Product Chat / I have more questions about the Game Guru software

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I recently bought the game guru software and I now have a few questions. I admit, that some of these questions may sound stupid, but I'm just try to learn more about the software and what is possible in it and I'm trying learn what others have done in some of the scenarios below. Thus, my questions involves:

1) Slow Downs: Does anybody have constant issues with their game slowing down? I do understand that having too many entities in a game could slow the game down (and frame rates down). Thus, what do some of you do to keep your game speed running fast when making your game? Do you mostly choose entities with low polygon or do choose to put in less entities in your game?

2) Controls: Is there a way to change the initial controls in my game. For example, let's say I'd want the arrow keys to be used to for my character to move around and I'd want the A button to be used for shooting and the S button to be used for jumping. Finally, I'd want the < and > keys to be use for looking around (instead of the mouse). Thus, how do I adjust these things?

3) The one level scenario and lack of teleportation: I heard through the grapevine that everything in Game Guru is tailored towards open world (initially). So, if my characters goes into a building, is it possible to put the INSIDE PARTS of the building on ANOTHER place one the initial map and just teleport my character to THAT place on the map to give the appearance that my character is inside of the building when he or she is actually in another place on the initial map (I hope this makes sense). Are there pre-made scripts for teleporting my character as described above or are there certain buttons that I could use for this. Is only one level possible in this software?

Again, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm asking stupid questions. I'm just learning and am a newbie and I consider myself to be an amateur game developer too.

Thanks
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 08:15 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 08:18
Quote: "The one level scenario and lack of teleportation"

There is no "one level scenario" and there is no "lack of teleportation".

You can make as many levels as you want, then link them together via the winzone. You can have them teleport to any entity you like in the map by using the teleportinzone in a trigger zone script.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
1...You can optimise your maps to get really good constant framerates but its all down to planning .... Putting all your AI on the map at once will almost certainly kill it .... However spawning your enemy at the right time will make a huge difference and make for better Gameplay..

Don't spray thousands of trees in small area's ... Anything in the distance you will never interact with ( trees Maybe ) you can turn the physics off in the properties before spraying ...There is loads you can do that are just sensible optimisations any developer would use ..

2... You can change your key configuration in the "setup.ini" to a point ... I don't think you can change fire buttons though ..

3... Yes setting up teleports is easy using triggers and the "transportinzone.lua " and can also be used seamlessly from one location on the map to another
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The one level scenario and lack of teleportation"

Where are you getting your info from? It's outdated at best. Multi levels have been available for ages and teleportation even longer.

For game speed, having both lower polygon counts and less objects will always speed things up in any engine. The lower the better, so normally best to err on the side of caution. Even if you have a map running reasonably well, adding AI in can slow things even more, so be wary of that also. Spending time on this always reaps dividends for me. It can be a long time consuming job though and you have to know your way round Blender or a similar 3D package quite well.

Being new, your best bet is to check out some tutorials. I do quite a few on my Youtube page, just search for retrogamebloke There are plenty others as well, including some official ones on Game Guru's Youtube page. Also, just play around a little with some quick basic maps to get used to the controls and keyboard shortcuts, perhaps check out the default lua scripts so you can see what is and isn't available. You should get into the swing of things fairly quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrYm-qu_t31Ryb-7HYnZsog

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
En929
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Where are you getting your info from? It's outdated at best."

I think you're right LOL. I think the information that I got about Game Guru probably applies to long ago maybe when it first came out. The old information can be very confusing compared to now.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 18:55 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 20:36
Quote: "Where are you getting your info from? It's outdated at best. Multi levels have been available for ages and teleportation even longer.
"

I've seen dozens and dozens of comments about this on Steam, Youtube and other forums. Seems people believe Game-Guru to be a single map editor (its even resulted in negative reviews). So somewhere along the lines it hasn't been made clear that it is possible. To be honest I personally have yet to even play around with it.

I'm a bit concerned that if i have say an overworld map and two buildings you could enter a new map to... that when you exit the player will just go back to its original start maker position. Is that true?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 10:52
My understanding is that all LUA globals are reset when a new level loads, so there would be no way to retain information to 'jump' the player to the desired starting position. The only way I know how would be to write the location to a file, then load that file back in when the next level starts. It's possible, but by no means 'out of the box' simple.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 20:34
Good to know! I've been playing too much Fallout and Skyrim and often find myself wanting to replicate their style of open world play. I should consider making my projects a bit more linear. Not entirely a bad thing. Just have to replan how I will be putting together my maps.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 12:52:25
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 12:52:25