Product Chat / Questions i have before buying?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, i was thinking of making a game and got some questions before buying?

1. Is it possible to make games with a storyline

2. Is it possible to have game characters lip sync to audio files

3. Is it possible to have them walk around like it's a busy day and they got things to do?

4. Is it possible to have different levels and once something happens it will change to another level?

5. Is it hard to make models and animations? like someone at a control panel doing something and then he leaves then goes to another control panel?

This is just a start for now, i want to make a game that has a story and i want to make sure i can do it before buying.
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 14:26 Edited at: 17th Jan 2017 14:32
Hi and welcome to the forums

I may not be the best person to answer your questions but I will give it a try

1. do you mean quests or written instructions take a look at this https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216846
2. as far as I know GG does not have headshots or full face maybe possible
3. this sounds like smallG would be able to help there are scripts that allow yo to do almost anything
4. most definitely
5. this depends on your experience with modelling there are already over 5GB of assets you can use I myself have started to learn blender its quite addictive once you get into it

I'm sure there are better people on this forum that can help you but if you are interested in game making I can recommend GG and this forum
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 14:47
2. Used to be able to be done in Classic. There is no easy way in Game Guru other then to make a cut scene with your favorite model software and a video editing program.

3. The number of AI that can be on at the same time can be limiting depending on the complexity of the character and the number of animations that are in each one. They can be set up on the waypoint system with simple scripts.

5. This depends on your desire to make it happen. There is Make Human and Fuse to make your character, then they would need to be rigged and animated. You can combine character and consoles together and do some great stuff for background animations for your maps. Lot of learning and lots of trial and error.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
All of things are possible technically, however you need a lot more than Game Guru to achieve them all. If you are new to game dev and have a grand idea you want to make, then maybe you may want to lower your expectations a little and go a little smaller. Yu Suzuki didn't just start into making games and make Shenmue, he had a whole history of arcade games behind him first Also a big team of talented game devs

All possible, but to do it all yourself would take a long time and a lot of work just to learn the skills needed for all those things. I'd forget about lip sync for a start, unless you are already a highly skilled 3D animator and modeller. It has to be done well to work, and many games I see that try it, are not done well.

My WIP will need all of those things (bar lip sync, I'll be happy enough without it I think, and no way to add with my skill set). It's an unfortunate issue with game dev that you need so many skills to make an entire game. An author just needs to be creative and be able to write, whereas making a game requires much, much more.

You might be better off with a bigger engine with addons to help really, but if your new, as before I suggest you start smaller. Game Guru is a lot easier to get into than Unreal or Unity.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 20:04
Check out any of my many 'what you can do with GG' threads, yes you need to learn Lua scripting to do these things but as I tend to give my scripts away you at least have a head start as you can see how I did it.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Capta1n_GuitarHero
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you guys for everyone help, i remember something about a character making, also something about making your own animations on a video?

Maybe i will buy it and run some tests
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2017 16:17
Hello!!

I've always been of the opinion that honesty is the best policy so I won't sugarcoat anything.
What you are trying to do is very hard. In every game engine including this one.

Quote: "1. Is it possible to make games with a storyline"

Absolutely!

However, you'll have to write a very reduced storyline that you'll be able to tell with the tools that you have. Grand conversations with fully animated characters like they are now standart even in middle market console games are nearly impossible for the lone developer.
I've seen it done with some charm and people on here and other forums being very creative about story telling mechanics. Just note that its really hard to do.
The best game storylines are simple yet steeped in a deep and complex lore. That way you can hint at a lot and rely more on visual story telling rather than character interactions.
An extremely good example of a storyline suitable for an amateur game would be the penumbra series. (Or later Amnesia)

If you wish to rely on fully voiced characters you'll have to balance it really carefully. Amateur voice acting is often closer to cringeworthy than to engaging and players tend to have a low tolerance for stiff animations and low to zero cost voicework. If you are not afraid to rely on texted dialogues (like back in the day...morrowind for example) your game will likely come across as more mature and polished.

However, its possible. The people at SureAI released several fully voiced games and they really hold up.

Just look at the tools at your disposal first and write down a storyline with them in mind.
A final tip: A short, 6 level plot about a knight rescuing a princess (for example) is 100% more likely to result in something playable than a giant visionary plot spanning the fate of entire nations.

Quote: "2. Is it possible to have game characters lip sync to audio files"

We had a feature like this in FPSCreator and I'm hoping for it to make a comeback.
Currently its not possible in-engine. You'd have to rely on external 3D software to do this. While its possible, its not very practical for newcomers. (or cheap to get the right tools...not cheap at all!)

Quote: "3. Is it possible to have them walk around like it's a busy day and they got things to do?"

Sure! Its just a string of waypoints and animations. However this too will not be easy to script depending on how complex you want it to be.

Quote: "4. Is it possible to have different levels and once something happens it will change to another level?"

Yes. This is the easiest item on the list. Note that you can save the same map under different file names and thus be able to reload it as another level with mild changes if need be.

Quote: "5. Is it hard to make models and animations? like someone at a control panel doing something and then he leaves then goes to another control panel?"

Yes. Very hard. Modeling and animating, especially humans is a craft that will take years to master. However, you can modify purchased or stock assets that usually also come with animations and so forth. Texturing and retexturing is an essential skill for every game designer. There are helpful software suites like fuse or makehuman to help you achieve this tough. Still not an easy thing to learn.

I hope this was not discouraging for you but I feel like it'd be better for you that you know what to expect before plunging in.

-Wolf

Capta1n_GuitarHero
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much, as long the code is not too hard to do i might have a crack at it.

Maybe i will have to make another game and see how it goes and do some testing to make sure
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
There is plenty to play with and get used to before the need to code ...and even then there are free scripts around you can get that may give you what you need
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 10:59:27
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 10:59:27