Product Chat / How to put model on model more accurately?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
if i press Enter to put model on model or dragging with the arrows to put it side by side more accurately It's moving too fast If I near the models and it is very difficult to be accurately and if i far it's difficult to see the accuracy. Is there a way to move slowly or pixel after pixel or something similar.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 15:40
No, but if the models are of similar size edges, then you can use the edge align feature in gameguru, press B while the object is on the cursor then position it close to the edge, it should with a little shifting line up.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
'B' is good if the models in a exact size that suits GG. but this model is not. surprisingly there is no place where you can adjust the position with numbers. Perhaps on the following updates. I love GG but these little things depress me.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "surprisingly there is no place where you can adjust the position with numbers"

Agreed, although not a surprise exactly. Been saying we need a more precise way to place objects for ages. An option in the properties would do. I also find that it can be very difficult to get things perfectly placed at times.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 16:53
True, it doesn't have to be exactly the same size though, they can be different sizes, but they have to be of similar (cant think of the word!) orientation? scale? something like that, minds gone dead.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 20:51
Actually it's relatively easy. If you look at all my store content, some media has been exported to exact height and place of where it needs to be placed on a model.This allows you to grid snap and use normal snapping with ease, you do need to place the model first of flat ground first, extract it then place on the model as it needed and this is irrespective of size and shape of the model

It's not particularly difficult once you grasp how snapping works in gameguru, nothing beats the method I use.

Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 22:02
Quote: "Been saying we need a more precise way to place objects for ages"

If 3D models are made with center at 0,0,0 and some size like 1,1,1, it should be easy to align models within integer units.
Otherwise you can use vertex snapping and alignment, i don't know if these options are available in GG ?

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 03:36 Edited at: 21st Jan 2017 04:16
One thing I love about the Creation Kit Engine is you can input your own increments (height included). Though with GG being "the easy game maker" I'm not sure if we'd get any additional support in this area. As numbers in an input field might not be welcomed...
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 04:32
@Mouaa

While a centered model is the easiest to work with it isn't the only rule...

It doesn't have to be centered, nor does the dimensions have to match X,Y,Z , if you check the video above you will notice the roof fan is 50, 150, 0 and it still aligns perfectly with normal snapping as well as grid snapping.

It simply has to have the coordinates of the grid if the dimensions of a model is 105, 155, 100, the dimension of Z being the most important in the case of snapping a corridor for example , exporting that model the center will be -0.25, 155, 0 all subsequent models that need to align to the corridor wall will need to match the X co-ordinate and then X co-ordinate can be any thing you like if you wanted, as long as it is 100 followed by an increment of -.025, z co-ordinate can be increments of a 100.The only constant would be Z in this case. In other words I can export the above model with a center of -202.5, 155 , 400 and it will still perfectly align to a model with a center of 102.5, 155, -100.

That said with the grid system in mind it is always best to keep model dimensions of X and z at increments of a 100 in order to make snapping and modeling easier especially if you want to align models on those axis, like the corridors for example.You can always model an additional model layer to break up the asymmetrical aspects then and it simply needs to have the parent co-ordinates in order to snap correctly with grid, or normal snapping with in the model.

Forgot to mention, you can actually take it one further, you can have a model with any dimension you like, for example 1055.433, 1066, 2000 while this being a very large model for example you can slice Z into 10 slices of 200 and export it at the slice increments and it will perfectly align in the models editor as long as the original center of the model Z matched the grid at zero

Take it one step further and slice X into 10 slices of 105,5433 and export at slice co-ordinates.Every thing will follow snapping perfectly, each parent model then needs to follow those co-ordinates, I haven't done it in a while can't remember if the whole model X co-ordinate before slicing needs to be a 0, but I seem to remember you only need one constant being Z for example to be at zero for the normal and grid snapping to work as it should.

Essentially it doesn't need to be 0, 0, 0, as long as it follows grid dimensions and dimension and grid rules and has at least one constant and the parent co-ordinates match, any thing goes.

Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 10:44:07
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 10:44:07