any slight change in the scene would ensure the ridiculous load time ensued."

Exactly, your issue was a bad model or two, it's not a common thing with the engine, it was a problem with an entity.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 01:05
Quote: "all I know is they were from the city pack."

Yes, I recall at least a couple entities (sidewalks or pavements or something like that) were set to dynamic by default. I had laid down several blocks' worth of them before testing. It took a while for me to realize what was going on. I had the "grungy" part of town with no pavement and shanties, and I would start the level there, running at around 50 fps (this was on my on my old XP desktop). Whenever I'd get to a paved area, it would go to around 2-5fps, lol. It was so dramatic a difference, but at the time I didn't realize that when you hovered your mouse over the entity, red meant static and green meant dynamic. I did realize it though after much frustration, lol. I don't know if those were ever fixed. I will check. Beware of those, though!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 01:59 Edited at: 10th Feb 2017 02:02
There is a way to improve this. But it would require a lot of work. For instance your concrete paths; if you bring them into a program like fragmotion, you can delete the 2 faces on the bottom of them and this will reduce your polycount. For objects like buildings I would recommend removing the faces off the bottoms of those too.

I'll do one of them for you since its a simple mesh.

- Download the pavement.x attachment file.
- Go to: Model Pack 2 > Scenery > Urban >
- Backup your original pavement.x file somewhere else that is located in the Urban folder
- copy the the downloaded pavement.x file into that folder.

All your pavements should now use less polys. Also, I just checked out all the FPE files for the pavement and curbs (kerbs) and they all appear to be static. So no worries there.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Exactly, your issue was a bad model or two, it's not a common thing with the engine, it was a problem with an entity."

Yes, but it is one reason why someone may be experiencing such long loading times and is a possible solution. The models are provided by TGC - you can't simply say that isn't an engine problem, when TGC provide the parts the engine uses.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-08 08:51:06
Your offset time is: 2024-07-08 08:51:06