Product Chat / Characters removed from classic lib.

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 14:03
Why they have been removed from the classic lib?

Lees post:

"Replaced Freaks\Elhumongo and removed Viral Outbreak\Jaws and Medusa from asset library"
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 18:54
It came to my attention that they are actually remarkably good recreations of Resident Evil 4 and 5 characters, and I want to avoid any issues over copyright, even if it's copyright over character design rather than digital works. I have, however, kept the characters in a separate file in case anyone wants them as community art, rather than media we 'sell' as part of GameGuru.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 20:46 Edited at: 25th Jan 2017 20:51
Good, to avoid any trouble...
I saw the game on greenlight...
What about the "spiky" character, he looks very similar to the "jaws" char.
PM
cloudwalker
Years of Service
User Offline
I was sad to see the female character in a long skirt missing from the update... From the post nuclear pack.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 11:25
@cloudwalker : Can you be more specific as I do not recall removing any female characters, and I don't think we do a pack called 'Post Nuclear'? Perhaps this is a third party community pack you bought?
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

TechCo
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 11:40
What is post nuclear I don't know any pack named post nuclear.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 17:37 Edited at: 26th Jan 2017 17:42
post nuclear = post apocalypse (or Post Apocalytic as it's named in the classic folder)
not sure which character is being referred to though but there is a female civilian character in the classic pack (just select Classics\Characters)
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 05:09
We might want to remove the image displaying Jaws in the DLC on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/496580
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
korodai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 02:46
Wastelanders FPSC Pack #51 had some nice characters. One was a female with a long skirt. I haven't seen them anywhere in GameGuru.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 03:52 Edited at: 28th Jan 2017 05:16
I don't think we got the official okay to distribute? Can't recall who was the original author of that one. They do however work in Game-Guru.

I am working on the Ancient Roman pack right now but may take awhile before I can release it. Has lots of bugs since its multi-textures and lot of weird things are happening with the limbs for most of the characters. However this one Roman Solider is turning out quite fine. May release him sometime next week. I'm just plugging away mostly at its LUA script.

When finished it will be posted here: http://freetoronto.org/gameguru/
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 09:18
Quote: "It came to my attention that they are actually remarkably good recreations of Resident Evil 4 and 5 characters, and I want to avoid any issues over copyright"

From my legal point of view (and the one of some of the most experienced game development lawyers), recreating a design from another game that is not explicitly protected as design itself is greyzoned at worst, and for sure no copyright issue on its own. And if there was any copright violation, the damage for you is already done.

Don't get me wrong - I can understand why you play better safe than sorry, I perhaps would do that myself.

But as TGC had sold the model pack with those "recreations" for years and many of of us have the proof in form of receipts and purchase confirmations, you as company are the one legally responsible for any past, current and future usage by customers untill the end of all times anyway.
So you can as well put them back in.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 13:34
i totally agree with ertlov. any problems would of already arisen from years ago. and as they were a sold pck it cant really be pulled if you know what i mean, it is not exact and the games are not that new and so any complications that may arise, maybe add a disclaimer that anyone uses these do so at their own risk
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 14:22
Ertlov, but you saw what happened at greenlight with the game from the guy.
All the users said it's from RE4, 5.... so using it now in a GG game is not a good idea anymore.
Because the kids will think you stole it from RE4(5) and this will have an impact on your later released game... (they will follow you and burn you alive)

I was close to use that character too, good that I saw the other game on greenlight before I added the char. to my game.

I just hope, that there are not more hidden little time bombs in the classic or any other DLC packs...
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 15:18 Edited at: 28th Jan 2017 15:22
Quote: "Ertlov, but you saw what happened at greenlight with the game from the guy.
All the users said it's from RE4, 5.... so using it now in a GG game is not a good idea anymore."

Yeah, giving it a little bit more thought, I have to agree on that. Perhaps a good idea to not include it in GG.

However, I was speaking more from a legal point of view regarding to the fact that it was sold in a TGC FPSC model pack. You can't "undo" that easily.

Technically, TGC would have to contact each purchaser who had bought the pack, explain the situation, fully refund all of them, and, if someone already has included them in a commercial game, ask to pull the games - which would of course trigger the need to fully compensate for loss of revenues due to that. I don't think this would be a desired outcome for anyone of us.

And it's time to give another important advice on usage of store assets & model packs, no matter if here or Unity or Unreal store: If the packs you use include any design that *could* be copyrighted, contact the original designer / IP holder before putting it in a commercial game. This is especially important for weapons. As an example, I see Glock pistols on several marketplaces, and I can assure you, Glock HAS protected its designs against usage in any media and will sue you to death if they find out you have their weapons in your game.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 15:36 Edited at: 28th Jan 2017 15:39
Something would happen... if...
Someone would create a very successful game with the character, then maybe Capcom would wake up and do something, maybe...
But there's is no blockbuster GG/FPSC game with sales in the millions, so nothing will happen.

Btw. the classic character "spiky" is also a very close adaption of the RE4 character "iron maiden"

* I don't like Glock, they look ugly. Sorry, I know it's an austrian product... but they are ugly.
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 15:46
We have "Spiky" in "Into the Dark", which has sold overall 100.000 copies or so, and still didn't get a slap on our wrists, so yeah, I assume there won't be much fuzz in the future. However, I can understand when someone plays better safe than sorry.

And as for the Glock - you are right. I prefer Walther and Beretta personally.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 16:03
Well, maybe "spiky" was not so visible in your game...
100.000 is an impressive number for indies and smaller companies.
But would be rated as disaster in bigger companies.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy with 100k sales.
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 16:52
Yeah, I know, I have worked on many games where the sales were counted in the millions.

But we were visible enough, Press Coverage, award ceremonies and Youtube and even on several TV stations (because of the kinda controversial stuff inside). However, you are right, Spiky had only a very brief guest appearance at the end of the game. So, perhpas we were invisible after all
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 20:53
No, not you were invisible...
only spiky was hidding his b.... very good
PM
shivers
Years of Service
User Offline
hello
Personally I think its a bunch of bull how any one can clam the rights to anything as there own idea is beyond me take zombies for instance neither resident evil or any one else came up with this Idea. Zombies have been around since time started. So if we go by copy write laws every zombie game out there should be giving money to whoever came up with the word zombie and I bet you they didn't . This goes for every thing if you have something inspire you to write a song or make a game I bet half of the stuff we use or like should be copy written. In which case we cant make video games or do anything else for that matter because some one has either inspired us or done it first including going to the bath room. And don't say songs are there own either something inspired them and I bet they don't give credit to any of it. But you let some one make a buck and now they should get money. But its not for me to say if the law say so the law says so. But I still think its bull.
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2017 22:48
Well...ok.
But you should look again at the GG character "Jaws" and the RE4 character "Regenerador" they are very very similar...
This could be a problem.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 12:11:25
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 12:11:25