Product Chat / What is the Dimensions of the Grid?

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 04:49 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 05:26
I'm trying to put together a working apartment style elevator. You press a button to open it... walk in... press to close and it takes you to another floor. However the dimensions don't seem to be adding up. I'm told the grid size is 100" segments. When I set these dimensions in 3DsMax I don't seem to be getting the correct results. Even when I bring in a segment that fits the GG grid into 3DsMAX it seems very small in comparison to 100" cubical. I've always had problems in 3DsMax when creating the correct size for the grids that GG and FPSC uses.

I've even attempted to use 254cm (8' 4") as recommend years ago, which seems to tally 100 inches but appears too big in the GG's grid. Whereas segments from FPSC fit perfectly. What am I doing wrong here?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 04:51 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 05:51
I've solved the problem: I unchecked Generate World Map Size and it seems to be scaled properly now.

This image probably makes absolutely no sense visually, but it shows that everything is now to scale. The blocks sticking out are actually punch blocks I'll be using in 3DSMAX to cut into the elevator cube. Also the texture is just obviously a placeholder.

EDIT: here is the 3DSMAX solid basic foundation complete and to scale. Depending on the EBE dimensions work I may have to make some adjustments.

Does the EBE use the same scale? 100 cubical inches (254cm | 8' 4") ?
I'm currently just using my custom Segment Builder I've been working on which utilizes old FPSC files.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

Attachments

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 10:48
I am not sure about cubical inches, but I can say that the Easy Building Editor grid is nicely sliced into 100x100x100 units (each with 20x20x20 cubes). It;s the same 100 units that the current grid system uses to place things down at 100 unit spaces, and the height of the rooms and corridors of the Asylum. The reason the 100 unit is not translated to real-world metrics is that I always used the raw values and pumped them directly into DirectX, and the API has no concept of inches or centimeters. I am happy to take any entity you produce and confirm it will fit on the EBE grid.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 21:46
Awesome! If its the same grid size it should work. I just started playing around with it at 100 units and with the grid and it works quite nicely. No overlaps. When I have it more refined I'll consider it for EBE testing. Struggling with some basic animation problems.

Be really cool to produce things for use with the EBE in mind.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 04:37 Edited at: 26th Jan 2017 04:41
Okay things seem to be working out with the grid. There are some very strange bugs I encountered that I havn't figured out how to replicate. But since this isn't using the EBE system yet, I'll wait till then.

For those that like to criticize absolutely anything posted in the forums lately... keep in mind this is a WIP and no the elevator doesn't take you to different floors yet. Also the door is opening closing on loop intentionally. Also the textures are not completed. So no buttons or floor indicators yet. Nor any sound effects.

Attachments

lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks really nice!
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 18:22
Thanks! Some strange bug happens where you cannot enter it at all after several times of saving the project. I'm not sure if i should tackle that issue or wait for the EBE so I can see how this works with it. Since its currently using my segment builder which may be the cause of the problem.

Also wondering if anyone knows how to add collisions to the doors? The doors are part of the actual elevator space as a single model. But the doors you can just walk right through. Is the only way to make these collisions work is by making the doors a separate entity?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 13:02:01
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 13:02:01