Product Chat / Some EBE questions (Legit confused)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 01:28
Hey all!

First of all. I've been gone for a long while, but learned a lot of texture stuff the last year. Now, I picked up GameGuru again and started struggling with the custom textures. I got a few questions.

1. What do the letters stand for in the bottom right corner?
2. I noticed there are two types of files. A Texture file and a Texture diffuse file. How do I make them correctly, and how do I make 'em work with eachother?

I tried it myself with a generic .png set up having the Diffuse, Specular and the normalmaps as individual textures. And the palette from the EBE becomes confusing then.

The difference
The GG standard set-up

My set-up

Now. I know the difference, which I didn't see at first. That they actually have specific formats to them. But 'eh.. How to make this work for me?

And finally, the last one:
I did manage to use the diffuse for a floor tile, however, when I rotated the tile, the texture (with a straight line in the middle, keeps pointing the same way)

Anyone able to offer some assistance?

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 01:39
The letters in the lower corner represent the sound that the material will make in game.
M for Metal, material ID 2
S for Stone, Material ID 1
W for wood, Material ID 4

Your custom textures should be 1024 x 1024 and be tile able.
Put them into the Game Guru\Files\ebebank\texturesource folder. Diffuse, Normal and Specular maps needed for full shader effects. _D, _N, _S. The _S texture has an alpha channel in it for some reason that I am not sure why yet. Save this one at DXT 5 format. All textures used in the Beta so far have been .dds format. Not sure about .tga and .png files working proper yet.

The maps you choose in the EBE editor will be combined into a 4096 x 4096 sheet and the normals and spec will be auto generated to make the sheet. Sheet names can be changed I believe for you to have different ones for later use.

For your last question I will have to play with it to see if I can get an answer for you.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 01:46
Quote: "or your last question I will have to play with it to see if I can get an answer for you."

I just did and he's right. I believe that is a bug! All the textures I've used so far have been seamless in all directions but I tried that wall texture with the wood at the top as a floor texture and it does as he said.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 01:50
ok, Thanks for confirming.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Peke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 01:51
Alright. Thanks for the initial assistance. I'll make sure to add the alpha channel to the specmap then. Thanks for the explanation.

Also; I'll report it as a bug. Maybe Lee can fix that
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 11:15
The rotation system only rotates the cube pattern, not the textures, which are intended to be seamless material textures. Having a texture which is only seamless in one direction was not intended. The blank texture was added so you could do wooden walkways, but it should not be used to tile a large area as it is not properly seamless. You will find when you start rotating supposed seamless textures, all hell breaks loose for most textures.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Peke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 07:21
Quote: "The rotation system only rotates the cube pattern, not the textures, which are intended to be seamless material textures. Having a texture which is only seamless in one direction was not intended. The blank texture was added so you could do wooden walkways, but it should not be used to tile a large area as it is not properly seamless. You will find when you start rotating supposed seamless textures, all hell breaks loose for most textures."

Aha. To come and think of it, it makes sense in the context you're describing it. I remember days back in x9 where I saw things come along with the most horrible seams possible, so I fully understand what you mean. I guess I'll have to make a few variations on the textures I made to make sure they do what I want. I was hoping for a quick way of doing it, but you're giving me more work.. Which is fine; Game design is not meant for lazy people!

Thanks for the clarification, The bug thread that is corresponding with this thread is thus rendered obsolete. But our of curiosity, I am going to ask it: Is the EBE going to support rotatable textures in the future? Or is it going to remain this way?
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 10:33
It will remain as is for now, but you are welcome to rotate the texture you import which will give you the effect you need minus the memory saving.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 10:48 Edited at: 10th Feb 2017 10:49
Quote: "It will remain as is for now, but you are welcome to rotate the texture you import which will give you the effect you need minus the memory saving."

I've found that there is some kind of caching involved here with the EBE textures, the texture i mentioned a while back as being upside down i edited in GIMP and overwrote the original, but when i went into the builder it was still upside down, even on a new build after closing down and re-loading GameGuru, i had to rename it to get it to work.

So those of you who want to edit existing textures, make sure your new texture is saved under a different name to avoid this.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
Peke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 13:14
Yeah. I noticed that. Was scratching my head again. Hah.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 04:02
The EBE texture pallet re compiles itself after you add each new texture. Those files are stored here.
Game Guru\Files\ebebank\default folder.

They have a unique name for each new one.
7360230964747191413_D.dds

New textures you want to be available in the EBE must be tile able and reside in this folder.
Game Guru\Files\ebebank\texturesource

Check these file locations to be sure the EBE texture pallet is the same.

Might be a few more things that I am missing. Will research it more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 12:45:39
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 12:45:39