Product Chat / Does EBE comes with cartoon textures or can I add myself cartoon textures to build cartoon structures?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does EBE comes with cartoon textures or can I add myself cartoon textures to build cartoon structures?
and A similar question for character creator, can I add myself parts for character Creator to build cartoon character?
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 11:53
There is no built-in cartoon effect in GameGuru, the GemWorld demo uses specially modeled 3D to create that effect and it can be quite performance intensive to render them. What you are ideally looking for is a new post process shader for cartoon rendering which can take regular geometry but render it as cartoon rendering, and in this case, the EBE would provide the building geometry and the post process cartoon renderer would handle the cartoon look. As to when we will see GameGuru support cartoon post process rendering, you might want to ask Preben who has been experimenting with this
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 11:59 Edited at: 19th Jan 2017 12:00
I think he probably means cartoon textures like this ...

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
i mean cartoon textures like Belidos said. not the structure only the the textures.

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 15:27
Quote: "i mean cartoon textures like Belidos said. not the structure only the the textures."

I doubt there will be any to start with, because it will be limited to a palette of 16 textures, and i think more people will want more "realistic" textures than cartoon ones, however from what i have seen it is pretty easy to swap out those textures for your own ones, so if you find some decent ones you like then you can always make your own palette.

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 15:32 Edited at: 19th Jan 2017 15:33
I would have been happy to commission extra content like this, but I had a lot of flak in 2016 from Steam users about adding DLC to GameGuru, which means I cannot instigate new DLC revenue to fund the creation of extra content like this. The only resource left is revenue from the core product, and I want to put all of that into working on the core engine in 2017. Pity there isn't a way to create a pot that people can contribute to, and when it's full, an artist is commissioned to create the desired art. I suppose the only fallback is to find artists within the community who might be able to supply you directly with the textures you need. One day I'm going to calculate how much it has cost to create all the assets in GameGuru to date, I bet it's a HUGE number
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
is the ebe editor setting going to stay at EBE Spec (max 20x20x20)
so we can create more complex shapes. such as circle windows.
as 20x20x20 is not going to give a refined edge on a circle.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 23:51
I have deliberately kept the first incarnation of the Easy Building Editor super simple as I wanted to avoid at all costs falling into the trap of recreating a 3D modeler in GameGuru. No sense re-inventing the wheel with so many excellent 3D creation tools out there. I'd rather put such surplus energy into better ways to import popular content! The primary purpose of the EBE is to originate large structures quickly and easily using custom textures and then producing fast rendering and collision geometry from the result. In the building trade, any large construction starts with a large flat foundation, followed by wood, bricks, steel and/or concrete in large flat slabs (for the most part). You then add the details such as door frames, windows, coving, gutters, roofs, drain pipes and a thousand other functional essentials to craft a working building, and that's before you decorate and furnish your house. It's highly likely you won't want to start modeling all these incidentals yourself one polygon at a time (that's why we like 3D artists so much) but I do see a need to associate pre-made incidentals to the basic structure, and this is something we can explore once the first version of the EBE is out the door. Even armed with nothing more than cubes, you can do a huge amount of construction that was not possible within GameGuru before, and by observing how this first version is used we can decide the best way to go about "first and second fix" in the process of designing a convincing building. It also means we can move swiftly onto A.I and get those pesky enemies running up the staircase to the roof, whereupon they will delight in lobbing grenades down at anyone who passes! I can only speak from personal experience, but the EBE is great fun to use right now and I find myself making buildings just for the hell of it.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 23:57
P.S. I did have the CRAZY idea of bringing back some kind of localized CSG (Constructive Solid Geometry) system to the EBE process so that doors and windows can be 'cut' into the walls, floors and ceilings. I abandoned CSG from the old FPSC Reloaded engine because each time you built a level, you had to wait for this expensive CSG step. With the new EBE, each building is optimized and stored as a finished 3D model long before the level is placed in Test Game mode, so this time-consuming step no longer exists. It is for this reason that my mind opened the door a little on the return of CSG punching (associated with special entities that can be attached to an EBE construction). That said, it's not part of my roadmap for the first version, just something I thought of for one possible future, and before someone cuts and pastes this into the 'history of what Lee promised', I am in no way promising this feature so please do not plan your projects around this feature ever being implemented!

seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 23:59
Quote: "I would have been happy to commission extra content like this, but I had a lot of flak in 2016 from Steam users about adding DLC to GameGuru, which means I cannot instigate new DLC revenue to fund the creation of extra content like this."

First off, most of the people on steam are stupid trolls. Second thing Lee. You are the boss. Do what ever you want.
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.Intel core i5-2300cpu @2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
RAM 16 gb G-Skill G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory

AMD Radeon HD 6670. ASUS Radeon HD 6670 DirectX 11 EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
Memory Size
1GB
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 03:15 Edited at: 20th Jan 2017 03:16
Quote: "Second thing Lee. You are the boss. Do what ever you want."
I agree with this. DLC material helps pay the bills. If the Steam community don't like dlc's they don't have to purchase them.
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.58 Ghz , 6 gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 03:34
Quote: "DLC material helps pay the bills. If the Steam community don't like dlc's they don't have to purchase them."

Agreed! People seem to love to complain about pretty much anything and everything these days. Bless the anonymity of the internet, lol. What the hell could be wrong with more content? I have read some of those complaints. They seem to think it's the equivalent of today's printers (e.g. the printer costs $50, the cartridges cost $20. Each. We need 4 to print. $80 more just to keep it functioning!). When rationally thought out, though, DLCs and other packs offer by far the most bang for the buck. Especially TGCs packs, as they come with no restrictions on Engine use, etc. I think that, in particular, is a great decision, as it should encourage sales. But, then again, I'm just me. I realized a long time ago that not everybody thinks like me, lol. Just one read through Steam or any comment section of any news outlet and I am sure we are all doomed! I'm just thankful I decided long ago never to do Facebook or Twitter!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 09:04 Edited at: 20th Jan 2017 09:05
You can download a motherload of free cartoon textures at "filterforge.com"

I also agree with what others said. GG's core user base is here and not on steam.

Quote: "I did have the CRAZY idea of bringing back some kind of localized CSG (Constructive Solid Geometry) system to the EBE process so that doors and windows can be 'cut' into the walls, floors and ceilings."

Very cool!!
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 09:29 Edited at: 20th Jan 2017 09:30
Yeah, ignore Steam trolls, there are countless products on Steam that make all their money from upgrades, which is essentially DLC.

So if you want to make DLC's for those that love and actually use Game Guru then do it.

People can either buy it or not. Buying content from any other site will cost them way, way more - their choice!

As Wolf said the real (core) Guru users are here not on Steam (wish that thing would just evaporate!)

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 09:59
Part of what i think the problem with the Steam crowd is that they see anything that you buy extra as DLC in the same way as they think of DLC in games liek COD etc.

These people who complain "OH NO MOAR DLC", have gotten used to DLC in games meaning your product becomes almost obsolete without getting the new DLC because you can't play the same maps etc as your friends if you don't buy it.

They don't seem to understand that the type of DLC we have is purely extra models and in no way renders the software obsolete if they don't buy it.

I think that is why there were so many complaints, they just couldn't wrap their heads around the idea that not buying it in no way effects their ability to use the software.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 11:57
Quote: "I also agree with what others said. GG's core user base is here and not on steam. "

Never go to the steam forum,only use steam because I have no choise.everything I need is right here.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
LeighAndrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 11:59 Edited at: 20th Jan 2017 12:07
What's the difference between the Steam store DLC, the TGC store or any other game engine media store? Absolutely nothing, so there's no issue here... Please release more media packs if you so wish... I will buy them. They are great! Especially the Fantasy and Sci Fi ones! A basic 'dress up' kit would be cool with various doors etc that fit 'seamlessly' into the EBE, for us idiots and lazy people (like me)!

P.S I still haven't forgotten about that Drone you were supposed to release for the Sci Fi pack. Are you saving it for a future one?
PM
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
the CSG would be fantastic addition to the EBE.
perhaps you could amend the option sooner rather than later the ebe has a lot of potential
like you said foundations first fix are important, and we could do second and third fixes our
selves . i personally had doubts about the EBE but must say it is looking like it could be a great tool.
so proved me wrong in thinking it was a waste of time,
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 10:43:03
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 10:43:03